PDA

View Full Version : Call the river with QQ?

punkass
11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
10/20 at the Taj

Full table, don't have real solid reads on people as it was early in my session, except for the few hands UTG+1 has shown, it's all solid. No one has acted stupidly, at least not obviously.

UTG+1 calls, 2 limpers call, I raise with QQ in late position, CO cold calls, the BB and UTG+1 calls.

Flop is Kxx, two clubs. I have Qc.
Checked to me, I bet, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn is rag.
Check, I bet, CO raises all in, UTG+1 calls, I call. There is $30 in side pot.

River is a low club.
UTG+1 bets.

I think hard on river about what a mess I got into...

hobbsmann
11-14-2005, 06:34 PM
...fold. UTG+1 cold called slightly less than two on the turn so at the very least he has a king and you are still losing.

silkyslim
11-14-2005, 06:39 PM
why did you call the turn. i would like to hear some reasoning behind this play. not sure if its right or wrong.

punkass
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Turn call is also debatable. I had figured that if I was up against a K, I would have found out on the flop. Since I didn't get raised, I thought I was good.

I put the all in guy on a draw - and I didn't put much merit on his all in raise. I thought he didn't want to just have 5 bucks left after a bet, so why not raise all in.

hobbsmann
11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why did you call the turn. i would like to hear some reasoning behind this play. not sure if its right or wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
UTG1 has a flush draw a lot and CO might be desperate going all in with a hand that QQ beats.

punkass
11-14-2005, 06:48 PM
After thinking hard, I fold on the river. UTG+1 shows TT, CO shows 88. UTG takes down the pot.

With the combination of the K, the clubs, and a very small side pot, I didn't think UTG+1 would bet a weak hand. But I think I borrowed that thinking from tournament strategy. But doesn't it still apply here?

Man, was I pissed.

11-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Im not saying that calling the turn was the right move;however, if youve concluded that your Queens are ahead by calling the raise on the turn (the 'desperation all-in bet was the right read), I think you should make the call on the river. The pot has over 200 and is laying 10:1. Even if UTG has a flush 8 out of ten times, this call will still be profitable in the long run;therefore, there is not much use folding on the last bet after playing them this far.

11-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I'd bite my lip and muck 'em.

shark6
11-14-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bite my lip and muck 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

While doing that I'd think if he's dumb enough to try this bluff, I'll eventually get a good chunck of his money anyway.

ghostwriter
11-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Aren't you getting like 19-1 on a call here? Surely this is a bluff or a pp you're ahead of enought of the time to make this a profitable call.

11-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Easy Call on river. Pot is too big to fold to one bet unless you have an excellent read on Villian. I am surprised that so many people say fold here. I am not putting a solid player on a King because it is a weak move just calling with top pair esp. with 2 clubs out there.

Turn play is more debatable... I raise here instead.

punkass
11-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I probably should have raised the turn.

I really didn't think that UTG+1 would bet a bad hand on the river because of the all in guy. Why bluff for a small side pot? Unless he read the all in guy as having nothing...