PDA

View Full Version : First full day of not smoking

Noo Yawk
06-25-2003, 07:32 PM
ARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!
I feel like tearing the carpet up with my teeth.
I'll report back tommorrow.

HDPM
06-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Hang in there. Last one I had was almost nine years ago. 5:25 PM September 2, 1994. But who's counting? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

First day is hard. Second day a little easier. Third day is hard. After three days it gets easier IME. Try to go do things where you couldn't smoke. Places you didn't smoke before, etc... Do something different and try to keep busy. GL. Cold turkey is the best and only way really.

scalf
06-25-2003, 09:10 PM
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif about twenty years ago, i put that pack of marlboros up on my dresser...every day when i woke up..walked by that pack and told it i was tuffer than them smokes...lol..never took a cig again...lol..are you tuffer????gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Zeno
06-26-2003, 01:27 AM
You are smarter than the smokes. You will win the War.

-Zeno

Vehn
06-26-2003, 01:34 AM
Smoking puts hair on your chest.

Actually quitting isn't so bad after the first few days.

Of course I'm smoking now..

Al Mirpuri
06-26-2003, 06:44 AM
I read somewhere that John Fox in Play Poker, Quit Work And Sleep Till Noon advised players to seek out tables with smokers at them. His reasoning was that with the ill effects of smoking being so well known smokers were either compulsives or stupid. Either way you wanted them at your table.

I hope you stick to it.

Best Wishes.

scalf
06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif i bet ya still a quitter..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Noo Yawk
06-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Haven't lit up and it's getting easier. We're headed for the home stretch.

Ray Zee
06-27-2003, 10:12 AM
n.y. what are you going to do when you get to start tasting food again. or when people stop shunning you and you dont know why. or when you start to smell things again.
or when you notice the older people that smoke are all full of wrinkles and look like death warmed over.

good luck. failure is a shorter life and a painful death someday.

adios
06-27-2003, 12:55 PM
"good luck. failure is a shorter life and a painful death someday."

FWIW, my father is 75 which is old but isn't that old by today's standards. He HAD 3 brothers and 2 sisters who all smoked like chimmneys. He was the only one who quit smoking something like 30 years ago. His father and mother, my grandparents, smoked like a chimneys. Everyone had a painful and early death do most likely to their smoking. Why grandfather whittled away to 80 pounds and died when he was 65 from lung cancer (he had other smoking related diseases). My grandmother died a few years later from heart failure (perhaps not smoking). Two of my fathers brothers and his two sisters died of lung cancer. His other brother died of throat cancer as he was a heavy cigar smoker and pipe smoker. My dad's youngest brother died 5 years ago of lung cancer. Every one of his siblings went through excruciating pain before they died from their cancer.

Ray Zee
06-27-2003, 07:31 PM
good post tom, as with you i have had relatives and a great many friends kick the bucket because of smoking. what happens is that when you are young you dont know as many older people and dont realize just what is happening to people.
usually someone points out the exception that lived a long time and smoked. most dont.
the problem is until you get older you think you are invincible and dont worry about anything that doesnt hurt you immediately.

Noo Yawk
06-28-2003, 09:45 AM
HDPM called it. After the 3rd day it's a piece of cake.
No more urges, no more, er-ah, we'll call it grumpiness.
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
Anyway, I'm back to playing cards today.
Zee, do ya think my rancid taste for all suited Aces will return? God I hope not. That was almost as hard of a habit to break, and twice as expensive! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mike
06-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Keep talking about it. Eventually you will meet someone who has a family member dying of a smoking related illness. Go spend some time with them, and see if that's how you want to spend your last days. It was the final straw for me when I quit February 1990. Best life decision I ever made!

Good Luck, and remember: You didn't start in a day, and you won't quit in a day - but you will quit!

Cyrus
06-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I quit 2 years ago. But I won't badmouth past lovers. Smoking was good to me, the affair was fine -- until it became an obsession. Just like totally obsessing after a very seductive woman, a femme fatale. You either quit to save your neck or write a great novel about it.

Smoking tobacco is very, very enoyable. It's a strong, delightful corporeal pleasure. Claiming that smoking is unpleasant as an experience is an outright lie. And if everything else fails to convince the nay-sayers or all those unfortunate souls that have never smoked (or never obsessed over something), think back to the languid, sultry, sexy smoking of our ladies of the silver screen. Yeeee-OWW!..

But then you're hooked (obsessed). The love affair of some 5-10 smokes a day becomes a can't-live-a-moment-without-you obsession of two or three packs a day, or worse. My former brother-in-law would wake up in the morning and groggily search for the cigarettes by the bed, that's the first thing he'd do. He stunk to high heaven all day.

Time to go cold turkey on the heartless murderous bitch. Yeah. I now see her on the street, in storey-high pictures, or in the arms of strangers, and I don't give a damn.