PDA

View Full Version : mahatma broke?

Andrew Fletcher
11-14-2005, 01:11 PM
The legendary Matt Flynn made a statement that surprised me in a MHNL thread. He believes Mahtama is an overall losing player.

I've always liked Friedman, ever since he made an anti-war speech after winning a WSOP bracelet. He's also a sick poker player, but that's less important to me than his politics.

Anyone have thoughts on the idea that Mahatma is broke? How can he be a losing player and still have the bankroll to play in these huge games? Who is staking him? I know a lot of well-known players are essential broke, but these seems to be old school gamblers who have been around forever. They are part of a different era than Mahtama. Do online pros get staked the same ways as live pros? How does all of this work?

I guess one possibility is that he's taken some of his winnings and invesnted them in the stock market. Other sources of income keep him from being broke.

fnord_too
11-14-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The legendary Matt Flynn made a statement that surprised me in a MHNL thread. He believes Mahtama is an overall losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? (or was this from a long time ago? I think I may have read it if it was over two months ago.)

1800GAMBLER
11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? (or was this from a long time ago? I think I may have read it if it was over two months ago.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's misquoted. Flynn was on about people adjusting to sr's continuing bets make him a losing player in that game at the time.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 02:07 PM
It's definitely mis-quoted.

Andrew Fletcher
11-14-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's definitely mis-quoted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just re-read the thread and now I get it. Thanks.

Aceshigh7
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's also a sick poker player, but that's less important to me than his politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, his politics is exactly why I hate that douchebag.

Andrew Fletcher
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, you are from Huston. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm from Red China.

Matt Flynn
11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Mahatma had a run of hugely overbetting the pot all-in with far too high a (bluff/little hand:big hand) ratio. Even I, who had only played him a few hundred hands, knew to induce and to call those huge all-in bets. Full-stack errors of that frequency are insurmountable. Either Prahlad backs off or does it vs donkeys only or goes broke. At that point, he was a losing player.

Nothing to say Prahlad cannot make a simple adjustment and move on. Likely he did. I have not payed attention and have not played him in months.

Andrew Fletcher
11-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Daliman
11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mahatma had a run of hugely overbetting the pot all-in with far too high a (bluff/little hand:big hand) ratio. Even I, who had only played him a few hundred hands, knew to induce and to call those huge all-in bets. Full-stack errors of that frequency are insurmountable. Either Prahlad backs off or does it vs donkeys only or goes broke. At that point, he was a losing player.

Nothing to say Prahlad cannot make a simple adjustment and move on. Likely he did. I have not payed attention and have not played him in months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is, when I played against him some last year, I didn't see this strategy at all, even though I was expecting it.