PDA

View Full Version : Roasted stuffed chicken breast

Ulysses
11-15-2005, 11:22 PM
This is what I am trying out today.

Parmesan, cheddar, and swiss. Horseradish, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix that all up and stuff chicken breast.

Lightly oil outside and put some more seasonings on it.

Stick in 350 oven for 30-45 minutes.

While waiting it to be done, I am listening to Metallica through my window. They are opening for the Rolling Stones. Sound is not quite as good tonight.

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2005, 11:34 PM
what a life /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

miajag81
11-15-2005, 11:34 PM
You eat g00t.

Barrett's Last Privateer
11-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Nice work.

Did you consider also adding some slices of prosciutto, pancetta or other suitable pork product?

I reckon it'd prolly go good with some other herbs in the mix as well. Tarragon perhaps?

astroglide
11-15-2005, 11:39 PM
sounds pretty boring to me. i guess i would enjoy it more if i made it though, just because i would have made it.

HDPM
11-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds good. The chicken that is. Metallica, meh.

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently tried out the rack of pork they sell at costco. I doused it overnight in olive oil, soy sayce, wostershire, salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary. Oh and a bunch of fresh minced garlic. Then roasted it up the next day with the goo from the marinade and more rosemary and sage. I think some more salt and pepper. Goot. Have another in the refrigerator. Picked up a lower end pinot today that may go with it. Get you one of the rack 'o porks at costco I say.

Ulysses
11-15-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice work.

Did you consider also adding some slices of prosciutto, pancetta or other suitable pork product?

I reckon it'd prolly go good with some other herbs in the mix as well. Tarragon perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all of that sounds great. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I neglected to add some more herbs, just an oversight. I definitely think some oregano or tarragon would have been good. Pork product would have been added if I had any, but I was just improvising with what I had.

It is almost done. I put a half-slice of swiss and a few slices of tomato on top for the last few minutes in the oven.

I think I will have an Anchor Steam.

Then I am going over to a friend's place for a scotch tasting, where 8 of us bring a different bottle to taste.

dblgutshot
11-15-2005, 11:45 PM
When i bake chicken breasts I like proscuitto on top as well as some sweet fruits like pineapple or mandarin orange slices. Chicken breasts are one of those things you can't really screw up. You can bake it with a can of mushroom soup dumped on top and it will be pretty good still.

maxpower72
11-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Take a mallet and pound the breasts fairly flat. Place them in a Balsamic marinade.

Then make your stuffing on the stove top. I agree with the previous poster that a pig product is very good. I normally go with red onion, garlic, jalepenos, sausage and whatever cheese I have on hand. (I really like blue cheese)

When the stuffing cools pull your breasts out of the marinade and place the stuffing in a vertical line down the length of the flattened breast and roll up sealing with toothpicks.

Then you just stick it in the oven although I much prefer to BBQ them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
It turned out pretty tasty, but I think a lot of these other ideas would definitely take this dish to the next level.

ethan
11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I am going over to a friend's place for a scotch tasting, where 8 of us bring a different bottle to taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm jealous.

ethan
11-16-2005, 12:24 AM
If you're doing more cooking these days, you might want to get some duck from Hudson Valley Foie Gras (http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/shop.html). I haven't had any of their prepared foods, but the moulard duck breasts are great - around 1lb each. I'm thinking about getting 5-10 lbs of the duck legs and making confit soon. You may be able to find it locally (I found the duck breasts at a local restaurant supply store) but if not they do ship. My lunch today was a mixed-green salad with braised duck and a red wine vinaigrette. Took maybe 20 minutes, but most of it's simple.

To cook duck breasts, you need to do a little preparation to help the fat render. Cut a cross-hatching pattern into the fat/skin side, maybe 20 cuts in each direction, without cutting into the actual meat. Season with salt and pepper, cook fat-side down over med-high heat for 12 minutes, flip and cook over high heat for about 2 minutes. Ideally you want to do this in a pan just large enough to hold the duck, otherwise the fat near the edges of the pan may burn. There's a lot of fat, and some of it will spatter when you turn the duck. I'd advise using tongs that'll keep your hands away from the pan.

Once the duck's done, pour out all but a teaspoon or so of the fat, add a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Slice the duck, add it to the greens, and toss with the warm vinaigrette. Sherry vinegar also works well here.

