PDA

View Full Version : There's a straight on the board ... call, raise or fold?

SoCalPat
06-25-2003, 08:49 PM
$10 NL sit and go at Paradise. Blinds at 30/60

I'm at or near the chip lead with about 2,300 and am dealt A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif on the button.

Folded to the cutoff, who raises for 120. I make it 240 to go. Blinds fold, and we're two to the flop.

FLOP: 589 (suit irrelevant).

He checks, I check

TURN: 6

Check, check

RIVER: 7, completing the straight.

CO bets 400. I've eliminated the fact that he'd raise with a 4 in his hand, but that 10 is tricky. In these games, a raise with A10 isn't uncommon. If he has 10J, why wouldn't he bet either the flop or turn with two overcards and a nut straight draw? It took me a long time to make this decision.

What did I do? What should I do? Comments on all streets appreciated.

Part II -- another hand vs. this player, will be titled Big Slick screwup?, and will be up shortly, as will the results to this hand

SoCalPat
06-25-2003, 08:51 PM
I call, he turns over J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , and we chop the near 1,400-chip pot.

Guy McSucker
06-26-2003, 05:24 AM
On the flop, having taken control preflop and indicated that you have a big ace or pair, I think a bet is in order. Although it's unlikely that he'll fold a hand that is beating you, you would like him to fold lots of hands that you're ahead of, like Ax, QJ etc. A free card could cost you a pot that you can often win on the flop, and it's a decent sized pot so why not play for it?

On the river, you can't raise. Why would you raise? If he reraises you will have to fold. Call and hope to split. If you lose, you still have 1650 or so to fight with.

Guy.

Guy McSucker
06-26-2003, 05:26 AM
Wow, I can't believe he actually had QJ, the hand I mentioned in my post. I must be on form today. Right, time to play some poker!

Guy.

fnurt
06-26-2003, 06:45 AM
I would raise all in on the river. I bet he doesn't have it.

fnurt
06-26-2003, 06:45 AM
...wow, I was right! Who knew?