PDA

View Full Version : Is this turn a tough decision?

Lash
11-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Villain is 29/17/1. (137 hands) and is not getting out of line from what I can see.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero ?

If you check… you fold the river if led into (unimproved)?
If you bet and are check raised it’s an easy fold right?

Entity
11-15-2005, 01:01 AM
If he hasn't been getting out of line and doesn't bluff a lot, I bet the turn and check the river.

Lash
11-15-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he hasn't been getting out of line and doesn't bluff a lot, I bet the turn and check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with him before and seen him get out of line(capable of making a move on the turn here, small pot and all)... playing when this hand came up though... I thought he was playing well and had check folded the turn once already in a similar situation earlier.

It felt as if betting here was begging for a check raise that I couldn't call. Still bet anyway? I could check and call unimproved regardless for the same price couldn't I? and I realize the free river is bad, but still is it that bad?

DMBFan23
11-15-2005, 01:19 AM
I would say that all other things being equal, the more likely villain is to be making a move with a hand you beat the more likely you want to check behind and see a showdown. against a more predictable villian, charging him the extra bet now is better IMO.

This way not only will you get value, you'll discourage river bluffs - good against a predictable opponent because they already bluff too little. also you will discourage light flop calls if they notice you are always betting the turn. granted most opponents won't notice but some weak tights will.

11-15-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure if I'm doing these right. If it's a player who habitually peels the flop and folds the turn I usually pound them again. If it's a player that will either always bluff the river or never bluff the river then I check behind and act accordingly.

If I can get some feedback on my approach in addition to the OP, that'd be appreciated.

Sinnister
11-15-2005, 01:56 AM
If your looking at unimproved high cards ur probably lookin at a possible flush draw, more likely ak with 1 heart among them goin for the redraw which missed the turn, best move is a bet/fold here imho, or check call if u improve. Depending on the read of oppt, if this is someone who goes all the way with ak u might just wanna try and catch by checking. Good enough player to muck bet/fold.