PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Wirleess

The Truth
11-15-2005, 02:54 AM
Me and my buddies (also 2+2ers) are going to take a semester off of school and travel the US and europe and asia etc.

Well, I was looking at the cingular EDGE wireless internet plans so I can still get in 30 hrs a week or so playing online.

Does anyone have any experience with these plans inside the US? Can I play in the car without consistently getting dropped haveing to lose my blinds or whatever pot im in?

Any idea how well it will perform throughout the rest of the globe? Any idea how fees will be outside of the us when playing poker? Should I sign up for their unlimited wifi plan?

Any help is appreciated.

blake

11-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I have this to play on my train during my commute.

Verizon (or Sprint) EVD0 is much better. In a moving car you WILL experience drops and lags. It appears to get worse as you multitable. But it's very doable.

11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any idea how well it will perform throughout the rest of the globe? Any idea how fees will be outside of the us when playing poker? Should I sign up for their unlimited wifi plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are going to get hammered on fees internationally regardless of the plan. The good news is that at least in Europe (I do not know about Asia) Wi-Fi hotspots are really growing so there is always that option. This thread by SmileyEH in another forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3910589&an=0&page=0#Post 3910589) has a lot of good info.

BoogerFace
11-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I did the Tmobile unlimited plan for awhile. The only thing that sucked was that it was hard a times to find a open seat at Starbucks.

Tmobile has GPRS plans that might be worthwhile. Speed would be similar to a modem - but a modem is fine for 4 tabling. Coverage maybe an issue.

Overseas you will be hosed.

I wouldn't do the trip if you had to play cards 4 hours a day to pay for it.

The Truth
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Think it would be better for me to just find Wi-fi hot spots in most places? I know in the US most of the cities i'll be in i'll be able to get wifi at the hotel or whatever.

Overseas is there a fee to use wifi points at shops and stuff?

blake

11-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Overseas is there a fee to use wifi points at shops and stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I travel a lot, especially throughout Europe. Tons of free spots. Checkout: www.wififreespot.com (http://www.wififreespot.com/europe.html) for a pretty good list.

The Truth
11-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Any idea what I need to do about a converter for my laptop?
For the power supply?

I dunno.

blake

11-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Make sure your power supply is rated for dual-voltage: 110/220, etc. (it should say on the cord if it is) Then, go to a luggage/travel store and buy a small kit with several different plug adapters ($5-$10).

BoogerFace
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
It depends. Some hotels are free, some are $10/day. Some places you'll get a signal in your room, others you have to go to the lobby.