PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about reggae?

DrunkHamster
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I've been getting a bit bored with my usual rock/metal/hardcore stuff. So recently I've been listening to a bit of reggae and loving what I hear. The only problem is that no one I know has a clue about it, so can anyone recommend any good records to get?

BTW I have/know of Bob Marley (of course!)
Burning Spear
Black Uhuru
Max Romeo
Lee Perry, and that's about it.

PoBoy321
11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Peter Tosh came out with some good solo stuff after he left the Wailers, and before he got killed by a couple of homeless people he let live with him.

James Boston
11-14-2005, 03:16 PM
All you ever need to know can be found here:

link (http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=s3wy78154vqd17f54e2mcb3&z=MP3&r=20.as x)

howzit
11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been getting a bit bored with my usual rock/metal/hardcore stuff. So recently I've been listening to a bit of reggae and loving what I hear. The only problem is that no one I know has a clue about it, so can anyone recommend any good records to get?

BTW I have/know of Bob Marley (of course!)
Burning Spear
Black Uhuru
Max Romeo
Lee Perry, and that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a lot of dub and some roots in there.

some "classics"

Tosh - Legalize It, Equal Rights
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Bob - the entire discography
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse
Jacob Miller/Inner circle - he was a legend before his death

some stuff i like:

Don Carlos
Capleton
Sizzla
The Heptones
Dennis Brown
Steel Pulse

sounds like you like Dub type stuff so check out Pablo Moses, Sly and Robbie, Augusta Pablo.

some abridged cultural sidenotes to reggae: reggae was the offshoot of ska back in the 50s and sixties; even Bob Marley started off as a ska artist. Then Rastafarianism was started in Jamaica and reggae and Rastafarianism kind of developed together. Then eventually went to dancehall which is what reggae is mostly known for today.

skank on!

xadrez
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
-Toots and the Maytals
-Horace Andy
-Cedric IM Brooks
-Ken Booth
-Steel Pulse (just get the greatest hits)
-Aswad
-Get all the Lee Scratch Perry compliations
-Buy any compilation from the "Soul Jazz" record label
-Jah Lion, I think they only have 1 album but get it its called "Colombian Colly"

matt hooley
11-14-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Tosh came out with some good solo stuff after he left the Wailers, and before he got killed by a couple of homeless people he let live with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more accurate, he was killed by fellow Rastas for violating some core tenants of their culture. To a certain extent there is some resentment towards the Reggae musicians within the Rasta community because they often somewhat contradict their roots and what the movement is about.
I just so happen to know this because one of my classes is covering the Rastafari which are the group responsible for the creation of Reggae music.

mason55
11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Listen to some of the dancehall stuff in the 1Xtra archive on the BBC Radio website.

canis582
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
This will help you translate:
http://niceup.com/patois.txt

ChipWrecked
11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
I used to like Eekamouse and Yellowman, that was years ago. Don't know if they're even still around.

Reggae trivia for ya:

Ras Tafari was Haile Selassie's birth name.

matt hooley
11-14-2005, 04:07 PM
aha, and what does the name Haile Selassie mean? what country was he king of? what is his significance to the beliefs of the Rasta?

sorry if you don't like the test

xadrez
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
From what I know, Haile Selassie was the king of Ethiopia and for years he ignored the Rastafarians as crazy. I do know that when you hear Haile Selassie "eye" in a reggae song they misread the "I" after his name as being just the letter "I" instead of its real meaning ("the first").

BTW, we get it, you are taking a class on Reggae and feel the need to flex your newfound expertise.

silkyslim
11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
listen to rocksteady, and Toots Hibbert.

ChipWrecked
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I know, Haile Selassie was the king of Ethiopia and for years he ignored the Rastafarians as crazy. I do know that when you hear Haile Selassie "eye" in a reggae song they misread the "I" after his name as being just the letter "I" instead of its real meaning ("the first").

BTW, we get it, you are taking a class on Reggae and feel the need to flex your newfound expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rastas refuse to admit he is dead, so by default he is the Rasta Christ.

"Ever living, ever faithful, conquering lion of the tribe of Judah, Salassie aye da first.... Jah!..."