If you want you can strain the duck fat (put a paper towel in a strainer to get out the smaller particles), refrigerate it, and use it for other cooking. It beats the hell out of butter if you're making an omelette.

Blarg
11-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Food part sounds nice, I could do without the Metallica.

I'd suggest trying to do the dish with some herbs next time. Rosemary is great, so is thyme. Even a little rosemary makes for a very aromatic, tasty chicken.

With or without the cheese.

I think I'd either leave the cheddar in solo, or take it out of the combo and go with the others. It seems to me cheddar is a very strong, basic taste that will largely overwhelm the subtleties of the other cheeses anyway.

I'd also suggest fresh garlic instead of powder. You'll get a much better flavor. If you don't want to bother with fresh garlic, there are small jars of crushed garlic you can get. It's tasty to throw a teaspoon of it into this or that.

sfer
11-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a better concoction for chicken thighs.

Chobohoya
11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a better concoction for chicken thighs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might think that, but the meat on thighs is tender enough to start with, nonwithstanding the fact that it is damn hard to stuff them.

Blarg
11-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Saving and freezing chicken and duck fat is definitely a great way to have a whole lot of flavor to add to soups, etc. I save bones, skin, fat whenever I cook bird stuff and toss it into stock later.

Barrett's Last Privateer
11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Potatoes roasted in duck fat. Mmmmmmmm.

phixxx
11-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Why is this guy worshipped by you geeks?

citanul
11-16-2005, 12:59 AM
this may be personal blasphemy or something, but you need to consider cooking something and not putting horseradish in it.

c

Barrett's Last Privateer
11-16-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this may be personal blasphemy or something, but you need to consider cooking something and not putting horseradish in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCCWH

11-16-2005, 01:12 AM
I make this all the time, except I stuff mine with fresh mozzerala, basil paste, sun dried tomatos, and some assorted herbs, wrap in bacon, and bbq.

GuyOnTilt
11-16-2005, 01:13 AM
: plz

GoT

astroglide
11-16-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing too. horseradish and sloppy joes, horseradish and chicken. doesn't ring like roast beef.

GuyOnTilt
11-16-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you alive?

GoT

27offsuit
11-16-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what I am trying out today.

Parmesan, cheddar, and swiss. Horseradish, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix that all up and stuff chicken breast.

Lightly oil outside and put some more seasonings on it.

Stick in 350 oven for 30-45 minutes.

While waiting it to be done, I am listening to Metallica through my window. They are opening for the Rolling Stones. Sound is not quite as good tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Parts unknown" = S.F.

razor
11-16-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Parts unknown" = S.F.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

edfurlong
11-16-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Parts unknown" = S.F.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG the secret is out!

B Dids
11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Clearly a net detective of the Adam Stewart caliber.

11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am listening to Metallica through my window. They are opening for the Rolling Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Washed Up Sellouts Tour 2005?

WillMagic
11-16-2005, 02:40 AM
duck confit...man, I lived off that stuff in Paris. soooo good.

Will

Eurotrash
11-16-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you didn't read the sticky closely enough. it's in the rules.

Hallett
11-16-2005, 03:57 AM
Garlic Rotisserie Chicken
• 1 lb. whole chicken
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 3 tbsp of snipped fresh basil – (45ml)
• 1/3 teaspoons of salt – (3.75ml)
• 1 tbsp of olive oil – (15ml)
• 1 tbsp of lemon juice – (15ml)

Directions:
Garlic Rotisserie Chicken
1. In a bowl combine garlic, basil, salt, olive oil and lemon juice and set aside.
2. Staring at the neck on 1 side of the breast, slip your fingers between skin and meat, loosening the skin as you go work towards the tail end. Once your entire hand is under the skin, fee the skin around the thigh and leg area up to but not around, the tip of the drumstick. Repeat on the other side of the breast.
3. Rub garlic-basil mixture under skin directly on to meat. Cover refrigerate for 4 hours.
4. Using butchers twine, truss the chicken so that is holds together. It will also cook the meat evenly.
5. For gas grill – turn the front and the rear burners on high and leave the middle burner off and preheat to a temperature of 325°F – (180°) placing the drip pan in the center.
6. Place the chicken onto the spit according to the rotisserie manufacture direction.
7. Cook until the skin of the chicken is generously brown and the flesh is cook through. Ever 20 minutes or so baste the chicken with juices that accumulate on the drip pan.
8. When cooked the chicken internal temperature will be 180°F – (90°C) Remove chicken from rotisserie, cover with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carvings.
9. Serve and enjoy!

rusty JEDI
11-16-2005, 04:23 AM
Stuffing a chicken breast

Do you mean taking a breast with the skin still on and filling underneat the skin? Or do you mean the flatten it, line of stuffing, roll and pin technique?

rJ

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stuffing a chicken breast

Do you mean taking a breast with the skin still on and filling underneat the skin? Or do you mean the flatten it, line of stuffing, roll and pin technique?

