View Full Version : 82o in BB against shortstack

ejess
11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
200+15 at party, been bugging me a bit, advice?

Blinds 150/300.

Shortstack is UTG with 600 chips goes all in.
Button with about 4k folds.
SB with about 3k folds.

Hero with about 2k is BB and picks up 82o.

Hero...?

splashpot
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
You're getting 3.5-1 odds. Any 2 cards is easily worth that gamble especially since it can get you ITM.

11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Call with any two here.

tigerite
11-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Your numbers are a little out, so to correct it I fudged Button to have 4150, SB 3150, and you 2100. Unless he's pushing 77+, AJo+, ATs+ here you should definitely call. Even with 82o. But to the two before.. it's not totally clear cut nor is it about pot odds.. this is by ICM. It's pretty unlikely he wouldn't push with more than this though.. it's top 8%.

Edit just to add. To make this a profitable call you have to win ~23.5% of the time against his range.

splashpot
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Who said it wasn't ICM? I just skipped the "given the stack sizes, given his gigantic range, given your equity when you fold, blah, blah" spiel. I figured this one was obvious that the pushing range is enormous. I just restated the pot odds you're getting.

11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Right, that's it. Time to seriously learn what ICM is all about!

tigerite
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who said it wasn't ICM? I just skipped the "given the stack sizes, given his gigantic range, given your equity when you fold, blah, blah" spiel. I figured this one was obvious that the pushing range is enormous. I just restated the pot odds you're getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not sure his range would be gigantic, as he would surely expect the BB to call with any two. If he had 4-5bb instead of 2bb, yeah I'd agree. For sure. But here, it should be "fairly" tight. Just not even close to 8% though, nor the range that the OP would only be 23.5% against.

The 23.5% is by ICM not pot odds too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

splashpot
11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not sure his range would be gigantic, as he would surely expect the BB to call with any two. If he had 4-5bb instead of 2bb, yeah I'd agree. For sure. But here, it should be "fairly" tight. Just not even close to 8% though, nor the range that the OP would only be 23.5% against.

The 23.5% is by ICM not pot odds too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
He may expect me to call with any 2, but there is nothing he can do about it. Put yourself in his spot. He's gonna be in the BB next hand. I'd push here with any better than average hand. Something like top 50%.

EMcWilliams
11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
You have outs to win, and while you would want a little better holding, those odds its worth a shot. If you fold, you are mow giving free chips to the short stack.