PDA

View Full Version : TPTK

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 03:36 AM
20/40 Mirage

UTG limps and he is a any 2 suited type who is generally playing weak. All fold to me and I raise w/AJo in the SB, the big blind folds, UTG calls.

2 to the flop for 5 SBs.

FLOP: 982r

I bet, UTG calls.

TURN: J

I bet, UTG raises.

Your action?

flopmonster
11-15-2005, 03:43 AM
no reads as to his aggression? i call down on that board

thirddan
11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
call and check/call...against an unknown...

he could easily be doing this with a hand like JT/T9/T8...

i think that if a 7/Q/T come on the river i would consider checking and folding to a bet since you described his as weak...

TakeMeToTheRiver
11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
I likely call and check/call.

But now that I think about it -- If the river is a rag, a bet/fold might be better and +EV. I think you get called by many one pair hands that you beat and only get raised by hands that beat you.

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no reads as to his aggression? i call down on that board

[/ QUOTE ]

He's passive for the most part; I have a solid image.

B Dids
11-15-2005, 03:14 PM
If he can raise a naked jack here, I 3-bet unless I know 100% that he won't call w/o a naked jack and that I'll get more out of calling and then calling the river.

If he's less predictable, I'll call down.

If weak means "I'm drawing dead to his straight/set", I fold.

W. Deranged
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he can raise a naked jack here, I 3-bet unless I know 100% that he won't call w/o a naked jack and that I'll get more out of calling and then calling the river.

If he's less predictable, I'll call down.

If weak means "I'm drawing dead to his straight/set", I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

My basic feeling is that this hand is so read-dependent as to be pretty hard to give general guidance on. I think Dids sums it up pretty well. Against an unknown I think calling down is probably right. There are certainly players who I would want to three-bet, some who I'd want to fold to, some who I'd want to call the raise and donk the river, etc...

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 03:43 PM
This is a clear fold and I'd make a similar fold online to a passive opponent. The pot is way to small to get to a showdown given that I could be drawing dead, never mind how slim I'm drawing to 2-pair. He's range is 88,99, QT, J9, for a raise on this turn too often.

In a 6.5BB pot, costing 2 to get to a showdown, it's a losing proposition.

I folded.

callmedonnie
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Call and bet/fold a safe river? I think that is what I would do.

BigEndian
11-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Not much info here to go on Joe. Barring any info, this is a simple call down.

- Jim

BigEndian
11-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but imo this player needs to be very passive for an online player and reasonably passive for a live player to make folding right. If you think he's passive enough, awesome.

- Jim

ZootMurph
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
A passive player raises on a coordinated board. I really have a hard time calling here. From your read, he could have anything like J9s or QTs. I can't imagine being ahead here, and possibly drawing to very few outs. If he is weak/passive, can you seeing him raising here with something like JT, QJ, or KJ? I can't, and let it go.

colgin
11-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey Joe,

Haven't read any responses yet but this seems like the easiest fold ever. Getting 6.5:1 when you are never ahead, have 5 outs only very infrequently, 3 outs occassionally and are drawing dead a fair amount off the time, makes this one easy.

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Haven't read any responses yet but this seems like the easiest fold ever. Getting 6.5:1 when you are never ahead, have 5 outs only very infrequently, 3 outs occassionally and are drawing dead a fair amount off the time, makes this one easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes and even online vs a loose-passive, it's a fold.

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A passive player raises on a coordinated board. I really have a hard time calling here. From your read, he could have anything like J9s or QTs. I can't imagine being ahead here, and possibly drawing to very few outs. If he is weak/passive, can you seeing him raising here with something like JT, QJ, or KJ? I can't, and let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect!

Joe Tall
11-15-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not much info here to go on Joe. Barring any info, this is a simple call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really a simple laydown in such a small pot. Read Zoot's and colgin's responses in here.

brettbrettr
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I used to call down in this spot a lot. I still do when I'm not playing well. But then Joe told me to stop calling down with mediocre hands in small pots when I'm likely beat. When I'm playing well, I find a fold here pretty easily.