PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western of All Time - Sweet Sixteen

swede123
11-14-2005, 11:41 AM
This is where it starts getting nasty. Personally I'm particularly torn about group one, with four movies that are all among my favorites.

All one and two seeds are still alive, and Clint Eastwood has now passed John Wayne with six movies vs. five remaining in the contest. Pretty amazing really that almost 70% of the movies remaining feature one of these guys, I guess it goes to show how dominant fixtures they have been in the world of westerns.

Anyway, here are the matchups...

diebitter
11-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Nice work, Swede.

I'm cool with about 5 of these winning, and still can't actually decide between OUATITW and Searchers as my number 1...

Peter666
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Pitting "Rio Bravo" against "Once Upon a Time in the West" is particularly nasty. I ended up choosing the latter.

But no way that "Unforgiven" should beat "Red River" even though "Unforgiven" is a good movie.

samjjones
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice work, Swede.

I'm cool with about 5 of these winning, and still can't actually decide between OUATITW and Searchers as my number 1...

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too...until I remember the final scene in "The Searchers", which is one of the top 3 shots in movie history, and that puts it over the edge for me.

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
I continue to be shocked at how overrated Unforgiven is.

swede123
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I know you're not a huge fan of Unforgiven and all; personally I think it is Eastwood aged to perfection.

That being said, Unforgiven has definitely gotten free passes until this round (match-ups with Young Guns and Open Range), and is now matched up with a very good, but pretty early Wayne movie, that I bet most people haven't seen. I pretty much don't see it losing until final four time, if even then. I guess you just gotta tough this one out, Vibesman.

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I know. I'm trying not to whine too much. I actually have a feeling it's going to win.

I'm hoping Magnificent 7 can pull out of it's dead heat with Butch Cassidey and take that one. Butch and Sundance is a great movie but Magnificent Seven is one of the best ever IMO.

Tough matchup for Fistful of Dollars this time around.

diebitter
11-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Not arguing with you Vibesman, but the opening scene of Butch is fantastic (the 'ask us to stay' one), and often overlooked.

swede123
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
A little bump for the afternoon/evening crew who might have missed out on this one...

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not arguing with you Vibesman, but the opening scene of Butch is fantastic (the 'ask us to stay' one), and often overlooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Another of my favorite scenes is Redford's "I shoot better when I move," scene.

Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. I love a lot of the movies in this poll, and have had to vote against some movies I consider damn good.

Heck, I even like the (homage? remake? updating? rip-off?) of Butch and Sundance, "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man."

Peter666
11-14-2005, 05:17 PM
I've watched the "Magnificent Seven" and it's ok (great musical score) but nothing compared to the movie it was based on "The Seven Samurai". Butch and Sundance by a wide margin here.

SL__72
11-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Its funny you mention that movie... I just watched it for the first time the other day. Not exactly a masterpiece, but still kind of fun.

pryor15
11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
this is a rarity, i don't really have a problem with any of the films that seem to still have a chance actually winning.

i think rio bravo's gonna lose, but i'm sticking w/ my man howard hawks until the bitter end.

SL__72
11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I voted for it again... I'll be dissapointed that it lost but Once Upon a Time is a pretty solid film to have to beat. Rio Bravo definately has a much higher rewatchability factor IMO.

swede123
11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Bump.

Rootabager
11-15-2005, 03:19 PM
True Grit with John Wayne is the best western of all time.

11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True Grit with John Wayne is the best western of all time.

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.bluelinecomics.com/pictures/Capt%20Obvious%20Running%20Away%20600.jpg

WDC
11-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I didn't see the round of 32 but where the hell is the Wild Bunch?

kitaristi0
11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Putting A Fistful of Dollars against TGTBATU just kills. Unfortunately it stands no chance, even though it's a really good movie.

fnord_too
11-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow, Shane is loosing by a lot. That surprises me. (Personally, I found High Noon pretty boring. About the most interesting thing about it was the subtle anti-McCarthyism theme).

fnord_too
11-15-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pitting "Rio Bravo" against "Once Upon a Time in the West" is particularly nasty. I ended up choosing the latter.

But no way that "Unforgiven" should beat "Red River" even though "Unforgiven" is a good movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red River is the one with the cattle drive mutiny (sort of), that had the changed ending of John Wayne adding the kids initial to the brand? Nah, Unforgiven blows that away on many levels.

(Trivia: The original ending was the kid reading over John Wayne's grave, the same passage Wayne read over the people he had killed in gun fights. Man I hope I am remembering the right movie...)

fnord_too
11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting A Fistful of Dollars against TGTBATU just kills. Unfortunately it stands no chance, even though it's a really good movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point, though. I agree, TGTBATU is freaking fabulous. If they don't get paired sooner, I really think it will be that and Unforgiven for the title. If they do get paired earlier, it will be the de facto title match. I wonder which movie Eastowood likes better? (I have both on DVD, I think I need to watch them again before they come up against each other. I'm thing G/B/U will get my vote, but that is a very tough decision.)

swede123
11-15-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see the round of 32 but where the hell is the Wild Bunch?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wild Bunch was matched up with Josey Wales, and Josey won. Like I said in the previous thread, it came down to a great movie vs. a really good movie with tons of mainstream popularity, and the popular one won.

Swede

fnord_too
11-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've watched the "Magnificent Seven" and it's ok (great musical score) but nothing compared to the movie it was based on "The Seven Samurai". Butch and Sundance by a wide margin here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first sentance whole heartedly. I did not thing BC&TSK was that great, though (it had some moements, but it seemed like half the script was just phoned in). And M7 had Steve McQueen.

I would have liked to see "The Wild Bunch" make it further in, but it could never be a serious contender.

11-15-2005, 04:50 PM
pale rider needs some love

swede123
11-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I enjoyed Pale Rider, but it really isn't in the same class as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Swede