PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive failure and no back up.

trainslayer
11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Or at least not enuf back up.

Computer wouldn’t boot. Would go thru POST and then a black screen w/flashing cursor. I am able to access bios. Ran Spinrite level 2 (about 25 min/40g drive) and found no errors. Took drive out of original computer and slaved in 2nd computer. When I try to access drive, computer says not accessible, corrupted (or close to that.)

Put drive back in original computer and ran Spinrite level 4. Started about 7pm. Spinrite indicated it would take about 10 hours. When I got up the next morning there had been a power failure at my house and computer and monitor both off. Don’t know if spinrite finished or not. Now drive makes a clicking noise for about 20 seconds when I try to boot and boot sequence seems to go a little farther. But computer does not recognize that there is a hard drive installed. I tried to restore from XP cd but no drive found.

I did talk to a recovery business and they indicated it could cost between $350 and $3000 to recover my data. I would like to recover but am not willing to spend that much.

Any advice before I take a ball peen hammer to the drive to ease my frustration. (I’ve already exhausted myself kicking myself in the ass.) /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am the proud new owner of a new computer tho. And a new external hd for backup. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Without spending the $ for the recovery, it sounds like your stuck. Recovery might not get all your data either. If the read/write heads hit the physical disk several sectors will be toast.

Sorry. Been there myself.

trainslayer
11-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm spending my time on more important things now.

This was mainly a PSA. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Save. And save often. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

My mom's gettin some sick satisfaction outta the deal tho. I'm always harpin at her to back up. Every time I go to her house I ask, "When the last time you backed up?"

Her response is always, "Last time you were here."

BluffTHIS!
11-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Now be smart for the future and buy an external hardrive. The Maxtor brand is a good one and comes with "one touch" software for quickly initiating backups.

trainslayer
11-16-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now be smart for the future and buy an external hardrive. The Maxtor brand is a good one and comes with "one touch" software for quickly initiating backups.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am the proud new owner of a new computer tho. And a new external hd for backup.

[/ QUOTE ]