PDA

View Full Version : Some Sixes, a Capped Flop and a Rare River Raise

PokerBabe(aka)
06-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Yesterday, I arrive at Mirage around 10am and find an unusually loose-aggressive 20-40 game. There are 3 hyperactive tournament players in the game who are trying to "out play" the field. These guys are kind of feeding off each other and playing so bad it's remarkable(for Vegas standards, anyway). For example, one guy raised 2 UTG with 10,5 offsuit (Hyper #1). Another called my sb raise with an offsuit 2,3 (Hyper #2). The 3rd guy was playing hands like 7,9 and K,8 for a raise (we will call him Hyper #3). Two of these guys were taking virtually all flops.
There are 3 locals in the game who are getting the [censored] kicked out of them and 2 other guys who are trying to "play good" but seem tired. I was drinking lots of water, listening to music, and watching the whole show with a kind of detached wonder. I decided to play only suited Aces, pocket pairs of 6's and up and a few connectors (with the famous 10,J as one of my favs). Here is my "hand of the day":

There is an early limper and then a call . Hyper #1 just calls (huh, no raise?). Hyper #2 calls (hey, what' s up - no raise?. A solid (but stuck) local calls in the c/o, and I call on the button with 66. Sb folds and now bb (Hyper #3) raises. 7 players take the flop for 2 bets.

Flop is 6, 10, 9 (rb). BB bets right out, limper 1 folds and limper 2 raises. Hyper #1 3 bets it and it's folded to me and I make it 4 bets. BB caps it. The turn brings a red 7. BB now stops, hesitates, and actually looks like he is thinking /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . It's checked to me and I think for a milisecond and check. River is a red Ace. BB can't stand it anymore and must bet. Other 2 guys fold and I make a rare river raise. The pot is over 700 bucks. My opponent shakes his head and...? calls or folds? Do I win it?

LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

andyfox
06-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Calls and you win.

anatta
06-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Am I missing something? I don't understand why you checked the turn. If the BB, or someone else, had an 8 he would probably bet it. The str8 is so obvious, why would anyone think you would bet it? Worst case, someone has an 8 and you have 10 outs to win and 2 more 8's for a possible chop. Then you raise the river, which I like, but if you feared the str8 on the turn, why do you not fear it now that you are done? I think your hand is good.

elysium
06-26-2003, 01:28 AM
hi babe
....and calls with T9.

mike l.
06-26-2003, 02:33 AM
"I was drinking lots of water, listening to music, and watching the whole show with a kind of detached wonder."

havent read the hand yet but let me throw out a wild guess here: you booked a good win for the session. "detached" is so killer good against "involved".

as for the hand now let's see... ok you must bet the turn here. this is a huge wuss out. dont wuss out in huge pots babe. very big mistake in this huge pot.

Ed S.
06-26-2003, 03:05 AM
Well you lose to Trip Aces because you didn't bet on the turn and wussed out like Mike I. said.

...................... But then you wake up from this horrible nightmare and Realize he only has pocket Kings and your set is good. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Ed S.

Dynasty
06-26-2003, 04:40 AM
Am I missing something? I don't understand why you checked the turn.

Passive play like this is Babe's biggest problem.

PokerBabe(aka)
06-26-2003, 09:17 AM
The bb shook his head and turned over 10, K offsuit and mucks it.

I think you can argue for or against betting the turn in this hand. However, vs. these opponents, betting is probably best.

Thanks to all for the comments. LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
06-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Hi mike. Thanks. I enjoyed your post about reading a book at the table. It's a great anti-tilt device and also exudes the type of detachment I am trying to reach. LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Since I was only against the bb at the river, I was about 90% sure my hand was good. This guy raises so light that a hand like A,10 is a possible cap for him on the 6, 10, 9 flop. I put him on exactly A,10 on the river. God knows what he put me on to bet into me there /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Clarkmeister
06-26-2003, 11:08 AM
"God knows what he put me on to bet into me there "

You checked the turn. He put you on nothing.

As far as your comment to Dynasty "against *these* opponents betting is probabaly best"......I am having trouble imagining the type of opponent against whom checking is best. You simply have to bet here. You likely have the best hand and there are all sorts of gutshots to the big end that will be drawing very live against you.

PokerBabe(aka)
06-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Clark, when I made it 4 bets on the flop it's kinda hard to say he put me on "nothing" (although, I guess he did exactly that) /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . When I checked the turn, it's likely he did not put me on a straight and thought that pitiful little 10 was good.

You can't imagine checking in a situation where you are possibly walking into a check raise? Let's chat more about that over lunch sometime. Or better yet, at Pebble with a glass of wine.

LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

skp
06-26-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't know that betting the turn is as clear cut as you and Dynasty say it is. She has 4 opponents and the board shows an easy straight. Granted, they have all checked to her but...

As for allowing freebies to gutshot draws, doing so is not a catastrophe here. This is because absent a raise, all gutshots should call given the size of the pot. So, a mistaken check will not cost you the pot. It will cost you a couple of missed bets when they would have called the turn and go on to miss but on the other hand, you save a couple of bets if someone was planning a checkraise and then you go on to miss on the river.

I would probably bet here but I wouldn't criticize a check too much. In this spot, much depends on the feel of the game and the feel of the hand in question.

One danger of checking the turn is getting outplayed on the river i.e. apparently, the bb is a big time bluffer. If some other chap in the hand knows that, he may just muster up the courage to raise on the river with one pair hoping to clear the field and seeing if the bluffer is acting true to form on this occasion.

bruce
06-26-2003, 12:18 PM
The main reason to bet the turn is you might be putting yourself in a potentially difficult spot on the river if there is a bet and a bluff raise to you. Then what is your play?

Bruce

M2d
06-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Babe,
putting myself in his shoes, when you you check through on the turn, I'm pretty sure I'm beat, but not by the straight. possibly, he's betting as a bluff, but calling your raise as a bluff catcher. I don't think he thinks his hand is good at any point post-flop, but decides he has to call for those infamous "pot-odds"

Ulysses
06-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Would you have called or folded to a river 3-bet?

PokerBabe(aka)
06-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Raise the river and fold for one more bet (like Tommy's song says) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif