PDA

View Full Version : Opening Lines for Chicks @ Coffee Shops

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:37 AM
I've been working on my game lately and trying gets numbers from chicks at coffee shops. While I'm not a ladies man like TT or whoever, I'm also not a shy guy. Starting up a conversation and not having it go anywhere doesn't really bother me. What I DO have a problem with is that first few seconds where I spot a chick I'm interested in... I can't think of anything to say, and by the time I come up with something I have a hard time "pulling the trigger" and going up to her. I'd like something that I can just say right away to get me into the flow of things.

What are some standard opening lines that fellow OOTers use in my situation? And please, no corny pick up lines, I'm looking for something that people actually use.

11-15-2005, 03:39 AM
its all about saying somthing about them.

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:41 AM
Example?

siccjay
11-15-2005, 03:42 AM
How about....."Hi."

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about....."Hi."

[/ QUOTE ]
You must not get laid much. . .

Blarg
11-15-2005, 03:44 AM
"Your nipple's showing."

The Truth
11-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Ask for her opinion on something.

What do you like better, red M&Ms or green M&Ms.

that ones worked, just whatever /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blake

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Mmm, golden suggestion Blake. Now run with it a little. You're standing next to this 8 in line. What specifically are you going to say?

11-15-2005, 03:48 AM
W-w-w-what kinda c-c-c-coffee you like t-t-to drink?

diebitter
11-15-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Example?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi! How's it going?" and a nice smile, as opposed to inane grin or evil leer. Watch carefully for any gladeye, and if it's there, you've got your shot.

I'm not kidding.

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
W-w-w-what kinda c-c-c-coffee you like t-t-to drink?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're fired.

Malachii
11-15-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"Hi! How's it going?" and a nice smile, as opposed to inane grin or evil leer.

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that really work? It seems so... simple. I'll try it out tomorrow and give you a trip report. I have to say that despite my dashing good lucks, I have low expectations.

PoBoy321
11-15-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about....."Hi."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, he's not the one asking a bunch of p*ker players on an internet message board how to pick up chicks.

Also, you might wanna try "So, is that a venti double mocha half caf latte frappuccino with extra foam in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

EDIT: And yes, just saying "Hi, how are you" works, suprisingly well, in fact.

housenuts
11-15-2005, 03:54 AM
are you single?

yes. that was a bold question

i thought it was the most appropriate thing to say at the time.

--I saw this conversation go down between some guy and a random girl at the lineup in Future Shop. the conversation went on from there and then he got her number.....as she was telling him her number i wrote it down myself so i could call her later too. actually i didn't, but i should have.

siccjay
11-15-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about....."Hi."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the guy asking a message board how to talk to girls....

diebitter
11-15-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that really work? It seems so... simple. I'll try it out tomorrow and give you a trip report. I have to say that despite my dashing good lucks, I have bad expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I can't be sure. I never approach women in this way, and have done this inadvertently twice in my life, but thought I was actually talking to someone I know. Both times, I could see interest in their eyes, but realised my mistake (both times I only saw the girl in profile at first, and it was a genuine mistake), but was caught off guard and just apologized for my mistake and left it. I felt bad about one of them, cos she looked quite despondent as I backed away, made a sad face, and said quite sweetly, "oh, that's alright, I really don't mind..." (I was seeing someone, if any of you are wondering why I left the scene). I think she thought I was doing a line, seen her properly, and changed my mind...

The Truth
11-15-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that really work? It seems so... simple. I'll try it out tomorrow and give you a trip report. I have to say that despite my dashing good lucks, I have low expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did roll with this one. I would just sit down at her table (acting like i'm supposed to be there) while I said it. She'll be confused cause you know, who the hell does this guy think he is. Then hope she reopens the conversation before I have to.

Just act like you run the place. Alot of the time I just do stuff to see how the girl will react. If she is reacting at all its good.

Try to always be happy to

blake

housenuts
11-15-2005, 03:56 AM
how about "i really like your shirt"

note: shirt can be substituted for shoes, dress, fingernails, socks, or breasts

PoBoy321
11-15-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as she was telling him her number i wrote it down myself so i could call her later too. actually i didn't, but i should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say that you did, in fact, call that woman. What would you say? I'm not sure that the whole "Hi, how are you" bit would go over so well as it would probably be followed by "Yeah, um, I don't know you, and we've never met, but I overheard you giving your number to some guy, so I wrote it down and thought I'd call you."

The Truth
11-15-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mmm, golden suggestion Blake. Now run with it a little. You're standing next to this 8 in line. What specifically are you going to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, if she said green, I would say something stupid like, "no, nope, thats just not gonna work. I read green M&Ms cause cancer. Did you know that?"

For god sakes shed have to at least smile or give some reaction then. Then you can start talking about whatever else that interst you, the book she is reading or something. Try to make sure the conversation isn't too mundane, and give her a little bit of a hard time. Dont compliment her and tell her she is pretty or anything goofy.

blake

housenuts
11-15-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as she was telling him her number i wrote it down myself so i could call her later too. actually i didn't, but i should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say that you did, in fact, call that woman. What would you say? I'm not sure that the whole "Hi, how are you" bit would go over so well as it would probably be followed by "Yeah, um, I don't know you, and we've never met, but I overheard you giving your number to some guy, so I wrote it down and thought I'd call you."

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasn't saying i didn't call her. i was saying i didn't write her number down...that would be creepy. but i should have because it would have been funny

housenuts
11-15-2005, 04:02 AM
here's one i used at the campus bar once.

it was about the middle of the night and we were leaving. there was this girl at the door. i said hi, and she smiled back and said hi. then i said "alright my friends and i are leaving right now but here's what's going to happen. when i run into you next on campus we're gonna go get a coffee, ok?"

she was like "what are the chances of that?!?! why don't you just take my number right now"

sold. too easy.

diebitter
11-15-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look okay, are clean and reasonably well-dressed, and don't just dribble, have a voice like Mr Bean, hum to yourself or say something like 'who you callin a psycho?' as the follow up, I'd say very good chances. And welcome to the next part of your life. Have fun now!

PS. make 'Confidence not ego' your watchwords.

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Ralph Wiggum's line to Lisa still rates as an all time smooth classic:

Ralph: So, do you like...stuff?

TripleH68
11-15-2005, 04:12 AM
If a girl came up to you in a coffee shop what would she need to say to have a chance with you?

My point exactly.

scotty34
11-15-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine told us to watch as he tried this one on various girls for our amusement. Most of the girls didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for him, and in general looked really confused. It actually got a conversation going a couple of times though.

manpower
11-15-2005, 04:13 AM
"Hi, I don't come here often. What do you think of their _______"

housenuts
11-15-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If a girl came up to you in a coffee shop what would she need to say to have a chance with you?

My point exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good concept

siccjay
11-15-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My point exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good concept

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

They are just people, just like us men.

11-15-2005, 04:17 AM
i dont know, but i think for guys, this is highly dependent on how attractive the girl is.

housenuts
11-15-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know, but i think for guys, this is highly dependent on how attractive the girl is.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but your standards drop significantly i think. for example you may see a girl at the coffee shop and think 'meh, i'm not going to bother approaching her, she's an average jane'

but if she comes up to you, then you think 'wow, this is too easy, may as well go for another tally'

Mr_J
11-15-2005, 04:21 AM
"are you single?"

"Are you seeing anyone" is the way I'd put it, wouldn't open with it though. Not that I care if she's seeing anyone anyway since I don't do relationships.

I usually let off a "hey, how's it going" or just a "hey" or "hi".

uw_madtown
11-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Another one that isn't bad is, "Hey, I was wondering, could I ask you something?" If she looks interested, then follow up with some sort of complex question, like... "I need a woman's perspective on something. My friend just called and said his girlfriend is really upset because he still talks to his ex sometimes, even though they're just friends. Is that something that really bothers most women?"

Or whatever. Bam, you're in a conversation.

If she doesn't look interested when you approach, ditch off to a question that allows her to cleanly end the discussion, like "Do you know what's good here?" If she answers still disinterested, just say thanks and go order or something. But even here, you might find your original read was off and you can continue from there.

diebitter
11-15-2005, 04:27 AM
I often opened to girls in bars and stuff with 'you look interesting, can I talk to you for a bit?'

It sounds lame, but there you go. And yes, they did look interesting to me, if you're wondering

I'd also try and get them guessing what I did for a job, and when it turned to what they did, I'd ask to feel their hands (on the pretext of using it as a way to guess), and touch their fingers very delicately but firmly, if that makes sense (your pretext is callouses etc, but you say stuff like 'oh your skin is so soft and delicate...' stuff). And usually continued talking while still rubbing their hands gently with mine.

Damn, I used to be smooth...

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:31 AM
That sounds way better than my usual technique of asking them to pull a bucket off my head.

Malachii
11-15-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Says the guy asking a message board how to talk to girls

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... touché

Malachii
11-15-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I often opened to girls in bars and stuff with 'you look interesting, can I talk to you for a bit?'

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... I don't know about that one... it gives away a ton of personal power and basically communicates that I'm a wuss / pushover, which I'm not. Good suggestions otherwise.

runner4life7
11-15-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
here's one i used at the campus bar once.

it was about the middle of the night and we were leaving. there was this girl at the door. i said hi, and she smiled back and said hi. then i said "alright my friends and i are leaving right now but here's what's going to happen. when i run into you next on campus we're gonna go get a coffee, ok?"

she was like "what are the chances of that?!?! why don't you just take my number right now"

sold. too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this one and might just have to try it

diebitter
11-15-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... I don't know about that one... it gives away a ton of personal power and basically communicates that I'm a wuss / pushover, which I'm not. Good suggestions otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had a 'no' at this point, it's complimentary without addressing appearance (which is the usual guy thing and something lots of women have built immunity to). And it's very, very quickly forgotten once the talking starts, as it's quite neutral.

So unless American women are very different from English women, I'd be very surprised this isn't a good opener for you.

We need Dom or women to give a proper view on this...

Malachii
11-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Blake's suggestions are genius. I shudder to think at the amount of warm poonany the man will enjoy before his time is up.

Diebitters "Hi, how's it going," while not particularly inventive, does have a sort of elegant simplicity. I'll definitely be trying that one tomorrow.

"Are you single?" I've actually used that one before on this chick at a store near my former job. Worked pretty well, although the chick had a boyfriend. Definitely provoked a positive reaction.

Props to housenuts for excellent contributions to the thread. And Blarg, despite choosing to act like a smartass, has made me laugh so props to him too.

Themanpower's seems like it could work, but I have to say that's not really my style.

Madtown's post is very good.

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions.

11-15-2005, 05:19 AM
"Whats the deal with airplane peanuts?"

Cumulonimbus
11-15-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about....."Hi."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi" is one of the best lines out there... if you know how to use it.

housenuts
11-15-2005, 06:22 AM
"excuse me, but do you post on 2+2 as whiskeytown?"

Spladle Master
11-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Keep it simple.

Dariel86
11-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Neither do you apparently. I don't get why you would be asking this if you were...

2+2 wannabe
11-15-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Neither do you apparently. I don't get why you would be asking this if you were...

[/ QUOTE ]

3 hours ago called - it wants its comeback back

11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Why, you're its all time bestseller!?!?!?!

couldn't resist.

oh, and for two all-time corny lines that work if you wanna pull off the "cute-goofy" thing (I only do this with relationship prospects, not one-night standers) you can drop a sugar packet in front of her ...make sure it says sugar on it... and tell her she dropped her nametag.

honestly its corny as [censored], but it at least makes em laugh every time. not to mention they'll probably tell their friends about it, and remember it for a while.

