PDA

View Full Version : What's grunching?

BoogerFace
11-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I didn't see this term in the FAQ.

11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Here's the link my friend:

Grunchcan Challenge (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=2089249&fpart =1&PHPSESSID=)

Basically, it is thinking through a hand and posting before you read the other replies.

11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Grunchcan Challenge (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=2089249&fpart =1&PHPSESSID=)

Basically, it is thinking through a hand and posting before you read the other replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know what that meant either. Isn't this what everyone does?

What is the point of typing this anyway? Does anyone care that you didn't read the replies???

BoogerFace
11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Very cool. Thanks!

11-14-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of typing this anyway? Does anyone care that you didn't read the replies???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a lot of people do this - but by saying *grunch* and posting before you read the other replies you are telling everyone that this is what you think and that you have been unbiased by others. I do this so that someone with more experience might look at my replies differently and offer some critique if I'm off base so that not only does the OP get something out of thread but I (and hopefully others) do too.

If you combine grunching and the Wookie Challenge (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=micro&Number=3464230&fpar t=&PHPSESSID=) you will find your game improving through the more in depth knowledge you gain. You may get flamed more (I know I do), but that is how you learn.

aargh57
11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I think the point is that this way if someone says the same thing that another poster previously did you know why. You should try to come up with the answer on your own and sometimes you will come up with the same thing as someone else. If you write down what you first think then you can get feedback about your answer. Some people decide what they'd do and then look at the posts to see if it's been said. In doing so, you will sometimes change your answer. If you grunch, you can get feedback from your initial thoughts. At least that's why I do it.

numeri
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times. It is really helpful, though, because it forces you to think through the problem yourself.

My favorite is when people who obviously don't know what it means will post:

[ QUOTE ]

*grunch*

Like everyone else, I think you should fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Genius. Pure genius. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

aargh57
11-14-2005, 04:53 PM
My favorite is when people who obviously don't know what it means will post:

[ QUOTE ]

*grunch*

Like everyone else, I think you should fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Genius. Pure genius. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't go quoting my posts without giving me credit. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

11-14-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't look like an ass. The OP would realize that 7 people have said the same thing, and would probably assume they are correct.

If you see someone already posted the "correct" play, and you just leave it, how is OP supposed to know that that is correct info? Aside from you just quoting some previous poster, which IMO really makes you look like an ass.

People rarely say the same thing anyway man. Everyone has nuances in their points that may pique the OP's interest.

11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to quote you twice but I have another counterpoint.

If saying something that has already been said makes you look like an ass, then how does typing "Grunching" help? You are still re-stating, as well as adding a silly word along with it...

11-14-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, it helps you get away from that nasty group effect where people will just agree each other.

You give your opinion unaffected by other opinions which can be good for the group by giving another perspective. You'll know if you're sorely mistaken by responses to your post.

I should do this more often myself.

numeri
11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If saying something that has already been said makes you look like an ass, then how does typing "Grunching" help? You are still re-stating, as well as adding a silly word along with it...

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously dude, relax. If you don't want to do it, don't. It can be helpful for people to put their own opinions down unaffected by the thoughts of others.

You have a tendency to be overly argumentative. Relax.

11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously dude, relax. If you don't want to do it, don't. It can be helpful for people to put their own opinions down unaffected by the thoughts of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calm. Try to not use strong phrases like, "makes you look like an ass." next time. Using strong words and language tends to get under peoples skin.

numeri
11-15-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm calm. Try to not use strong phrases like, "makes you look like an ass." next time. Using strong words and language tends to get under peoples skin.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah.... read my original post. Obviously I'm not referring to you specifically, since you hadn't posted the same thing 15 times.

Again - relax.

KingOtter
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean strong phrases like, 'as well as adding a silly word along with it...'

One thing I've observed in forums (especially these) is that people don't really tend to observe any kind of political correctness, try to be polite, etc.,etc... I kind of like it that way because I despise political correctness.

Anyway... it all goes back to the whole 'arguing on the internet' thing.

KO

jaxUp
11-15-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean strong phrases like, 'as well as adding a silly word along with it...'

One thing I've observed in forums (especially these) is that people don't really tend to observe any kind of political correctness, try to be polite, etc.,etc... I kind of like it that way because I despise political correctness.

Anyway... it all goes back to the whole 'arguing on the internet' thing.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend you quit being such a faggot.

Seriously though, where did you go? I haven't seen you around for a while. I thought you were making good progress and then you just disappeared. Oh well, hope the break's been good.

11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I kind of like it that way because I despise political correctness.
KO

[/ QUOTE ]

Here here!

[ QUOTE ]

I recommend you quit being such a faggot.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Maybe we need another "grunching" type word which reads "the following is intended to cause serious offence."