PDA

View Full Version : "This is a relay call." What the [censored]'s a relay call?

mmbt0ne
11-15-2005, 01:39 AM
I just got a phone call, where apparently some douchebag is typing on his computer, and this putz talks to me and tells me what he types. Then, I reply, and he types to douchebag whatever I say. Now, I've never heard of this before, so I'm intrigued enough to go through the whole instructions, and see what's going on.

Anyway, the conversation doesn't last long, because the response to my "Who are you?" question was "Your father-in-law," which is obviously a lie. Somehow he knew my name though, which is kind of, ok, really, scary/weird.

Is this some sort of new phishing scam? I'm disappointed in myself for not keeping this conversation going longer, and seeing what I could find out, but obviously I wasn't thinking. Either way, the fact that someone has both my name and cell phone number, and feels the need to call me through some relay line, and tell me they're my non-existent father-in-law is kind of freaking me out.

scotty34
11-15-2005, 01:42 AM
I have no idea with this particular call, but a legitimate reason for such a call could be for a person who is unable to speak.

Dudd
11-15-2005, 01:43 AM
It's for disabled people, but I remember seeing on another forum people using it to prank call. Apparently the operators had to do whatever they were told, so they would get them to say all sorts of weird/semi obscene stuff, then post the mp3.

BWebb
11-15-2005, 01:44 AM
They do this on Howard Stern sometimes. They either have someone you can't understand do it or they have someone saying something perverted.

mmbt0ne
11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They do this on Howard Stern sometimes. They either have someone you can't understand do it or they have someone saying something perverted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see this. But my first name and phone number? No one who should have this would claim to be my father-in-law, as they would all know I am certainly not married.

BWebb
11-15-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see this. But my first name and phone number? No one who should have this would claim to be my father-in-law, as they would all know I am certainly not married.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess it's one of your friends jerking you around. Who knows. Or maybe its a guy trying to get you to strip down naked and give someone oral because they thought you stole a purse.

TimM
11-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Try doing software tech support on one of these. I had a deaf customer who would always call me this way. It was nuts because the woman doing the relay couldn't even understand what either one of us was talking about. Finally I had to practically beg the guy to use e-mail instead.

hoyaboy1
11-15-2005, 02:10 AM
ip-relay.com, great for awkward prank calls

kurosh
11-15-2005, 05:54 AM
I used to have a ton of fun with this. I have them make sounds. "MOO MOO BARK RING RING" or "This is me, the operator, talking. I am gay. I love cock."

jgorham
11-15-2005, 05:57 AM
Sprint Relay Online (http://www.sprintrelayonline.com)

They will say anything you type, but if it is of a violent nature they are required to inform the police /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-15-2005, 06:23 AM
I had someone call my cell phone using this service once. He got the operator to recite to me the lyrics of "Ice Ice Baby."

w_alloy
11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
How can they do this all for free? Is the government paying for this under the pretense it is helping diabled people?

tek
11-15-2005, 08:10 AM
I have a short funny (hopefully) story about relay calls.

Many years ago I was at a dominos and a relay call came in. I was getting frustrated at the difficulty and time it was taking. At one point I said out loud something like 'This sucks. I wish he would buy pizzas somewhere else". The operator said she'd let that go, but after that she'd have to relay everything I said. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jedi
11-15-2005, 08:55 PM
It's a service for Deaf people. People who abuse it are douches.

lapoker17
11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
In addition to being used by the disabled and those who are making prank calls, relays are often used in fraud. Not sure of the exact angle, but the same guys with the Nigerian email scams use the relay system - that may explain the father-in-law info.

tonypaladino
11-15-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who abuse it are douches.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex-girlfriend and her deaf friend used to [censored] around with it all the time. She would call me and make the operator say "I wanna [censored] you so bad" and [censored] like that. It disgusted me. She is a douche.

Hiding
11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a service for Deaf people. People who abuse it are douches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

And who pays for it? everyone with a phone, its listed on my bill at least <$1.00

wmspringer
11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea with this particular call, but a legitimate reason for such a call could be for a person who is unable to speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or unable to hear, which is why I use it - I don't really care for it because people don't like it, but I can't hear well enough to use regular phones.

Unfortunately you do get some idiots who abuse it, and other idiots who think people with disabilities are somehow subhuman. (We seem to have some of both in this thread)

eviljeff
11-16-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its listed on my bill at least <$1.00

[/ QUOTE ]

this provides us with no information at all