PDA

View Full Version : WSOP qual. - Lay down bottom set?

People_Mover
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
100+8 on Absolute - 110 entrants - only 1st gets a seat.

About 75 left, I have 2400, slightly above avg.

50/100 - MP1 limps, Hero in MP3 limps 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif SB raises to 300, BB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

1200pot - 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets 400, MP1 minraises to 800. Hero?

zambonidrivr
11-14-2005, 10:30 AM
what range do you put him on. FYI, I would never fold a set. The only think I fear here is a flush draw. What range do you put him on? AJ, overpair, flush draw? I am shoving this hand right now. If he wants to draw againt you, that fine but long term shoving is +EV

MikeSmith
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
standard push for me, if SB hit set w/ JJ he probably would have check raised, other guy could have High card and J and reraised to see where he was at in the hand, possible set but unlikely. Im a fan of the push just in case of club draw.

11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't think SB is betting anything that beats you. MP1 has you crushed with 77 or is just fishing with some big clubs or a jack with a kicker.

Just push it.

kevstreet
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I shove this. However this may be a leak, I just can't seem to make this lay down yet. I'm getting better w/ mucking pocket Aces on a very scary board but dumping sets with this flop is not in my arsenal yet. I put one of them on an over pair and the other on a big flush draw and then push, again this may be a leak.

11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
When your set gets outflopped, you're supposed to lose a lot of money. When I hear someone telling a story about how he shrewdly laid down middle set after some intricate chain of reasoning convinced him he was beaten, my quick (but silent) reaction is "Idiot."
-Dan Harrington

zambonidrivr
11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
priceless

durron597
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When your set gets outflopped, you're supposed to lose a lot of money. When I hear someone telling a story about how he shrewdly laid down middle set after some intricate chain of reasoning convinced him he was beaten, my quick (but silent) reaction is "Idiot."
-Dan Harrington

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my favorite quotes from that book.

People_Mover
11-14-2005, 12:18 PM
That's my favorite quote from HOH2 as well. I went into the tank and thought to myself....1200 pot, and a cont. bet of 400?? give me a break.. SB has air...

MP1, no way, AA, KK or QQ as there was no raise preflop. JJ, no way as this would call for a raise preflop as well. So that leaves 77 and AJ or a draw. I smooth called the flop hoping UTG would come along for the ride, but he didn't. The turn was a blank and MP1 put me in with set 777 over set 444 and I didn't hit my 1 outer on the river. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll go with Harrington every time here and lose to set over set. Oh well, atleast I'm doing good in the satellites. lol

JustPlayingSmart
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's my favorite quote from HOH2 as well. I went into the tank and thought to myself....1200 pot, and a cont. bet of 400?? give me a break.. SB has air...

MP1, no way, AA, KK or QQ as there was no raise preflop. JJ, no way as this would call for a raise preflop as well. So that leaves 77 and AJ or a draw. I smooth called the flop hoping UTG would come along for the ride, but he didn't. The turn was a blank and MP1 put me in with set 777 over set 444 and I didn't hit my 1 outer on the river. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll go with Harrington every time here and lose to set over set. Oh well, atleast I'm doing good in the satellites. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never fold this in a normal tournament structure. But this is a winner-take all tournament. That is a huge consideration here. You have to get every single chip to win this tournament, so anything that is +cEV is +$EV. Folding a set here would be ridiculous.