PDA

View Full Version : Got my Xbox 360

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Got my Xbox 360 this morning (won it in a contest, hence getting it a week before the street date).

It's pretty cool, only played for a bit with the game they sent me.

The thing is a serious machine though. The plug looks like it was made to power a nuclear reactor, the controller is battery operated and wireless (which is actually annoying IMO, I'd rather have to put up with the wire and now worry about running out of battery power, plus the bats make the controller is a little heavy) and the system itself is far removed from the light plastic grey box I remember video game systems being.

The whole thing makes me nostalgic for the games of yesteryear. :P

Like many on this board, I used to be a gamer (though not as much as many of you), and kind of left it by the wayside when I got into poker.

In any case, the system is nice, the graphics look good and everything loads in lightening speed and all that stuff. Those of you who pre-ordered it probably wont be disappointed.

FouTight
11-14-2005, 01:14 PM
holy crap dude, if you weren't 110% into it, you should have just sold it on ebay and got one later if you wanted one, you probably could have made a lot of money on it, stuff like that seems to be really expensive untill the release date. and even then, there might be limited supplies.

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
holy crap dude, if you weren't 110% into it, you should have just sold it on ebay and got one later if you wanted one, you probably could have made a lot of money on it, stuff like that seems to be really expensive untill the release date. and even then, there might be limited supplies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought of it, I know a lot of people who won the contest are doing that. Decided against it because there were a ton of people playing the contest who really wanted to win it to own it and many of them never won despite trying everyday. Given that, I thought it might be rude to sell it. Also, my brother never made the transition from gamind to poker so he's still way into (although one wonders if an Xbox will get him away from his PC and World of Warcraft).

vulturesrow
11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Got my Xbox 360 this morning (won it in a contest, hence getting it a week before the street date).

It's pretty cool, only played for a bit with the game they sent me.

The thing is a serious machine though. The plug looks like it was made to power a nuclear reactor, the controller is battery operated and wireless (which is actually annoying IMO, I'd rather have to put up with the wire and now worry about running out of battery power, plus the bats make the controller is a little heavy) and the system itself is far removed from the light plastic grey box I remember video game systems being.

The whole thing makes me nostalgic for the games of yesteryear. :P

Like many on this board, I used to be a gamer (though not as much as many of you), and kind of left it by the wayside when I got into poker.

In any case, the system is nice, the graphics look good and everything loads in lightening speed and all that stuff. Those of you who pre-ordered it probably wont be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you. That is all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Decided against it because there were a ton of people playing the contest who really wanted to win it to own it and many of them never won despite trying everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is an incredibly stupid reason.

maybe you shouldn't spend money anymore because other people would buy grain or drinking water with it.

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe you shouldn't spend money anymore because other people would buy grain or drinking water with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might be annoyed, if I saw everyone who won it selling there's I would probably be doubly so. I know there are some people who really wanted the system to play who entered the contest like 2000 times and didn't win, and some parents who tried to win every hour because they don't have much money and wanted to give their kid a really cool Christmas present. We can agree to disagree, but IMO selling it would be kind of a d*ck move.

Last year I won three ipods (pepsi is good to me), again I could have easily sold them, you might remember the ipod craze was in full effect last holiday season, but I kept one and gave the other two to friends.

I dunno, maybe I'm a sucker.

samjjones
11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Are you this guy?
http://www.kennedystuff.com/real/images/lazlo.gif

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you this guy?
http://www.kennedystuff.com/real/images/lazlo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... no. Who is he?

It actually looks familiar, is it from a movie or something?

samjjones
11-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Lazlo Holyfield from "Real Genius".

astroglide
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
does this line of reasoning only apply to gifts? would you keep a $1000 my little pony if you won it?

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does this line of reasoning only apply to gifts? would you keep a $1000 my little pony if you won it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, "my little pony", excellent reference, and yea I'd probably give it away to my little cousin or donate it to a kid's toy drive before selling it. Though one wonders why I would enter such a contest in the first place.
And to be clear, the Xbox will not be collecting dust, far from it. I probably wouldn't have bought one (unless they started realeasing the Final Fantasy games exclusively on there), but I'll still get plenty of use out of the thing.

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 02:04 PM
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/5721/xbox0027ee.th.jpg (http://img310.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xbox0027ee.jpg)

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/9956/xbox0030rn.th.jpg (http://img310.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xbox0030rn.jpg)

another forum wanted to see pics, so I figured id x-post.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Yo, he's obviously a nice guy who is slightly sentimental instead of being uber rational all the time. Is there a reason you want to fight against that? Just let him be a slightly hypocritical nice guy. What's the harm in that?

11-14-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I saw everyone who won it selling there's I would probably be doubly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch!

oreogod
11-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Seriously get Perfect Dark Zero that game looks sick.

Blarg
11-14-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might be annoyed, if I saw everyone who won it selling there's I would probably be doubly so. I know there are some people who really wanted the system to play who entered the contest like 2000 times and didn't win, and some parents who tried to win every hour because they don't have much money and wanted to give their kid a really cool Christmas present. We can agree to disagree, but IMO selling it would be kind of a d*ck move.

Last year I won three ipods (pepsi is good to me), again I could have easily sold them, you might remember the ipod craze was in full effect last holiday season, but I kept one and gave the other two to friends.

I dunno, maybe I'm a sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, you are a sucker. That doesn't mean you're not a nice guy or there's anything inherently all that bad about being a sucker. But you are one.