2+2 wannabe
11-15-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can drop a sugar packet in front of her ...make sure it says sugar on it... and tell her she dropped her nametag.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to be hot for this to work - and even then anything you say will probably drop her panties

but this is behemoth, who scores hot chicks....hmmmmmm

11-15-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but this is behemoth, who scores hot chicks....hmmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

if only women thought this way. hmm, I have an idea for a t-shirt!!

nah, one of the easiest ways to break the ice is with a laugh, because women won't laugh at something they're not interested in, you have their attention. After that, it's up to you.

The other CORNY ASS LINE I've used drunk on occasion was..
god, I dont wanna admit this...

"Do you know how much a polar bear weighs?"

"Just enough to break the ice."

I didn't think it worked, but it sufficed for the girl to remember me weeks later, which is what effective ice-breaking is all about.

Then of course, I came to OOT, and the behemoth has arisen.
(Um, me... not my penis.)
(My penis' name is Thor the Flesh Hammer)
(Or the BA, because I've been told that its shadow looks like a baby's arm holding an apple.)

11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Example?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi! How's it going?" and a nice smile, as opposed to inane grin or evil leer. Watch carefully for any gladeye, and if it's there, you've got your shot.

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter,

Whenever I open these threads, I skip strait to your responses.

samjjones
11-15-2005, 10:29 AM
"Would you like some cream for your coffee?"

Aces McGee
11-15-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
was saying i didn't write her number down...that would be creepy. but i should have because it would have been funny

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did something like this once, although be forewarned that my story has a disappointing ending. I was riding the subway to work one morning, and some guy struck up a converation with this girl. The girl seemed pretty uninterested, and at the end of it, as the train reached her stop, the guy asked for her number. She gave him a number, and I was absolutely convinced it was fake, so I made a point to remember it and called it later that morning, just to see.

It was her real number. I got her answering machine, though, so no awkward conversation. In retrospect, leaving a message would've been funny.

-McGee

GuyOnTilt
11-15-2005, 10:42 AM
I always just ask them about whatever happens to be on my mind at the moment. My throat is shot to hell and has been in a lot of pain for the past few days, so I ran out yesterday to Starbucks to get a tea and lounge and read. I was thinking about how long it'd be since I'd been to a Starbucks as opposed to making my own coffee, and from there how long it'd been since I had a soda since I swore it off for the summer and now find it appalling. Super cute girl was spotted and I went up to her and asked her if she remembered Crystal Pepsi. We laughed and chatted and I ended up not touching my book. And yes, I got her number. Anything that can bring up extreme emotions (love/hate) is going to be good. Things that can quickly or immediately lead to her having a "omg I [LOVE, can't STAND] _____" reaction.

GoT

bwana devil
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
"want to go out for a cup of coffee now?"

The Truth
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always just ask them about whatever happens to be on my mind at the moment. My throat is shot to hell and has been in a lot of pain for the past few days, so I ran out yesterday to Starbucks to get a tea and lounge and read. I was thinking about how long it'd be since I'd been to a Starbucks as opposed to making my own coffee, and from there how long it'd been since I had a soda since I swore it off for the summer and now find it appalling. Super cute girl was spotted and I went up to her and asked her if she remembered Crystal Pepsi. We laughed and chatted and I ended up not touching my book. And yes, I got her number. Anything that can bring up extreme emotions (love/hate) is going to be good. Things that can quickly or immediately lead to her having a "omg I [LOVE, can't STAND] _____" reaction.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

blake

Vavavoom
11-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It sounds lame, but there you go. And yes, they did look interesting to me, if you're wondering

I'd also try and get them guessing what I did for a job, and when it turned to what they did, I'd ask to feel their hands (on the pretext of using it as a way to guess), and touch their fingers very delicately but firmly, if that makes sense (your pretext is callouses etc, but you say stuff like 'oh your skin is so soft and delicate...' stuff). And usually continued talking while still rubbing their hands gently with mine.

Damn, I used to be smooth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, remind me not to be out trying to pick up chicks with you two unless I want to take a bullet for the team...

Diebitter....U better have all the lines ready for Saturday - I wanna see you in action...u have definitely set yourself a precedent....

ChipWrecked
11-15-2005, 11:02 AM
The Dale Carnegie method: people are interested in themselves.

