PDA

View Full Version : An analogy between S&M books and religous texts.

rkiray
06-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Twice in the last month I've had two posters tell me I need to go back and reread these books because I obviously don't understand them. In both cases I believe they then went on to completely misrepresent S&M's writings. Both of the posters are people here with hundreds of posts who seem to have reasonable reputations. I replied in both cases why I thought I was correct and they were wrong. Neither replied, so either my arguments must have been convincing, or they think I'm so clueless as to be beyond help. I'm beginning to think any post that says "you should go back and reread the books" is probably best ignored.

Oh well to get to my point. Since in both cases we are people who have all read the books several times and all are at least somewhat knowledgable I find it amazing that there can be such sharp disagrements. It almost seems like we are Jewish scholars arguing over some obsure point in the Talmud. On the other hand one of my favorite lines from Positively Fifth Street is when Jim McManus say something like "it really wouldn't hurt these guys to hire an editor". If their English was a little better we might not have so many disagreements. I think S&M have lots of great ideas and I really appreciate them publishing them. It does kind of bug me how in the introductions they almost arrogantly brag about the writing could be better. I understand their book sales have really taken off. This is great. Maybe now they can afford an editor.

Jimbo
06-25-2003, 11:33 PM
You need to go back & reread Positively Fifth Street. You obviously didn't understand what he meant! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Now it's three posters. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Do not expect a reply from me either! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Ray Zee
06-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Jimbo, go back and read about a hundred of scalf's posts, then you will understand. expect a reply from him.

Al Mirpuri
06-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Two men sit in what appears to one as a garden kept by an invisible divine gardener and to the other as an unkept wilderness. The first man praises the divine gardener and his design. The divine gardener he announces is the God of the Bible. The second man does not see the handiwork of any divine gardener around him whether the divine gardener be the God of the Bible or not.

Both men point to the same evidence to support their contrary beliefs.

Ambiguity is inherent in all things.

Jimbo
06-26-2003, 10:38 AM
"Jimbo, go back and read about a hundred of scalf's posts, then you will understand. expect a reply from him."

Ray I get headaches just trying to muddle through 1 or 2 of Scalfs' posts. Reading a hundred would qualify as cruel and unusual punishment. The only thing worse would be trying to translate mr. Murphy's Irish brogue.

rkiray
06-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Actually I like you post. Thanks

andyfox
06-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Ambiguity is not inherent in all things. S&M, by their own admission, do not write well. So there are some ambiguities inherent in their admitted inability to express themselves clearly. Which is a shame because their poker advice is the best. It could be that much better with an editor.

Zeno
06-27-2003, 12:50 AM
"It could be that much better with an editor."

I charge $75 per hour.

-Zeno

Zeno
06-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Religious texts are mostly bogus and full of blather - S&M are not.

-Zeno

andyfox
06-27-2003, 01:34 AM
You're my first choice. Should I put in a good word for you with David? I hope he doesn't respond with, "Oh."

Al Mirpuri
06-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Ambiguity is inherent in all things.

Any statement, including this one, can be interpreted literally or ironically.

I am making a much bigger statement about the nature of truth, which encapsulates the self-acknowledged lack of literary finesse of Mr David Sklansky and Mr Mason Malmuth, but does not confine itself to it.

Cyrus
06-27-2003, 10:19 AM
There was this symposium on male virility (sp?) and the Italian doctor got up on the podium and said

--We found a way to improve the male penis by 10 percent!

There was huge applause and someone from the audience asked

-- Length or width?

-- Length, smiled the Italian. In our country we have no problem with width!

The Ugandan doctor was next and he got up and announced

-- We found a way to improve the male penis by 20 percent!

Applause, and the same guy asks

-- Length or width?

-- Width, of course. In Uganda we have no problem with length!

Then the American fella gets up and goes to the mike.

-- We found a way to improve the male penis SO MUCH it's now like a Mississippi watermelon!

Huge applause, and the same guy asks of course:

-- Length or width??

-- None, says the American. We're OK on length and width.
I'm talking abt the TASTE.

andyfox
06-27-2003, 12:09 PM
An American businessman is taken to a fancy restaurant in Paris by a French supplier. They enjoy a magnificent repast and then the waiter comes over and says their dessert specialty is "Peche Poussy." The American asks what it is and his French friend tells him it's exactly what its sounds like. A peach is, how shall we say, coated with the juice of a certain woman's, how shall we say, poussy.

Fifteen minutes later the waiter produces la peche. The American cuts off a piece and takes a bite. He gags and spits it out. "That's terrible," he says.

"Oh, no," says the Frenchman. "It's not the peche that is the dessert. It's the poussy."

rkiray
06-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Wow, I'm glad I started this thread now. Had no idea it would go in this direction. Life is entertaining sometimes.

Al Mirpuri
06-29-2003, 12:02 AM

hutz
06-29-2003, 11:06 AM
I'll do it for $50 per hour. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif