PDA

View Full Version : Tip jars. Your thoughts.

radek2166
11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I find these things repulsive. To me its like people on the street begging. I think it is in bad taste to have one of these sitting out.

Why should I tip the starbucks guy money for making my mocha. He gets an hourly rate at least minimum wage. The way I understand tips is this In resturants tips are to help the waitstaff who make less than minimum wage.

I do tip when I catch a cab get my hair cut or get a pizza delivered.

Tip cups drive me nuts in places like gas staions or fastfood joints.

Discuss

irishpint
11-15-2005, 09:30 PM
gas stations and fast food shouldn't have tip jars. however i think coffee shops are different and i know people who work there would argue that, too.

tonypaladino
11-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I think there is already a thread on this.

daryn
11-15-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gas stations and fast food shouldn't have tip jars. however i think coffee shops are different and i know people who work there would argue that, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

how are they different?

obviously people that work there would say they are. that's a no-brainer, which coincidentally is the name i like to give to people working at coffee shops.

tonypaladino
11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee shops are no different than fast food. The same amount of work is involved in serving a Big Mac & Soda as a Muffin and Coffee.

offTopic
11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee shops are no different than fast food. The same amount of work is involved in serving a Big Mac & Soda as a Muffin and Coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get very many espresso drinks, and I definitely don't tip at Fourbucks or anywhere else when they just pour a cup of coffee. However, when I do get get an espresso drink, I've had some where the milk was very nicely frothed and some where they guy pretty much just warmed it up (I'm talking lattes, which is my drink of choice).

I'm willing to part with the extra 35 cents or whatever in the former case. If they make it so the drink comes out to an exact dollar amount, well, they're out of luck...

Voltron87
11-15-2005, 09:48 PM
at the deli/bakery/bagel breakfast place I go to 5 days a week I tip a dollar on top of a 5-10$ meal. the people who work there know me and what i usually order, they do a good job and i get served quick so i tip. i pretty much never tip at coffeeshops or other similiar places that im not a regular at.

11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is already a thread on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

benza13
11-15-2005, 10:25 PM
McDonalds, Burger King, and other fast food type places where I am getting [censored] service they aren't getting anything. Locally run deli, burrito place, other slightly nicer take out places, sure I'll throw them a tip. Probably has something to do with the fact that I know a lot more people working at the places slightly higher up the food chain, including my roomate.

irishpint
11-15-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They really aren't close. Serving fries/big mac is easy. At the coffee shop they make each drink individually. You order a drink, someone doesn't grab it from a rake- they do whatever they do (heat it milk, mix things, stir, top, etc whatever). There are actually international competitions for the world's top barestsa (those who makes drinks). Apparently, they think it's an art.

daryn
11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, they think it's an art.

[/ QUOTE ]

they would think that. note that nobody smart does though.

also i think you meant barista.

irishpint
11-15-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nerd test. and you passed

daryn
11-15-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nerd test. and you passed

[/ QUOTE ]

no, just a language test.

Klepton
11-15-2005, 11:17 PM
i think all tipping threads should be immediately locked and/or deleted.

almost everyone on this site makes at least $40 an hour on a [censored] hobby. just tip em. or don't tip em. but for the love of god stop complaining about it. you sound really cheap.

housenuts
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
here's my question. often when i'm given less than 25 cents change (ie. any shrapnel smaller than a quarter) i'll throw it in the tip jar. sometimes this is only 2 cents. i sometimes feel embarassed putting the 2 cents in there. do you think the workers appreciate it, or think to themselves "who is this dickwad who thinks he's generous for tipping us, when really he's only giving 2 cents"

dblgutshot
11-15-2005, 11:22 PM
My solution to this is I leave it on the counter.

Ulysses
11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
They used to annoy me, now I pretty much completely ignore them.

Klepton
11-15-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here's my question. often when i'm given less than 25 cents change (ie. any shrapnel smaller than a quarter) i'll throw it in the tip jar. sometimes this is only 2 cents. i sometimes feel embarassed putting the 2 cents in there. do you think the workers appreciate it, or think to themselves "who is this dickwad who thinks he's generous for tipping us, when really he's only giving 2 cents"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i do. it's like throwing the change into the trash.

Slappz
11-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Tipping is the worst thing ever invented. The jar however isnt so bad wen im too lazy to put the change back into my wallet.

SinCityGuy
11-16-2005, 01:54 AM
The most paradoxical tip jars are the ones at pizza delivery joints. I'll tip the cashier if they tip me for picking up the pizza instead of having it delivered.

nothumb
11-16-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think all tipping threads should be immediately locked and/or deleted.

almost everyone on this site makes at least $40 an hour on a [censored] hobby. just tip em. or don't tip em. but for the love of god stop complaining about it. you sound really cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer... why should it annoy you that people on the bottom rung are taking the opportunity to pick up an extra buck? Getting irritated over [censored] like this will shorten your life.

NT

ilya
11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find these things repulsive. To me its like people on the street begging. I think it is in bad taste to have one of these sitting out.

Why should I tip the starbucks guy money for making my mocha. He gets an hourly rate at least minimum wage. The way I understand tips is this In resturants tips are to help the waitstaff who make less than minimum wage.

Discuss

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh STFU.

radek2166
11-16-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Discuss

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do u do for a living? Maybe on my job I should ask for tips. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Landon_McFly
11-16-2005, 02:49 AM
C'mon guys, this isn't that tough.

If you work in fast food, you usually hate your job. 99% of Big Mac's taste the same, there's nothing personal about them.

nicer restaurants are different because you are tipping the waitresss according to the quality of serive you are given. (and most servers are paid less then min. wage unless you count tips)

Places liken starbucks are different. One of my best friends works at one that's within a supermarket. Honestly, she's one of the biggest bitches in the world, but at work, she treats everyone like an angel. It's crazy. She has so many regular customers that she usually already knows what they want to drink, and she remembers all the specifics if they like the drink a certain way.

She certainly doesn't HAVE to treat customers this way. There's another girl who works at the same starbucks who doesn't make as much in tips, but is better looking so I know it's not about looks. Many people that tip her are older women who she actaully talks to about stuff, and remembers things such as their kids names.

My point is... if it's a place you frequently visit, and you feel that you are getting better service than the average Joe who just walked in for the first time, then you better tip like you know it. Otherwise, you're a dik who's taking great service for granted.