PDA

View Full Version : Heads up - flop second pair

tewall
11-15-2005, 02:51 AM
We had just started playing heads-up.

My opponent seemed a bit timid for being short-handed, but not outrageously so. I rember him making a very loose call with just an Ace + draw to an all-in bet on the turn when we were 3 handed.

I had a slight lead, like 4000 to 3000.

blinds 50/100

With A6, don't remember the suits (no diamonds) I raise to 300.
He called

800 in pot
flop 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet 800
He called

turn 5s

I checked
He bet 1000
I went all-in
He called.

Comments?

tewall
11-15-2005, 04:29 AM
bump

11-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't like the 'I went all in' on the end. Why do people do that in that position? One of two things is going to happen (1) he has you beat and calls or (2) he can't beat 2nd pair and folds.

If you think you have him beat (I wouldn't here), then bet a little and get some value. With this hand, I'd 'hope' I was ahead, but I wouldn't lose much proving it...I'd call the $1K if he's been aggressive and move on to the next hand. If I'm right (and ahead), fine...I'm killing him...If not, then I'm not dead yet.

tewall
11-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I went all-in in case he was pushing a diamond draw. I would have only had 1k left anyway, so I'm in a raise/fold situation on the turn.

the shadow
11-15-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went all-in in case he was pushing a diamond draw. I would have only had 1k left anyway, so I'm in a raise/fold situation on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused here as well. If you put villian on a flush draw, why check the turn and risk giving him a free card to make his hand or earning the pot with a semi-bluff bet like he made?

FWIW, I would have bet a little less on the flop (say 500-600 rather than a pot-sized bet of 800).

The Shadow

GtrHtr
11-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Push PF.

kyro
11-15-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

A brilliant move with a 30BB effective stack.

GtrHtr
11-15-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

A brilliant move with a 30BB effective stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, missed the blinds. In that case, check/fold the flop, wait for a better spot.

tewall
11-15-2005, 07:22 PM
I was bothered by my thinking the whole way through. I started out raising pre-flop to 3xBB because I wanted to see how he would react, this being our first hand. On the flop I would normally bet 400 or 600 here, but upped it because of the 3 diamonds. I checked the turn because I was wanting to check it down. Then when he bet, I thought, "holy crap, I can't fold this, as I won't have any chips left". So I went all-in since folding would only be right if he were a huge favorite.

So let's say I bet 500 or 600 instead. Now there's 1600 or 1800 in the pot, and I have second pair. What's my plan for the hand? Am I willing to commit almost all my chips to second pair here? I don't see how I can get away from this. If I check, that's a sign of weakness, and I'm giving up when Villain may have nothing but a diamond. If I bet, then I'm pot committed.

So I guess my basic question is if second pair is worth committing to in this situation. If I had raised less pre flop, that would have made it easier for me to get away from my hand. Then betting around 60-75% doesn't commit me to second pair if my opponent shows strength. But then, maybe I don't mind playing second pair this strongly, as much of the time my opponent will be on a draw when he shows strength.

Well, sorry for the rambling. To summarize, what bothered me most is I didn't have a plan, and the reason I'm posting is I'm not sure what my plan should be here. My gut is to just go with the second pair and say, "If you can beat this, fine" but at 30xBB maybe I don't need to commit to second pair so soon.

tewall
11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Because of the texture of the flop? Hitting second pair is pretty good here HU. I've got to be ahead here something like 75% of the time at least. How can c/f be right in a situation where I'm probably a 3-1 favorite or so?