PDA

View Full Version : Remote Car Starter

bosoxfan
11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for my wife's car with winter coming up. Is this easy to install yourself or should I take it somewhere to get it done? Anyone have one and like it or not?

Slow Play Ray
11-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Depends on the car, but I would say unless you are normally mechanically inclined (read: can/have installed your own car stereo and replaced something like your thermostat on your own), have a professional do it. And even if you are mechanically inclined, it still may not be worth the hassle. Some cars are a bitch to wire...it's typically the ones that have the chip thingy in the keys to prevent theft.

astroglide
11-14-2005, 01:53 PM
the idea is cool, but when i read about it a while back the 3rd-party ones looked like a security nightmare

bosoxfan
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
How so? Is it like garage door openers where you can open your neighbors with your remote?

rusellmj
11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
My nephew has one. It's part of his alarm remote I believe. The big advantage comes on those cold winter mornings. Walk outside hop in your nice warm car.

astroglide
11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How so? Is it like garage door openers where you can open your neighbors with your remote?

[/ QUOTE ]

the scanner stuff and physical keys. several of them needed an actual car key to be placed permanently in the vehicle (not in the actual ignition, but in places like the side mirrors) in order to bypass the security systems cars have to prevent hotwiring. it has to have improved by now i'd think.

11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
I had one installed while I still lived in Buffalo (well worth it) and now live in Vegas (still worth it, just for opposite reason) I've never had any problems with it...had it installed with alarm.....and if you don't put a key in and put to on position as soon as you touch brake or gas car shuts off!

Freakin
11-14-2005, 02:24 PM
I got one of these for my Dad for father's day. I went to a place that had free installation (or included installation, rather). I could probably have figured it out myself, but if anything had gone wrong, I'd have a difficult time troubleshooting it.

So it was about $15 more than at other places, and had installation with a lifetime installation warranty. It seemed like a decent deal. My dad loves it.