PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you push your draw?

JKratzer
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
2/4 Villian $400, I cover. Posting from memory. Villian been at table couple orbits, seems TAG.

KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in EP, I limp, couple other limpers including villian in MP.

Flop K /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Pot $20
Blinds check, I bet $15, villian raises to $40, everyone folds, I??

JKratzer

RDWallace
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
do you have the whole hh? if np is raising into limpers behind (draw generally less likely) i dont mind a call here. If he is button or 2nd button on the flop i probably pot and call a push.

thabadguy
11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Call?
Moving in is a huge overbet, and if u raise to like 120, ur putting a lil less than 1/3 of ur stack in trouble which i hate doing.

RDWallace
11-15-2005, 10:59 AM
on 2nd thought i like a call more. I dont think a diamond necessarily shuts mp down on a set/KT and may entice him to fire again with qj. if i call i probably lead 2/3 pot on a non J/d turn and fold to a raise.

JKratzer
11-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I called.
What range of hands do you put villian on? I assume KQ is no good here, so do you play this hand strictly for flush potential? How about if the flush hits while pairing the board. The actual hand played out uneventfully, but on the flop it seems like there should be several ways of playing this hand out and I'd be curious to hear if anyone does something other than bet/call.

JKratzer

TheWorstPlayer
11-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Sometimes I'll check/call or check/raise.

Edit: I'd say c/c 30-50%, b/c 30-50%, c/r 0-20% ish.

JMa
11-15-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I called.
What range of hands do you put villian on? I assume KQ is no good here, so do you play this hand strictly for flush potential? How about if the flush hits while pairing the board. The actual hand played out uneventfully, but on the flop it seems like there should be several ways of playing this hand out and I'd be curious to hear if anyone does something other than bet/call.

JKratzer

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Lets not jump to conclusions here. your KQ may be good here, he may be on a diamond draw or a straight draw.

Jonny
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Blinds check, I bet $15, villian raises to $40, everyone folds, I??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just call. No point in driving him off a smaller draw or weaker king. Also, if he does have you beat, now you either have to put in a lot of chips as a big underdog.

Another thing to consider is that if he is bluffing, let him continue to do so. Then if I missed everything, mabye throw out a 2/3 blocking bet on the river.

So, I check/call the turn.

Leptyne
11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
A very difficult hand to play OOP. You may have the best hand (or not) and you may have the best draw (or not). Villain's raise may be to punish draws if he has a set or two pair, or he could be on a draw and be looking for a free card. At least half the time I'm going to check this flop. I'm going to call a standard bet and hope I'm in a multi-way pot. A lot of my decisions will be based on villain. Can I outplay this guy? Will he pay off a flush? Will he fold to a semi-bluff if a str8 hits the turn?

This hand is too good to fold. Call the raise, check a blank turn, and hope he's raising for a free card. One big advantage you have is in EP you may have limped with KK or AK.

thabadguy
11-15-2005, 02:14 PM
AA/KK does not check a blank turn here, at least they shouldnt.

Leptyne
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Of course you are correct. Sorry if I implied otherwise. Although most of the time I'm checking this flop if I do lead and get raised I'm probably going to call and check a blank turn hoping that villain raised for a free card and to keep the pot small.

TOP says that often the best response to a semi-bluff raise is to fold. The other option is to come over the top with a semi-bluff raise of your own. If you follow this course you would continue to lead the turn. Warning: this play is done by experts. Do not attempt this play at home. Under no circumstances should you assume you can correctly put TBG on a semi-bluff. If TBG puts in this raise I'm probably folding.

One of the homework assignments I received on 2+2 is to study how good players use position to their advantage.