Anything you can say to get her talking about herself is gold; where she got her blouse, anything. Then, just act interested and keep lobbing open questions, i.e. not 'yes' or 'no', actually listen to her answers. You just became the best conversationalist she ever met.

beset7
11-15-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eye contact. Don't forget eye contact.

ChipWrecked
11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eye contact. Don't forget eye contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

"Wow, can you pick up Tokyo with those?"

11-15-2005, 11:15 AM
This one works well, especially at coffee shops: "My love for you is like diarrhea. I can't hold it in."

coffeecrazy1
11-15-2005, 11:16 AM
"You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops." - Tom Waits

M2d
11-15-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
any Hellen Keller quote would likely work on most OOTiots.

asofel
11-15-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post Guy. Feel like describing that first initial moment?

I've stopped worrying about the intro so much, as what you say doesn't matter nearly as much as how you say it, or what you follow up with.

Be confident, be fun, don't be too goofy or weird. Sarcasm and the ability to say a variety of things with a straight face is key. If you're lucky enough to have a friend there then you have an easy foil for plenty of conversation starters.

11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
"So, do you drink coffee?"

man
11-15-2005, 11:49 AM
the only way you'll learn is through practice. to practice, go to a coffee shop and talk to a girl way below your standards. say anything that comes to mind, and see what works. the thing is that if you're not comfortable with your "opening line", it's a pointless exercise to try to talk to a girl you're actually interested in.

an alternate exercise is to talk to a girl way above your standards. if you can put the possibility of actually getting with them out of your mind, it takes a lot of the pressure off.

diebitter
11-15-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Diebitter....U better have all the lines ready for Saturday - I wanna see you in action...u have definitely set yourself a precedent....

[/ QUOTE ]

Vava, you've seen my picture of how I look now. Do you really think I'd be able to even pull a rotten tooth out of a dead horse's head???

mprhino
11-15-2005, 12:42 PM
If you use the "Are you single?" line, and she says "no". Then your follow up question should be "Do you cheat?"

Autocratic
11-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Lines are good, but I prefer to pretend to be talking to someone on my cell phone and say something like "Whatever, 25 grand isn't a big deal." Most girls won't respond to it, but you'll bang more golddiggers than you'd believe.

Yeti
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you use the "Are you single?" line, and she says "no". Then your follow up question should be "Do you cheat?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this.

housenuts
11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
how about:

excuse me, do you have any ice?
huh?
because some needs to be broken

11-15-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gold!

sfer
11-15-2005, 02:57 PM
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/george/george_costanza003.jpg

My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.

pokerdirty
11-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Great episode. This is the one where he gets the job with the Yanks, right?

The Truth
11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/george/george_costanza003.jpg

My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

blake

Blarg
11-15-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine told us to watch as he tried this one on various girls for our amusement. Most of the girls didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for him, and in general looked really confused. It actually got a conversation going a couple of times though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your friend. He's got balls and a sense of humor. I don't think I could go through setting myself up for that kind of punishment, though I bet I would be dying of laughter half the time.

It would be funny as hell to see his delivery -- if he could do as cool as studmeister Ralphy. This would actually make a terrific net video or magazine show segment.

Blarg
11-15-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had a 'no' at this point, it's complimentary without addressing appearance (which is the usual guy thing and something lots of women have built immunity to). And it's very, very quickly forgotten once the talking starts, as it's quite neutral.

So unless American women are very different from English women, I'd be very surprised this isn't a good opener for you.

We need Dom or women to give a proper view on this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is bad at all. I think women are just as happy to get the preliminaries out of the way so you can just talk as you are. Whatever gets through the awkwardness of meeting a stranger quick is cool. I've found women seem to like just relating to them without any hype quite a bit, so if you start off on that ground already, it's often very successful. You will actually stand out from a lot of guys if you make an intro a low-pressure thing. It shows confidence that many guys don't have, doesn't seem phoney, and doesn't get you as dangerously close to the land of begging, bullcrap, and loserdom as trying to flatter them right off the bat does. Women like men who know how to speak to women, so if you just do it instead of filtering it through some self-protective or self-deceptive mechanical or hopped up "guy" schtick, you walk in a door that makes you more interesting automatically. Girls can have any guy kiss their ass or bullshi_ them, but not as many guys just come up and have a cool enough conversation with them and make them feel comfortable right away. Being a real person can really cleanly separate you out from the pack sometimes.

