PDA

View Full Version : Would you go All-in the first hand with these hands?

Smaegol
06-24-2003, 02:18 PM
In a single table Tourney, would you go all-in with either QQ or AKs? I do, because it seems more people will call an all-in on the first hand as opposed to say, a $500 raise. Its a psycological thing, All-in seems like a personal attack to them. Also, I think you have more of an edge because people are much more reluctant to gamble on the fist hand, so most times, youll take it down anyways. I've won 4-5 times doing this and doubled my stack 3 times. I have been called by 99, KJo, A3o, and wasnt called the other 2 times. I lost to the A3o when he caught an A on the river. Is this mathmatically a good play?

ohkanada
06-24-2003, 03:03 PM
The fact you can get callers with worse hands implies it can work to your advantage. How do you get QQ/AK in the 1st hand so often?

I won't be doing it but it doesn't mean you shouldn't continue doing it. But if we are at the same table if i call you I suspect you will lose the pot /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken Poklitar

DJA
06-24-2003, 03:21 PM
If we can use your small sample, then yes, this is a great play... but it could be a statistical anomaly. I really can't imagine anyone consistently calling with A3o in these situations... but I have seen some weird stuff. I would also welcome a call from A3o... if he gets lucky well then I can start a new tournament right away. If he doesn't I am now chip leader. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I have seen some weird plays though.
Last NLHE pokerstars tournament I was in... blinds 15-30 and there are like 6 limpers to me in the BB. I look down at AKs and go-all in. UTG instantly calls me, and I think I am dead. Nope he has A6o, and I double through within the first 5 hands. He said he pressed the wrong button, and I have to believe him... Too bad I made a really poor decision with QQ later in the tournament.

Justaloser
06-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Mathematically, QQ vs KJos is almost a 3:1 (7:3 if K is same suit as one of the Q's)favorite, vs 99 a 4:1 favorite, and vs A3o a 7:3 favorite. AK vs KJos is a 3:1 favorite, vs A3os a 3:1 favorite, and vs 99 47:52 dog (DOH!). So mathematically, it is usually a good play.

But what happens if someone has AA, KK or AK? You're a 4:1 dog to either pair, and a very slight favorite vs big slick if you have QQ and a huge underdog (8:1) if you have AK and he has AA, 2:1 if he has KK, and most likely a push if he has AK as well.

Personally, I wouldn't go in preflop with either. But I'd make a nice sized raise 3-10xBB and if I like the flop, I'm pushing my chips to the middle. But if it works for you, great. What's your screenname and site you play? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

It's also interesting that you say that people are reluctant to gamble on the first hand, but then you state that you've been called 60% of the time.