PDA

View Full Version : Trying to play more

beachbum
11-15-2005, 04:31 AM
I've always been pretty anal (or disciplined, whatever) about my poker sessions. Pretty much since I've started playing a couple years ago, I just about always sit down and play 300 hands at a time. It was 3 tables when I played full ring, and now it's 2 tables of SH. Either way, I get about 180 hands/hour, so my sessions are about 100 minutes. I don't usually start til after 3pm Pacific ST, and try not to play past 1am. My goals are 16 sessions per week (~4800 hands) which gives me 20,000 hands per month. Also, I try to take one day off each week.

I read those monthly goals posts and I see some players have goals to play tens of thousands of more hands per month than I do. However, I don't know how many tables at once you guys play so I'm not sure how many playing-hours this is.

For those of you that are pro/full time players, I'm looking to get more hands in per month but not sure where to start. So here's some specific questions:

1) Are the games decent much before 3pm PST (6pm EST)?
2) How many hours per week do you guys play, and not get burnt out?
3) After how many hours in a day does your play degrade from your brain being fried?
4) Should I play longer sessions when I'm seated at some really juicy tables, or will my play degrade too much?

I'd just like to hear what works for you guys that play a lot. I'm looking for ideas of whether to play longer sessions, different times of the day, more sessions each day, etc. and still have a life. I'd eventually like to get to 30K hands/month staying with 2 tables at a time.

MyTurn2Raise
11-15-2005, 04:41 AM
1) Many sites with a majority of European players are better much earlier in the day: 1PM CST is sweet spot at some sites.
2) I can play upto 55 hours/week, but I take one week a month off.
3) Depends on the day and how I feel...I usually only play upto 4 hours straight. I play 2 sessions most weekdays, sometimes a 3rd. Occasionally, I'll put in an extra few hours on the weekend.
4) I never leave juicy tables unless I'm dog, dog tired or playing really freaking bad.

Escape
11-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I don't play enough myself but I can comment on some of your questions though.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Are the games decent much before 3pm PST (6pm EST)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Europe and the games on party are always Ok/good. You can always sit with 2 fish on each table. All you need is table selection.

[ QUOTE ]
2) How many hours per week do you guys play, and not get burnt out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually play somewhere in the range of 10 hours each week. I feel I can do about twice that much.

[ QUOTE ]
3) After how many hours in a day does your play degrade from your brain being fried?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually pretty tired after two 2 hour sessions, but that feeling only lasts about 30 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Should I play longer sessions when I'm seated at some really juicy tables, or will my play degrade too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, we can't judge how you feel, can we?

Im looking forward to answers of other posters.

Gl,
Escape

TheMetetron
11-15-2005, 04:51 AM
8 tabling is fun.

Great way to get craploads of hands in. Only thing that sucks is that I'm temporarily playing $5/10 while getting used to it at short-handed.

Spook
11-15-2005, 05:22 AM
I play PS and try to avoid it between 1:30 PM PST and 3 PM PST, I find that the table selection is very bad overall with mostly tight players. (This is across many different low buyin styles)
It might be because people are coming home from work on the east coast, or possibly because multitablers of the 4:15 10 dollar rebuy.
I find this is a great time to go out and ride my bike.