PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a math degree?

splashpot
11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in applied math. What are my options after graduation? What kinds of jobs can I look at? If I consider grad school, what field can I go into? What tests would I need to take? Keep in mind that for grad school suggestions, my undergrad GPA is far from superb.

GuyOnTilt
11-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Are you [censored] joking me? Shouldn't you know this by now? And even if you somehow don't, why the hell would you be asking here?

GoT

EMcWilliams
11-15-2005, 02:04 PM
While Im not positive, I think an acutary is a well paying job for a math degree. I would look into that, as it is an indemand field with a lot of money in it.

CheckRaise
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Try posting in Science, Math, Philosophy forum. I'm sure people in there will have some good answers for you. I'm made a post similar to this asking about my Biochemisty/Molecular Biology degree and got some good advice.

pokerdirty
11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
yeah, if you are graduating, and don't know what your options are, that's pretty [censored] ing bad.

I don't know, maybe try a career in math?

splashpot
Of course I've talked to advisors/counselors/professors about this. I have no clue why, but it always interests me to see what OOT would say.

jba
you could work as a programmer if that sort of thing floats your boat.

teamdonkey
11-15-2005, 02:14 PM
my freshman year, i asked the head of the math department this question. He said i could teach math or become an actuary. For some reason, i never took another math class again...

GuyOnTilt
11-15-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course I've talked to advisors/counselors/professors about this. I have no clue why, but it always intersts me to see what OOT would say.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah okay, fair enough. My first thought is actuary, but what the hell do I know.

GoT

astroglide
11-15-2005, 02:20 PM
that's a respectable degree. you can do whatever you want, but apparently you don't want anything specific.

PoBoy321
11-15-2005, 02:23 PM
You could be a hobo.

4_2_it
11-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Maybe you can get a job helping Patrick science some rockets.

edtost
11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
anything finance related, though application deadlines for those jobs immediately after graduation passed a while ago.

Matt Flynn
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I went to med school after a couple years. Doesn't really matter. Do whatever seems interesting. And nothing wrong with being a travel bum for a year if you have no clue what you want to do.

Reqtech
11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Anything you want. I have a BS in Math. I have taught, programmed, and now I'm an IT manager. Hell, besides teaching math, I've never really used my math, and it's really a stretch to say that I used math when teaching since it was all super easy high school stuff.

The logical thinking that is required to do well in my proof classes, though, has certainly come in handy.

Once you get your foot in the door, it's all about networking and very little to do with your educational background.

11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Math.

Edit: Post in the Science, Math, Philosophy forum.

DMBFan23
11-15-2005, 05:26 PM
many engineering jobs are open to you. I graduated with a (theoretical) math degree in '03 and I do systems engineering/aerospace stuff now. it's all about being smart, teachable, and having people skills.

it's like Tony Montana says. The world is like a giant p****, just waiting to get f*****.

11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
get an engineering degree - become an engineer.. get a chemistry degree - become a chemist.. Pretty much all science-y degrees directly lead you to a career... except math.

I have a BS in Applied Math.. the options are highly divergent. Could have worked outside doing surveying/engineering - but I had already accepted a job working for a market research firm playing with data. Just don't rule any particular field out - there are a lot of weird jobs out there that use math.

sfer
11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
http://homepage.smc.edu/nestler_andrew/Rushmore1.jpg

BoogerFace
11-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Isn't the ability to solve differential equations worthwhile in itself?

[ QUOTE ]
my undergrad GPA is far from superb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low GPA might be a problem - no matter what you choose to pursue. And anything under 3.5 nowadays is low. Maybe get an MBA?

Toro
11-15-2005, 05:55 PM
You can become a professional [insert word that is taboo in OOT] player.

diebitter
11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
You don't know what you want to do, obviously.

So, what are your hobbies or passions? Tell us, maybe, we can suggest jobs based on them (forget saying girls, parties and drinking, we'll take em as read).

What do you like about math? Problem solving? Application to reality? what?

Luzion
11-15-2005, 06:07 PM
A few people have said actuary already. Im studying for the actuary exams right now. Many of the actuarial students that I know have math degrees. From what I understand, people with math degrees usually go on to teach, become actuaries, or are recruited to become cryptographers for the government.

If you don't want to teach then your best option is probably to become an actuary. Being an actuary has been ranked the top or second top job in the past 15 years by the United States Job Almanac, with one year in exception where it was ranked 4th. Great pay and not too demanding hours, but the exams to become an actuary are notoriously tough. You should look into it if you are interested so you can start on the exam path asap.

CORed
11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken Mason Malmuth has a Math degree. Maybe you could write <unmentionable card game> books, and start a <unmentionable card game> website