Nice move thinking about your brother when it came to the system, though.

But still, I think your reasoning on making the very least of your luck is pretty shaky. You really don't owe strangers a thing, virtually none of whom would have any way of knowing what you did with anything you won anyway.

Heck, if you want to do good, drop a couple bucks on a charity from the profits selling the X-box. People entering competitions for free stuff are just really not the right people to feel sorry for at all.

astroglide
11-14-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heck, if you want to do good, drop a couple bucks on a charity from the profits selling the X-box

[/ QUOTE ]

and this suggestion will tangibly benefit people.

i'm not 'against people being nice'. this is literally like he was handed a check for $800 and he wouldn't cash it because it had a picture of spongebob squarepants.

he could even sell it on ebay and buy another one after it's released.

Evan
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
hahahahahaahahahahahahaha

tpir90036
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not 'against people being nice'. this is literally like he was handed a check for $800 and he wouldn't cash it because it had a picture of spongebob squarepants.

[/ QUOTE ]
crap. my analogy was very much along this line... i will move along now.

pokerdirty
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
you HAVE to get this face plate....

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/802118b.jpg

xadrez
11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
OK, I promise I wont call you a sucker if you give me a little review of Kameo. Specifically, Is it more Zelda-like, or Platformer oriented?

KneeCo
11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I promise I wont call you a sucker if you give me a little review of Kameo. Specifically, Is it more Zelda-like, or Platformer oriented?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Zelda-esque, particularly in a wind-waker type way.

You play as elf/fairy type thing named Kameo and are a shape shifter trying to save your family. You can change into different element based creatures. In the first dungeon you have three of these creatures but then lose them all (its kinda like Metroid Prime in that way). All the action RPG staples, coins for trade, rare item to make your health bar bigger, mini map in the corner, exposition cut scenes, bla bla bla.

The graphics are really good and smooth, when you are not a creature you can fly around the areas pretty fast and fluidly, water effects, background animation and 'blood'' splatter are especially impressive. The camera is pretty good (this is usually my gripe with full 3d games).

I had no idea what the game was until the box was delivered this morning, but having played it a bit I think I'll play it through, it's seems pretty good. I was expecting to get either Need for Speed or Madden included but neither is out yet so they included that and a letter explaining I can expect either one of those two games in a couple of weeks (I don't get to pick among them... please be madden, please be madden!).

I've also spent like an hour playing Hexic (its one of the arcade games already on the machine), my goal is to have all the top scores on xbox live before the thing goes public :P

Side note, the 20 gig HD that came with the thing only has 12 gigs free space, but some of that space is taken by trailers and stuff that I can delete (the trailers are uninteresting and no, there isn't one for Halo 3).

Also, I put a Data DVD in there full of all episodes of poker I had downloaded (.avi files) to see if it would let me watch them on the tv, it did not, though I should be able to make that work when I get the Media Center compatibility hooked up, which I haven't done yet. I might also try copying the avi files to the xbox HD.

Finally, the thing is great as a DVD player. My old DVD player (a PS2) was way outdated, it stalled for a sec on the layer change on some dvds and the volume levels always seemed to low on some movies, both these problems seem to be fixed on the xbox.

Also, after a couple of hours of play, the batteries havent died on the controller, which I thing is a good sign.

xadrez
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for posting!

Enjoy your new toy.

lgas
11-14-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might be annoyed, if I saw everyone who won it selling there's I would probably be doubly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might try to buy one off ebay... and only if none of the people that won one but didn't really care that much were selling them, would I be doubly annoyed.

astroglide
11-15-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah guys, it's so irrelevant to the product...that you know exactly what it's advertising, and you're taking the time to discuss it on a message board. boy, what a marketing failure.

pokerdirty
11-15-2005, 02:21 PM
and i'm still not getting one until they decide HD DVD or BluRay. if evan decides to get his, i might go camp out with him though. standing out in front of circuit city for hrs, good times.

astroglide
11-15-2005, 02:23 PM
you'll be waiting forever then. they have made it very clear that they're not going to support any game on hd media. if they make an hd optical drive an option, it will only be for playing movies.

pokerdirty
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I'll still be waiting. There aren't going to be any good game for this thing for a year anyways.

And don't say Halo 3 is coming out in April. It's not.

KneeCo
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
a couple of notes for those who care:

I can't set up the media center capability because the software wont be released for download (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup) until the system is released (dang).
For the same reason, I can't get one Xbox Live. So I don't have any reviews in those respects.

The ipod connectivity on this thing is really great. No need to install anything, you just plug into the firewire jack in the back and its ready to go, it even charges while connected, regardless of whether you are using it to play music or not.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
unpacking the 360 (http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000710068346/)

a fun little tale

wonderwes
11-17-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and i'm still not getting one until they decide HD DVD or BluRay. if evan decides to get his, i might go camp out with him though. standing out in front of circuit city for hrs, good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 360 will be nice, but the BluRay on the ps3 for games and dvds will be outstanding on a HDTV.

You realize why people say sell it on ebay (make profit while you can)when you start to hear news reports "Parents at this mall in this small suburb,(ok lets pick Minnesota for no reason) were caught in an early morning brawl. Witnesses say the people were arguing about people cutting the line. When the stores doors open and there were only 10 units on sale, people argued then fought with each other to claim the system as theirs." Mark my words, we will see many stories of parents fighting other parents for this system.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
sooooooo...why not profit off the soccer moms?

pokerdirty
11-22-2005, 02:11 PM
trip report of XBL please.