PDA

View Full Version : n00b hand

1337 skills
11-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I've been sweating a friend lately (he just started reading GSIH fwiw) and we've been talking about hands after his sessions and all that good stuff. It's been going pretty good because he's learning a lot and it's making me think too. This hand came up and generated a lengthy conversation on AIM so I thought I'd post it here to reinforce and drive home what I was telling him (assuming I even gave the correct advice /images/graemlins/shocked.gif ).

This was played at .05/.10 at Stars

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG+2 posts .05

Hero calls, <font color="red"> UTG+1 raises </font> , UTG+2 calls, 6 folds, BB calls, Hero calls

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue"> 4 players 8.5 SB </font>

<font color="red"> Hero bets </font> , UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, BB calls

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue"> 3 players 5.75 BB </font>

checks through

River: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

<font color="red"> BB bets </font> , <font color="red"> Hero raises </font> , <font color="red"> UTG+2 3 bets </font>, BB calls, <font color="red"> Hero caps </font> , both call

Obviously our hero played this hand pretty badly but I'll save what I told him for later.

Obliky
11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
:Grunchy:

Edit: Oops i assumed we raised pre-flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif Seeing as we didnt a check/raise on the flop would be nice.

I say bet the turn, call the river 3-bet.

numeri
11-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Preflop: This can be a call at the right table, but should be a raise at 0.05/0.10.

Flop: Clear check/raise.

Turn: Fine.

River: Do we have any reads? I hate to be a victim of MUBS and fear QT from UTG+2, but a call is probably fine. I don't mind the cap, since this is also easily a weaker 2pr. I tend to be weak-tight without reads, though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

tyler_cracker
11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
grunch

Raising preflop is good, but limping is okay too.

On the flop, a check/raise is better. The likely bettor is on our right, and we've got lots of equity (9 outs to the nut flush, 5 more outs to a rockin' two-pair/trips). Let's build a pot.

Bet the turn. No one has told us we're beaten, and we still have lots of outs if behind. Plus, if a smaller flush is out, we'll make more bets on the river if we hit.

That river cap is excessive when two unknowns who have been passive so far both wake up. Just call the 3-bet.

11-15-2005, 10:12 PM
River raise is horrid. I see no point in that. Just call down.

numeri
11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you put villain on? The raise is standard. The cap is the question.

shant
11-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Raise preflop. Bet the flop and turn. The river cap is awful.

11-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Raising preflop betting flop and turn, and call the checkraise on the river is my standard play.

Now when you called preflop I would probably CR since you have such excellent position on the preflop better. Then I am leading the turn and would probably call the CR from villain.

As you played it I would call the river 3-bet.

1337 skills
11-16-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you put villain on? The raise is standard. The cap is the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why exactly is the raise standard? The advice I gave my friend was to just call BB's wake up bet because UTG+2 would probably not make a crying call if it was 2 bets to him (should this not be assumed for an unknown player at this level?) but would call with a lot of holdings if it was just one bet and when we're behind a 3 bet from the BB is suck.

tyler_cracker
11-16-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why exactly is the raise standard? The advice I gave my friend was to just call BB's wake up bet because UTG+2 would probably not make a crying call if it was 2 bets to him (should this not be assumed for an unknown player at this level?) but would call with a lot of holdings if it was just one bet and when we're behind a 3 bet from the BB is suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no guarantee UTG+2 will (over)call anyway, but BB will call 1 more unless he was on a total bluff. Getting 3-bet does suck, but you're ahead significantly more than 55% of the time (an inferior two-pair -- such as K/images/graemlins/heart.gif5 -- may 3-bet here, for example), so just raise/call.

11-16-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop. Bet the flop and turn. The river cap is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

EDIT: Is this a package deal? If so, then I get it.

After the OP limped. This is a clear c\r.