PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Basic hand

Drontier
11-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Its been a while since this has happened. I felt lost. Not enough hands on villain, but from what I've seen I think hes LAG and is not afraid to 3 bet the flop with very little here.

6 handed, 10/20

Hero has AhJh on the button

UTG raises, Hero 3 bets, UTG calls.

Flop [Qd, 3s, 9s] UTG bets, Hero calls.

Turn [6s] UTG bets, Hero calls.

River [7h] UTG bets, Hero calls.

My plan was to fold on the river if a K or T hit. I have no clue how to play this hand yet it is so simple.

Lmn55d
11-15-2005, 02:30 AM
I fold the turn when the spade draw hits. If it didn't I think I would probably see a river/showdown. Even if he doesn't have a flush he will have a redraw fairly often as well as pairing outs. Likewise straight draws have a lot of outs against you as well, especially with a club.

joseki
11-15-2005, 02:51 AM
I hate these situations too. I mean, doesn't he realize you put in the last preflop raise?

It's so easy to justify folding the turn, but it feels so weak. Even so, I suspect that guilty feeling is a subtle form of tilt and that folding somewhere is best.

You don't give us much of a read so we have to assume some level of reason in his play. So, reasonably, why would somebody bet out here? He's most likely to either want you to raise so he can 3-bet, or he thinks his hand is best but is worried about being beat by a free card. Either way, you're drawing and may be drawing very thin to the likes of AQ/KQ/QJ/QT/JJ.

Disclaimer: I recently hired a coach to watch a session of my play and he seemed to think one of my biggest leaks was not getting A-high to showdown often enough.

11-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Your options are to fold the flop or call/call/call. If this is his first offense I tend towards lean to the former. In fact, I believe the times that I call aggressive opponents down here without a clear reason are subtle tilt, due to frustration.

Lmn55d
11-15-2005, 03:41 AM
why are those the only two options?

11-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Raising sucks. You'll either fold a pure-bluff that you'd rather string along in this small pot or put more money in and take control of the hand when you're behind (sometimes nearly dead).

Calling the flop without the intention to showdown sucks. You're getting 8:1 to peel. You do not, however, have even two overs, and your outs are worth very little as a draw here.

Folding also sucks. It may encourage him to try a donk bluff at some point. However, with the Q out there folding sucks less than calling.

I don't believe the extra spade should stop you from continuing a showdown, since he will have a spade less than half the time and when he does he will only complete the flush 18% of the time on the river (something like 7% overall). If you think he could be donking a FD you shouldn't be considering a calldown in the first place.

Typically I believe that this donk represents some kind of hand. What kind of hand is hard to say, but I doubt it's a total airball. I also may not have many outs to suck out. So unless I have a read that I feel very strongly about I don't like trying to see a showdown on this board. That sucks too.

All of your options here are really marginal.

Victor
11-15-2005, 04:08 AM
i think its a pretty easy turn fold.

bugstud
11-15-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TheMetetron
11-15-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirded.

Catt
11-15-2005, 05:13 AM
I agree that all choices are pretty marginal here, however:

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop without the intention to showdown sucks. You're getting 8:1 to peel. You do not, however, have even two overs, and your outs are worth very little as a draw here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a decent number of players in this game that will donk the flop with a draw (FD or OESD) but check the turn after the flop bet is called and the draw doesn't hit on the turn. Against these guys peeling is fine, and folding to a river bet after the turn is checked through (or they call your turn bet) is appropriate, too.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe the extra spade should stop you from continuing a showdown, since he will have a spade less than half the time and when he does he will only complete the flush 18% of the time on the river (something like 7% overall).

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as above. Some guys will donk a FD HU (or an OESD) and check when it misses on the turn. Calling and folding to the spade turn against these sorts of guys is fine, as the donk itself followed by a turn bet changes the mathematical likelihood of the guy actually having a turned flush.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think he could be donking a FD you shouldn't be considering a calldown in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to elaborate / explain this a but further for me to understand it.

[ QUOTE ]
All of your options here are really marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Quoted for emphasis. I hate these effing hands.

11-15-2005, 05:26 AM
You're about break-even on pot equity with a FD or OESD unless you have them dominated (in which case you're a little bit ahead). If you believed that your opponent could only either be bluffing or on a FD then calling would be fine, so I kind of mistated. What I should have said is if it could be a mix of pairs, draws and bluffs then the fact that he could be drawing shouldn't really encourage you to call down.

With so few outs to pass if you're behind I think you'd need your opponent to be a total hoser in order for you to want to call down here. This isn't my strongest area, however, and I could be wrong. If one of the high-stakes guys wants to chime in that'd be cool.

Catt
11-15-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're about break-even on pot equity with a FD or OESD unless you have them dominated (in which case you're a little bit ahead). If you believed that your opponent could only either be bluffing or on a FD then calling would be fine, so I kind of mistated. What I should have said is if it could be a mix of pairs, draws and bluffs then the fact that he could be drawing shouldn't really encourage you to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This rings truer. But these hands are especially ugly when the guy is an aggressive donker who will donk weak draws, bluffs, and mid- or bottom-pairs. Guys who will donk 98, T8, K3 etc. in addition to a Q, a FD or an OESD are royal pains in the ass.

Drontier
11-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Normally, I think I fold this when the spade comes off the turn, but I got a phone call at the same time and was not thinking clearly. I just thought he still had a lot of gutshot straight draw combos I was still beating. If a T or 9 hit on the turn or river I was going to fold. I was raising a J or A tho. I rarely see people donk top pairs, especially very aggro opponents(unless they are smart and not just aggro happy). He had 2x2s. And I stared and realized I just got owned.