PDA

View Full Version : $22: AK checkup. Anything to do differently?

11-14-2005, 09:47 PM
After ~600 sngs I have negative T$ won with AKo/AKs in the first two blind levels. Maybe too small sample size, but is there anything I can do differently when I don't hit?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB (t855)
Hero (t775)
UTG (t665)
UTG+1 (t685)
MP1 (t735)
MP2 (t730)
MP3 (t720)
CO (t1940)
Button (t895)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button calls t120, SB folds.

Flop: (t330) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, Button raises [t745] , Hero folds.

Final Pot: t480

I almost always make a continuation bet on the flop if there's only one opponent. Exceptions are the flops like 9TJ all the same suit.

Usually have some reads by now, but sadly not this time.

Thanks for the replies,

Begbie

bluefeet
11-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I would think this certainly falls within the range of "standard". Though...

...depending on how the planets are aligned, I do like to "sleep" on this baby from time to time (AT LOW LEVEL BLINDS).

~ your raise was healthy enough, but often button will see the flop here regardless
~ you've built a pot size, making it expensive to proceed on a whiff
~ you are OOP
~ when you do "hit", it's not too often you get paid (if we reason button would be open-RAISING most any Ace)

Checking PF, is another way to go.

If you flop a K/Ace, you have a very sweet c/r opportunity, as Button will most always be "representing" against just the blinds.

If you flop the nut-FD, you can explore other opportunities to get to the turn efficiently.

Just something to think about...

citanul
11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
bet 175 on the flop.

11-15-2005, 08:59 AM
This DID gave me something to think about.

I'm assuming that playing this slow works only from BB?
.. or maybe when behind tons of loose limpers.

Gonna try out this. Checking with AKs and raising with offs, just to mix it up little.

11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
At the early blind levels I like to just check this hand in the BB also. I play very tight on the first couple of blind levels though, so I'll just limp it in EP and only raise in MP/LP when I'm happy I will buy the button and can play it with position.

11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Bet a little more on the flop. I would not check a hand this strong in the bb. OOP sucks, but you have to make it expensive for SC's and small pairs to see the flop.