Georgia Avenue
11-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Great internet radio for the dub too: Scratch Radio (http://www.azevedo.ca/scratch/)

mlh2e
11-14-2005, 05:38 PM
All I ever needed I found here...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002JQ0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

maryfield48
11-14-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more accurate, he was killed by fellow Rastas for violating some core tenants of their culture. To a certain extent there is some resentment towards the Reggae musicians within the Rasta community because they often somewhat contradict their roots and what the movement is about.
I just so happen to know this because one of my classes is covering the Rastafari which are the group responsible for the creation of Reggae music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the source of that information about Tosh's death. The generally accepted version in Jamaica is that the guy, Dennis Lobban, was a friend/associate of Tosh's who did time for Tosh by taking responsibility for an illegal gun that Tosh had (they were both in the back of a car that was stopped in a police roadblock, Tosh handed the gun to Lobban with vague promises to "take care of him"). After he got out of jail there was a dispute over the level of compensation, that escalated into the shooting.

Lobban was convicted of Tosh's murder.

And to the OP, try Dennis Brown. He was at one time heralded as Bob's heir apparent. He wasn't quite able to live up to that, IMO his songwriting was just not strong enough, but he made some good records.

daveymck
11-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Somthing to combine the two metal and reggae is Skindred (http://www.skindred.com/) who are supposedly starting to break in the states, the singers previous band Dub War are worth checking out as well for somthing a bit different.

SOme videos here (http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/skindred/artist.jhtml)

Reef
11-14-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eekamouse

[/ QUOTE ]

kymani marley

matt hooley
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well I was really just trying to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, but I can see how you could get that.

re: Tosh's death. I'm not sure on the specifics but that's what I had read. It just troubled me that someone meant to imply his killer was some kind of homeless freeloading bum (maybe our ethnocentric interpretation) when it was really a brother rasta.

re: Salassie. Most rastas do consider him divinity, like the second coming of christ, and this was certainly the traditional view. In the pronouncement of "Haile Salasie I" they are implying a connection and association with the divinity of Salassie and themselves. Indeed many famous Rasta leaders have proclaimed themselves to be Haile Salassie, it had to do with part/whole relationshions.

diebitter
11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Two words:

"Musical Youth"

daveymck
11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words:

"Musical Youth"

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one of their singles /images/graemlins/blush.gif I was very young though.

maryfield48
11-14-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It just troubled me that someone meant to imply his killer was some kind of homeless freeloading bum (maybe our ethnocentric interpretation) when it was really a brother rasta.

[/ QUOTE ]

"homeless freeloading bum" and "brother rasta" are not mutually exclusive concepts.

HtotheNootch
11-14-2005, 07:24 PM
For a good starter album. Try the soundtrack to "The Harder they Come".

maryfield48
11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a good starter album. Try the soundtrack to "The Harder they Come".

[/ QUOTE ]

Good pick.

rustyboy
11-14-2005, 10:52 PM
The Skatalites are a huge influence on the beginning of reggae. Check them out too.

PapaSan
11-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Tenor Saw
Nitty Gritty
Luciano
Sizzla
Johnny Osbourne
Ken Boothe
Mykal rose
Studio One compilations
Papasan
Garnet silk
yami bolo
the viceroys
junior reid

i could go on forever....

Uston
11-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Not sure why everyone is just naming bands. Just about every reggae artist has put out some real crap at one point.

Two of the best reggae CD's ever (Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear and Wild Suspense by The Wailing Souls) have their dub versions included. It's like getting two CD's for the price of one, plus you might love dub.

Heart Of The Congos by The Congos
Satta Massaganna by The Abyssinans
Right Time by The Mighty Diamonds
Money In My Pocket is a great Dennis Brown compilation.
Gold is a great Gregory Isaacs compilation.

If you want something really great and obscure, try Black Star Liner by Fred Locks and Pick Up The Pieces by The Royals.

M2d
11-20-2005, 01:01 AM
do you like R&B/soul music at all? if so, check out Beres Hammond. IMO, he has the smoothest soul voice out there currently.