PDA

View Full Version : Austin Trip Report, Day One, plus...

11-15-2005, 04:32 AM
...Eric's rules for Hostel Life, etc.

Im up at two o clock because Im on a super weird sleep schedule, and the australian guy, who I only know as "wanker" cuz that's what his friends call him, is snoring.

Rule #1)Bring nice pillow, and earplugs, or music, to drown out drunken snoring from crazy Europeans, et al.

I thought I would tell you guys about my trip thus far, and bring you some basic rules I've learned so far.

I couldn't sleep last night, because I was nervous about getting all this [censored] done in Austin today, so over the night I downed 2 Monster energy drinks. Got everything on the road at about 7AM, right when tony pal was going to sleep. I quit smoking a while ago, but I bought a pack to help me stay awake, along with 1 more Monster and 2 bottled Starbucks Frappucino's.

I get to the hostel at about 10AM, and sign in, and meet the guys here: about 10 brits, and a group of four Aussies. I jokingly tell the Aussies that tonight I'll show em how a real man drinks.

Rule #2) When it comes to drinking, Aussies dont have much of a sense of humor.

I head over to Athena's place to see if I wanna live there, and onthe way, get lost. Get there about ten minutes late, she's not hot... bummer. I still wanna move in though. We crack a beer or two and Im chilling there on her couch, which at this point feels like the most comfortable thing ever. She goes to get her mail, and I fall asleep. She comes back, finds me asleep, shakes me awake, and then asks "Did you fart?!" "No, your dog did". Close one.

Rule #3) Always have a scapegoat after you sleepfart on the couch of a woman you've known for less than an hour.

My stomach by this time is making some strange sounds, so I ask if we can go get food... we get mexican.

Rule #4) 3 Energy Drinks + 2 Fraps + 12 Cigs + Mexican... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I leave her place, and since I now have been in the city for nigh on 6 hours, I decide to take a shortcut.

Rule #5) Don't take shortcuts in strange cities.

I turn a 10 minute drive into an hour, and by the time I get to the place, my stomach is really tellin me there's a problem. So, I hit the bathroom... it looks like what Rusted Corpse sent in, just... god, cant describe it. About 5 minutes in, I hear someone coughing and running around spraying lysol. When Im done, I sneak out the back way and come around the front, and that's when it hits me: I stunk up the whole damn place.

Talking to some of the foreignors, they tell me that that is the craziest thing thats happened to them in America so far. I said, "Glad I could make some memories." All the people who come through here write inspirational things in the guestbook, or leave momentos... what do I do? Well I guess you could call it leaving a momento.

Rule #6) When you feel the storm brewing, dont unleash it in the hostel. Find a convenience store to bear the brunt of your wrath.

This has gotten too long, so I'll wrap it up, but I'll be back tomorrow to tell yall more, if you're interested.

Later, Eric.