PDA

View Full Version : DVD review "The Color of Paradise"

Allan
06-24-2003, 12:07 PM
I got home one evening to find a rental from Netflix in my mail box. I looked at the title and knew I hadn't kept up on my rental queue. I was sent a movie I knew I hadn't chosen. I proceded to read the little description of the movie.

It read somthing like:

A blind child attends a school for the blind in the city. School has just ended for summer break and he is to make the trek back to his home village with his father.

Along with this description was the killer for me:

Iranian with english subtitles.

Ouch.....I wondered how this was going to be a film I could watch. It just didn't sound..........interesting.

Well that evening I watched it and was nearly in tears in the opening scene (so I'm a sissy, shoot me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ). The movie is an intense emotional story that deals with relationships, fulfillment and faith.
The cinematography is brilliantly vivid, capturing the beauty of the rich and colorful Iranian countryside. This scenery helps propel the counterpoint between a boy who knows his suroundings intimately and his father who is unconcerned with everything but himself.

I enjoyed the movie so much that I watched it again with my wife after she got home. I was very glad this movie came and highly recommend it.

Hope this is helpfull,
Allan

P.S. It was directed by Majid Majidi.