PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose and treat my shoulder

11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I am too lazy to go to the doctor. So I turn to you, the physicians of OOT, to help me.

On August 15, while playing softball, I fell flat on my shoulder while running full speed. Tripped over the bag (don't ask). Right away my shoulder hurt. I could lift my arm over my head with a great deal of pain. I could throw but with a great deal of pain.

While the pain has subsided, it's 3 months later and my shoulder still hurts. It doesn't hurt all of the time. It doesn't hurt when I play golf. But it hurts when I try to lift something heavy, especially above my head (like a kid). Or when I extend my arm behind me. When I touch the point of my shoulder, it hurts.

So, what's your diagnosis and how do I treat it.

11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Where on your shoulder does it hurt? Front, side, back, armpit?

11-14-2005, 04:00 PM
top, by the point

swede123
11-14-2005, 04:02 PM
You better nip this thing in the bud before the pain starts to spread. My treatment method:

http://www.deathonline.net/images/what_happens/saw.jpg

Swede

11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
alternate between ice and heat, probably won't work though because it has been 3 months

slickpoppa
11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Just go to a damn doctor. Something hurting 3 months later is not normal.

11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you did some soft tissue damage around the collar bone. If its still bothering you after 3 months, its a fair bet that it aint getting better on its own. Go see a doctor. He will likely hit you up with a shot of cortisone to relax the surrounding muscles and see if taking some of the strain off it will allow it to heal. If that doesnt help, your next step is the orthopedic surgeon.

xadrez
11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Bursitis?

Tilt
11-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Bruised or torn rotator cuff.

You need to see someone about that. If its bruised you need to immobilize it. If its torn you need togo under the knife. Either way you need physical therapy.

11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You need to see someone about that. If its bruised you need to immobilize it. If its torn you need togo under the knife. Either way you need physical therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt rotator cuff problems affect more the back around by the shoulder blade? I know its a big area but the OP said the tip of his shoulder.

Tilt
11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt rotator cuff problems affect more the back around by the shoulder blade? I know its a big area but the OP said the tip of his shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, rotator cuff is near the top, depending on what he means by "point". Its in the area at the top toward the very curve of the shoulder. He could have broken his collar bone (if by "point" he means the pointy thing), but that doesn't sound right given the symptoms.

But what the hell do I know. I'm ont a doctor, but I did take down some really big pots last night.

11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
When I tore my rotator cuff, all the pain was in the back by my shoulder blade. But the main muscle, the infrasplanatis (sp) runs from the shoulder blade to the collar bone.

Botton line though - 3 months w/ pain = time to get a professional, not a bunch of poker players.

Warik
11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
It sounds terminal. I'm sorry.

--------

j/k. Seriously. See a doctor. I had a pain in my back after lifting weights for almost a month and didn't want to see the doc. Finally did and a handful of pills later I'm getting better.

It's magic.