PDA

View Full Version : no will

04-04-2002, 06:57 PM
My father passed away last week and did not leave a will.

The deed to the house is under his and my mother's names. The only other asset he had was a joint savings/checking account with my mother.

We're planning on going to the bank with the death certificate to change the name on the accounts to just my mother's name.

Do we have to change the deed to reflect that my father died? Do we need to utilize a lawyer or can we go to the county court house?

Do we have to report this to any governmental agencies?

04-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Talk to a lawyer in your state. I am a lawyer and I was shocked to learn about a couple things regarding intestate (no will) succession in my state from my better-informed wife. My wife and I are now preparing wills and a couple of other things because of the problems created by not having a will. Talk to a lawyer in your state who specializes in this kind of work. Laws vary a bit state to state, and only a lawyer licensed in your state can give you legal advice. It may not be as simple as changing names on deeds, etc... I am sorry to predict.

Sorry for your loss.

P.S. It may not be very expensive to talk to a lawyer about this and have him handle it. Don't be scared away by fears of cost. Sometimes it's like the old oil filter commercial, pay us a little now or a lot later.