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the stuffing was very amateurish technique and actually ended up largely melting out of the breast since I didn't pin it at all. Still was tasty.

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Today I was in a really big rush and I wanted something with a little zing in it in the stuffing. I think that leaving out the horseradish and adding some herbs would have been a superior plan, but I was really pressed for time and just grabbed what was in front of me. I do like horseradish a lot, though.

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is what we had. A couple of guys brought some extras. Unlike last time (which ended with everyone in REALLY bad shape), we all had small tastes of each one, well, except for one guy, who had full measures of everything, and double measures at the end. He was falling down on the way out. I also managed to have about four bottles of water during the event, so I'm not even drunk. This will be confirmed if I can remember all the Scotches. I am very proud of my restraint.

Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12
Macallan 13 (Trader Joe's bottling)
Glenmorangie (12?)
Glenmorangie (12?) Sherry Wood finish
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glen Moray (12?)
Dalwhinnie 15
Tobermory 10
Talisker 10
Lagavulin 16
Coal Ila 18

Then, we had a Knappogue Castle Irish single malt that was really good.

I really liked the Dalwhinnie, Coal Ila, and Irish single malt.

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Blarg
11-16-2005, 04:47 AM
So do I. Great on good knackwurst and other sausages, and on hot dogs too. Also really good tangy mustards rock my socks.

My rule for horseradish and mustard is the same, and pretty close to my rule for hot peppers and hot sauce -- use just enough that you figure you might have gone too far this time.

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good. The chicken that is. Metallica, meh.

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently tried out the rack of pork they sell at costco. I doused it overnight in olive oil, soy sayce, wostershire, salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary. Oh and a bunch of fresh minced garlic. Then roasted it up the next day with the goo from the marinade and more rosemary and sage. I think some more salt and pepper. Goot. Have another in the refrigerator. Picked up a lower end pinot today that may go with it. Get you one of the rack 'o porks at costco I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

rack o' pork. sounds great. maybe some mashed potatoes to go with that!

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:51 AM
I love duck. I will maybe try making Thai-style tamarind duck.

Ulysses
11-16-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So do I. Great on good knackwurst and other sausages, and on hot dogs too. Also really good tangy mustards rock my socks.

My rule for horseradish and mustard is the same, and pretty close to my rule for hot peppers and hot sauce -- use just enough that you figure you might have gone too far this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a really big fan of Beaver sweet-hot mustard.

Publos Nemesis
11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here is what we had. ....

Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12
Macallan 13 (Trader Joe's bottling)
Glenmorangie (12?)
Glenmorangie (12?) Sherry Wood finish
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glen Moray (12?)
Dalwhinnie 15
Tobermory 10
Talisker 10
Lagavulin 16
Coal Ila 18

Then, we had a Knappogue Castle Irish single malt that was really good.

I really liked the Dalwhinnie, Coal Ila, and Irish single malt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet Jebus. Which did you enjoy the most?

Blarg
11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
I'll keep an eye out for it. I like trying most every mustard I can find.

samjjones
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes...the stuffing needs a meat product.

RunDownHouse
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm so excited to try some of these that I've added this thread to my favorites. I've got the basics of stuffing down, I think, and can look stuff up on google, but if anyone has more personalized hints/tricks, I'd appreciate hearing those.

phixxx
11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you alive?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a massive poker nerd. You contribute nothing to society. Please slit your wrists and write a poem you emo scumbag.

phixxx
11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh, and I'm sure we all love reading about what some fat poker geek is eating for dinner every day. Kill yourself please.

B Dids
11-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I predict stars in your future.

ethan
11-16-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beaver Mustard

[/ QUOTE ]I'll keep an eye out for it. I like trying most every mustard I can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the standard brand of mustard at Canter's, I believe. Very good on their potato salad.