This is actually one of the reasons women like assholes so much too. An [censored] just is who he is and says what he wants. Anyone can relate, even if they hate his guts. And women can relate to a clean break from the bullcrap, too. Even if it's from a regular dude or Mr. Nice Guy.

Once you start weirding yourself out or holding them up as something strange or special, you give the both of you something strange and uncomfortable to work through, and it's no fun for them. (Or you.) And you fall into the Just Another Guy pile, which is very closely related to the Rejects pile.

Sometimes being yourself isn't going to work, but at heart, most people with their heads screwed on straight can relate to a regular old normal person pretty well, at least well enough to give you your fair shot. Even if you don't get anywhere romantically just by being straight out real with someone, you've given yourself the best chance by starting on a normal level, and the both of you can still remain unweirded out pretty easily even if there are some stumbles or a rejection. And women can be surprisingly grateful for someone just talking to them like a human being instead of polishing their moves, shooting their angles, doing the same old predictable flattery, etc. Everybody likes to be put at ease in social situations; if you can be the guy that makes them feel more at ease rather than less, you're automatically different and nicer to be around than a hell of a lot of other guys, many of them much richer, or smarter, or funnier, or better looking than you.

Blarg
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why, you're its all time bestseller!?!?!?!

couldn't resist.

oh, and for two all-time corny lines that work if you wanna pull off the "cute-goofy" thing (I only do this with relationship prospects, not one-night standers) you can drop a sugar packet in front of her ...make sure it says sugar on it... and tell her she dropped her nametag.

honestly its corny as [censored], but it at least makes em laugh every time. not to mention they'll probably tell their friends about it, and remember it for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oof, I think my balls just shriveled down a size reading that.

Blarg
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
was saying i didn't write her number down...that would be creepy. but i should have because it would have been funny

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did something like this once, although be forewarned that my story has a disappointing ending. I was riding the subway to work one morning, and some guy struck up a converation with this girl. The girl seemed pretty uninterested, and at the end of it, as the train reached her stop, the guy asked for her number. She gave him a number, and I was absolutely convinced it was fake, so I made a point to remember it and called it later that morning, just to see.

It was her real number. I got her answering machine, though, so no awkward conversation. In retrospect, leaving a message would've been funny.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretending to be the other guy and leaving a completely psycho message would have been all time [censored] gold here.

IndieMatty
11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
"Hey you want to go out and grab a few drinks at the bar? This coffee shop is lame."

Crveballin
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.vkn.com/movies/tombstone/valdoc.jpg

Ill be your huckleberry

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Dale Carnegie method: people are interested in themselves.

Anything you can say to get her talking about herself is gold; where she got her blouse, anything. Then, just act interested and keep lobbing open questions, i.e. not 'yes' or 'no', actually listen to her answers. You just became the best conversationalist she ever met.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gold when the ice has already been broken, but doesn't come into pick-up line/situation category.

Very true though. You're a brilliant conversationalist when you don't say anything but just listen to somebody blab, and unusually perceptive and intelligent when you agree with them.

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This one works well, especially at coffee shops: "My love for you is like diarrhea. I can't hold it in."

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

gamblore99
11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Example?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter,

Whenever I open these threads, I skip strait to your responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diebitter has good stuff.

BobboFitos
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
say, "did you know i was all county in '96..."

mprhino
11-15-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is gold!

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of summers ago I used to throw this out there alot. It can be alot of fun, you get some interesting reactions. I can remember one girl who shamefully shook her head yes

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I want to hear the rest of the story.

bad beetz
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I've found this to be the #1 most succesful line.....

