PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 and 3/6 blind defence

Percussion
11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
The biggest hole in my game is blind defending, so I have a few questions. What kind of hands should I defend my BB with when there is one MP raiser and it is folded around?
(I have seen a solid winning player calling these bets with hands like 79o and K8o, but I think thats too loose)
And when should I be defending my blinds with J9s (how many people need to be in the pot)

11-15-2005, 04:21 PM
When there is one raiser, and you're in the BB you're looking at 3-1 to see the flop (count SB cancelling out with the rake). In theory you need 25% pot equity to justify calling the raise. You have over 25% pot equity with any situation except if villain has a pair and you have 2 unders - then around 20%. Yes, you are out of position for the rest of the hand, but this is something to think about.

bigalt
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
if you're calling all-in then you only need 25% pot equity. But you're hopefully not, in which case you have to think about hands being dominated and the fact that beind out of position you're going to win a little bit less and lose a little bit more on each hand. So I'd personally like 50% equity on average, which means an ace, king or pair, extendable depending on the tightness of the PFR.

ZootMurph
11-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I defend my BB 100% of the time against a CO or Button steal attempt. You are getting 3:1 odds, and the only times you are worse than 3:1 are against overpairs and dominated hands (AK vs A9, KQ vs K7, etc.). Also, I don't defend my blinds against players that are generally passive or aren't interested in blind stealing too often.

I'll often RERAISE with a playable hand as bad as 65s... again, just to keep them off my back.

One last thing... I see a lot of people try to trap with Aces or Kings. I never do. I am reraising blind steal attempts enough with less than ideal hands to make the reraise worthwhile... especially against players who don't learn that trying to steal my blind can get real expensive.

MrEngenic
11-15-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I defend my BB 100% of the time against a CO or Button steal attempt

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on 100 % blind defence in big blind is just stupid. What is your BB/hand in big blind?

damaniac
11-15-2005, 05:12 PM
If you knew your opponent's hand this would make sense, but since you will be playing worse hands on average than your opponent (unless you run into someone who steals 100% of the time) you'll be playing OOP with weak/dominated hands. You'll win some small pots, a few big ones, and lose a lot of medium to large pots as a result. I'd be very surprised if this is effective at all.

If you always played in the same game, you might have the effect of stopping people from stealing, but you're still going to get raised by any legit hand (down to and possibly below anything with an equity edge against two cards), so at some point you'd have to throw your hand away against raises once you've conditioned players not to steal and only raise for value against your range, thus showing you can fold thus inducing steal attempts again. If that makes sense.

And let's not forget the rake just devouring this strategy.