PDA

View Full Version : How could I have played this differently?

Justaloser
06-25-2003, 10:28 AM
$5 sit and go. Blinds are 50/100. I am chip leader w/T1995
but everyone has at least T1000. 6 players left.

I get 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in the small blind. 3 limpers to me. I complete and BB checks. 5 players in the pot.

Flop is 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif k /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Yes!

It is checked to the cutoff who bets 100. Button calls, I call.

Turn is 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif Cutoff bets 100, Button calls, I bet 1k (wrong play?), Cutoff calls (doh!) and button folds.

River is 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I bet 385 which puts him all in.

He turns over 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and I'm crippled.

What would be a better play? Is there any way to think that he had the set? He wasn't a tricky player up to that point, very straight forward in his play.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-25-2003, 10:59 AM
C/O's underbet on the flop has to set off alarms, but I don't see how you can avoid disaster after flopping a set, set over set being as rare as it is. I think you have to raise the underbet, but if you're going to make it 1,000, you might as well push all-in.

I'd probably make my flop raise 500, but can anybody really say they'd lay down a set if reraised? I'm not sure I could.

Copernicus
06-25-2003, 11:05 AM
I think you both played it poorly, IMO. Slowplaying with anything less than the nuts in tournaments is an invitation to get cracked so often it more than offsets the extra chips you might pick up. I would have been more aggressive than either of you on the flop, and when the turn comes up with flush and straight draws, I would be more aggressive than either of you. Of course all that means is you would have busted out sooner in the hand!

Speaking of getting cracked, I had 3! three 3! boats beaten by quads within 2 hours on Monday night

Justaloser
06-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have to admit my "spider sense" never went off with the small bet. The only problem I see with making a raise after the flop was that I was first to act. I don't know that a raise would have gotten him out.

Guess I'll just chalk it up as the poker gods are punishing me today /forums/images/icons/wink.gif