PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gifts for my 72 year old Dad?

04-08-2002, 04:28 PM
He doesn't like to read. He has diabites and doesn't get around very good. No real hobbies, except to watch my sister's kids play. He enjoys to hear about my poker, but he's a slot player who fools himself into thinking he's a winner. We have gave him cash, but it hurts to see him throw it away on slots. He just burns up what we give him and then he dips into his own.

Any ideas?

04-08-2002, 07:50 PM
if he enjoys poker stories, try a book of poker stories, there are several, and you can find at lesat one of them at your local Big Book Store Chain. maybe teach him how to play? or give him a book on expert video poker play. some machines can be beat, apparently, and its the video poker machines. why not help him to at least play where his -EV is not as bad, or can be turned into +EV.

04-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Spend the day with him. Cook his favorite meal, swap tales, etc. Have your sister and her kids there. I'd guess anything material would not please him much.

04-09-2002, 12:14 AM
Give him a surprise party.

When my mom was 80 we did it.

I got her address book and started calling people. Eventually some of them took over calling others. I rented a tent and reserved space in a public park and two or my sisters brought her there on the premise of a picnic.

It was two years ago and she still talks about it.

Many years earlier when my dad was 60, we did one for him. We (I'm the oldest) invited him and mom over for dinner.

We had about 40 people in the house. Same thing. He talked about it for years!

04-09-2002, 06:33 PM
for the great ideas you guys. I'm lucky my Dad is still around, at an unhealthy 72, every day he's here is a good thing.

04-09-2002, 07:19 PM
You do the math! Make sure their last will and testiment is signed and sealed (and more importantly, make sure you're in it) before throwing the party.

04-10-2002, 01:54 PM
nm