PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a few decisions

Nottom
06-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Paradise $10 tourney

Blinds are up to 100/200 and amazingly enough there are still 5 people left.

Leader has just under 4k, me and another have around 2k, one with around 1300 and another with 700

Its folded to me on the button with A5o, SB is the small stack and BB is almost even with me. I raise to 500, SB folds and BB goes all-in. I fold. Is this correct or do I decide to take my chances and hope to double up and put myself in a good position to begin to take control? I hadn't been stealing too much compared to my normal thieving tactics but I don't think I'd shown down more than 1 or 2 hands either.

A few hands later I'm down to just under 1k and the blinds are now 150/300, the small stack had managed to double up on the previous hand so he had me covered by about 100. I'm in the CO with JTs and decide I might not get another chance before those nasty blinds come calling. I push all-in. Is this too aggressive, can I afford to wait a bit longer here? Button was the former short-stack (who until this point I had thought was maybe a bit too-tight) SB had around 2k and the BB was about 3.5k.

Turns out the button called, flipped up QT ?!!? I hit a jack, but it was next to an 8 and 9 so I'm out in 5th.

Even with the disappointing results I think I played pretty well early on and was fortunate to be where I was considering my cards were running pretty cold with no pairs greater than 9s and no Aces bigger than A7.

fnurt
06-25-2003, 02:08 PM
A5 is a bad hand to call with. I would have folded too.

With only 3x the BB you don't really have any more time to wait, so I would have pushed all-in with JTs too. Sorry it didn't work out.

Jon Matthews
06-25-2003, 02:12 PM
A raise with A5 is a blind steal as far as I'm concerned, once you're played back at you've got to fold, if they don't have a big pair they have an ace anyway.

That said I had JJ cracked by A5 last week, nearly had me out of that tourney til I got JJ again and doubled through the same player /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The JTs all in seems fine to me, again you would prefer a fold, it's either that or you fold yourself. In comparison the QT call was terrible but you know that!

Jon