PDA

View Full Version : Random Quotes For All.

Zeno
06-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Saw a series of quotes in a magazine I was reading and think a few worth inflicting on the forum. Hope you all enjoy them.

But in later times most events began to be kept secret and were denied to common knowledge, and even though it may happen that some matters are made public, the reports are discredited because they cannot be investigated, and the suspicion grows that everything is said and done according to the wishes of the men in power at the time and their associates. In consequence much that never materializes becomes common talk, while much that has undoubtedly come to pass remains unknown, and in pretty well every instance the report which is spread abroad does not correspond to what actually happened. –Dio Cassius, Roman History c 200 A.D.

When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion. The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic, and the relative into an absolute. – Walter Lippmann, The Public Philosophy, 1955

I do not like to get the news, because there has never been an era when so many things were going so right for so many of the wrong people.

–Ogden Nash, “Everybody Tells Me Everything”, 1940

andyfox
06-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Great quotes, thanks.

Lippmann wrote a series of articles in response to George Kennan at the beginning of the Cold War that accurately predicted all the follies Kennan's policy recommendations would lead to. We had Walter Lippmann and Edward R. Murrow then, now we've got Sean Hannity and Larry King. What has the world come to?

Anyway, here's my favorite poker advice quote, reposted in its entirety from the Mid-, High-Stakes Forum:

i really don't know here. i think maybe check the turn, but i suppose you felt that a bet was in order. i wasn't there. i can't tell you.