PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Q (just wondering)

04-03-2002, 02:53 PM
It seems like most of the fishing posts here are of the long rod variety. I was wondering how many of you fishing people also fish conventional or spinning tackle. I do, and I'm not ashamed of it. I know that I can't double-haul into a 20mph headwind, but that I can get a 1oz lead through the gales. This is, of course, especially true in the salt, where I'm happy to wet any line at all, but I have been known to use a spinning reel in the sweet water at times.

like I said, just wondering.

BTW, some of the nicest guys I've met are long rod snobs. others who fall into that nicest category think fly rods are for sissys. I make no judgements.

04-04-2002, 02:49 PM
I picked up the long rod in 77. I use it exclusively not because its always the best choice but because I enjoy fishing with it best.

I met friends on the Beaverhead in the late 70s who mono nymphed(long rods with spinning reels attached, bouncing little nymphs off the bottom). They out fished me 10 to 1. I tried if a bit but went back to my fly rod. I never saw a method more deadly but I was content to flay away with limited success.

In Mt one can be pretty successful using only the long rod.

I might of been a bit of a snob, but as a self proclaimed fish bum I'd never of made the cover of an Orvis catalog.

After all these years and countless hrs you'd think I'd be an expert.

04-04-2002, 02:53 PM
I picked up the long rod in 77. I use it exclusively not because its always the best choice but because I enjoy fishing with it best.

I met friends on the Beaverhead in the late 70s who mono nymphed(long rods with spinning reels attached, bouncing little nymphs off the bottom). They out fished me 10 to 1. I tried if a bit but went back to my fly rod. I never saw a method more deadly but I was content to flay away with limited success.

In Mt one can be pretty successful using only the long rod.

I might of been a bit of a snob, but as a self proclaimed fish bum I'd never of made the cover of an Orvis catalog.

After all these years and countless hrs you'd think I'd be an expert.

Have a good summer.

04-04-2002, 03:05 PM

04-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Ed,

If I were in Montana, I don't think I'd put down my four weight except to pick up a six when the trout are on stones or hoppers.

04-04-2002, 07:09 PM
I fish on conventional tackle. You see, I am from New Jersey, so there are few good places to fly fish. Most of the fishing I did was bass fishing, and I found fly fishing for bass to be fairly boring. Fly fishing is great if you are in a secluded trout stream, but where I lived there was one stream with a good native trout population and it only offered limited access. It is a monster river for NJ, I've seen trout 24" and heard of smallmouth as big as 6 lbs, but the fishing is tough there so I didn't make it there much and when I did, I usually went for smallmouth, etc..., so I actually caught something. I live in Cleveland now so it is more of the same. If I ever live in Montana or some other place where there are more good oppurtunities to fly fish I'll start up again, but for now I'm into conventional. There are just more options this way. Hell, I can even stalk giant carp in city ponds. Carp fishing, by the way, is very underrated. I've seen carp around 20 lbs in lakes where the primary game fish are 10" bass and sunfish. If you've never tried it, is a blast (and can be very challenging, especially in small ponds with a fair amount of fishing pressure).

04-05-2002, 02:09 AM
Carp fishing's a blast. in college we used to cook up doughballs and hook 5-10 lbers and drink beer. then one day we tied up some pink puffball flys (spun deerhair with a lead wrap on the hook shank sinks slowly like a doughball), and a whole new definition of "it's on!!" was realized. I heard that some of the salt water guys fish carp in thin water to practice for bonefish on the flats.

yes, carp are great fish.

04-05-2002, 04:15 AM
A Flyfishing Guide, by Barry Reynolds,Brad Befus,JOhn Berryman,Dave Whitlock.

I've heard Carp on the fly is great sport.

04-05-2002, 04:19 AM
Last week I was casting a #20 Adams, this week a #8 Skwala stone dry with my 4wt.

On the way back to the car I put on a San Jaun worm to prove to myself that I am not a snob.

04-05-2002, 04:27 PM
dap a glo-bug in a stocked stream and then I'll believe you're not a snob. Bonus points for a spun deer hair fly clipped very tight fished in a stocked stream right after the truck pulls away.

this is, of course, the infamouns "trout chow special"

04-05-2002, 04:29 PM
I think it was none other than Lee Wolfe who used to cast a purple spun hair fly under a berry tree during season for carp.

04-05-2002, 05:39 PM
I use a spin rod all the time. Usually when fishing on a lake. I'm not very good a fly fishing so I have to do what I can to catch fish. For some reason though I use a fly rod way more than a spin rod.

04-05-2002, 05:49 PM
no stocked trout in Mt rivers.

I used glo-bugs, short line nymph style for steelhead in Battle Creek(trib to Sac. NO Cal) with good success. Used my 5wt rod, most steelhead 3-5 lb. range(if memory serves me).Would have to point rod at the salmon I would inadvertantly hook and clamp down on line.

04-05-2002, 06:06 PM
wait until fish are feeding on top i.e callibaetis ,this happens a lot.