PDA

View Full Version : Playing KQo after a raise

barrett
06-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Blinds are 50/100 and there's been a $400 raise before you. You're in good chip position. You hold KQo. What's your play?

I folded but just wanted to see what others do in this spot.

cferejohn
06-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Well, that's a big fat 'it depends'.

Who raised? Someone who had been raising 2 or 3 times a round? Someone who had been letting their chips get bled off and hadn't entered a pot in 20 minutes? What position are they in? What position are you in? Had it been folded to them or were they raising one or more limpers? You say 'you're in good chip postion'. Does that mean you have more than the raiser? Average for the tournament? If the raiser has a smaller stack is he in danger of going out soon?

To attempt to answer:

* If the raiser is on the button, had routinely made positional raises when folded to, and I had him significatly outchipped, and I'm the BB, I re-raise. If he has less than 2000 in chips, the re-raise is all-in.

* If he's the chip leader, hadn't played a hand in 2 orbits, and raised from early position and I'm in middle position, I muck.

If you have more information, I think I can give a better answer.

Chris

06-25-2003, 07:18 PM
fold or all-in would be your options. I would fold

Acesover8s
06-25-2003, 07:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
fold or all-in would be your options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone always say this? He hasnt given us the stack sizes. If you can put your opponent on a hand and have money to bet after the flop, why not take the flop and play it out.

There is more to NL holdem tournaments than getting all the chips in before the flop and letting the math work out.

Justaloser
06-25-2003, 08:06 PM
I'd fold.

But it depends on the table, my table image, and the play of the raiser.

You've got the chips, no need to gamble them at this point.

SoCalPat
06-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Against any reasonable player, this is a clear fold.

Against a very unreasonable player, a huge raise, if not all-in, isn't out of the question. But I've seen too many unreasonable players raise with A-rag or any suited ace. Unless you're extremely short-stacked (which you aren't), I stay away.

Again, stack size plays a lot into this decision.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Fold.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-26-2003, 09:13 AM

Guy McSucker
06-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Assuming "good chip position" means somewhere between 2k and 5k, this is an easy fold.

In most tournament situations there won't be enough chips around to get a good line on your opponent's holding after the flop: hitting a K or Q could be a disaster which costs you your whole stack.

With big stacks (15k + ) you can call if you know the player and can outplay him; with smaller stacks you can raise all-in.

Guy.

barrett
06-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the lack of information. Good chip position meant 2nd overall but calling his raise would have whacked me down considerably. It was from someone who had not made a move in a while so thinking about it after posting the message made me even more sure that folding was the right play.

Thanks for everyone's response.