"Hi, My name is Dave.... I think you're very pretty would you like to go out sometime?"

IndieMatty
11-15-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've found this to be the #1 most succesful line.....

"Hi, My name is Dave.... I think you're very pretty would you like to go out sometime?"

[/ QUOTE ]

But,what happens when they find out my name is actually Matt? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
11-15-2005, 04:47 PM
This line is much less successful if your name isn't Dave.

B00T
11-15-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
say, "did you know i was all county in '95..."

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh

mprhino
11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
I wish there was more to the story...I remember talking to this chick at a party, she wasn't acting in way like she had a boyfriend. She then slipped it in that she had one, and I responding with something like, "well thats to bad...but do you cheat?" She nodded yes, I checked if she was serious. She said yes, but her boy friend was coming to the party soon.

I was pretty shocked she said yes, and my buddy confirmed that she was a habitually cheater. Sorry nothing good here.

GuyOnTilt
11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post Guy. Feel like describing that first initial moment?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know that there's much to describe. She had just picked up her espresso from the counter and sat down at an empty table. I had ordered and was waiting for mine and went over and sat down across from her, leaned in over the table and asked her kind of quietly but with urgency, "Do you remember that Crystal Pepsi stuff?" She smiled and said yes, trailing off with an ellipses like she was expeccting more, so I continued with, "Okay good, 'cause I just got off the phone with a friend and he SWEARS I'm crazy and the stuff never existed." Which was a lie, but whatev, it just came out. Then she went on to say she doesn't drink anything but Diet Coke, I told her I swore off soda for good, blah blah blah, I let her talk about her life, school, etc, we have some laughs, we chat about other light stuff for ~half an hour before we have to go. I get her number and give her a hug goodbye and that's it.

[ QUOTE ]

I've stopped worrying about the intro so much, as what you say doesn't matter nearly as much as how you say it, or what you follow up with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely true. Can't be stressed enough.

GoT

tonypaladino
11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
say, "did you know i was all county in '96..."

[/ QUOTE ]

'95!!!! WTF This calls for a lifetime banning!!!!!!

Dantes
11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
isn't the correct response "well I'm quick lets go to the bathroom"?

mprhino
11-15-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't the correct response "well I'm quick lets go to the bathroom"?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...yes it is, I guess i wasn't on top of my game.

whiskeytown
11-15-2005, 08:30 PM
that does it - you're going on the list.

Right after Lenny and the Illumaniti.

RB

runout_mick
11-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Walk up to her and ask with a smile and a slightly confused look on your face : "Aren't you Christie's sister?". When she denies it, your conversation has already started, as you exchange ideas as to where you've met before (even though you know you haven't).

Your foot's in the door, run with it.

My friends keep a running count on how many times they've heard me ask this question as it works anywhere and in any situation, and there's no need to change it up.

p.s. I started doing this to meet girls after actually mistaking a girl for "Christie's sister", and proceeding to have a great conversation with the misidentified miss. It worked so well, I just kept it as part of my approach.

MelK
11-16-2005, 08:40 AM
And what do you say when she says that she is Christie's sister?

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And what do you say when she says that she is Christie's sister?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Do you give better head than she does?"

WDC
11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
would you like to use my swizzle stick?

diebitter
11-17-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blake's suggestions are genius. I shudder to think at the amount of warm poonany the man will enjoy before his time is up.

Diebitters "Hi, how's it going," while not particularly inventive, does have a sort of elegant simplicity. I'll definitely be trying that one tomorrow.

"Are you single?" I've actually used that one before on this chick at a store near my former job. Worked pretty well, although the chick had a boyfriend. Definitely provoked a positive reaction.

Props to housenuts for excellent contributions to the thread. And Blarg, despite choosing to act like a smartass, has made me laugh so props to him too.

Themanpower's seems like it could work, but I have to say that's not really my style.

Madtown's post is very good.

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND THEN?

Yeti
11-17-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
......I get her number and give her a hug goodbye and that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the few times I've been genuinely impressed with someone on 2+2. Sounds like you made a nice play.