PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods last night

Jeffro
06-24-2003, 08:34 AM
My first post in the tournament forum. Have only played in two other live tournaments and about 3-4 Internet sit and go’s on paradise, but with all the WPT hype on TV I decided to venture outside my regular ring games. Anyhow I get to Foxwoods last night around 6:15, and the line for the tournament is about 40 deep, have never seen it like this the last two times I played the Monday night tournament there were about 60 players total. We end up with 16 tables, so top 20 will pay. Anyhow will make this short and sweet 25 Buy-In +10 Entry Fee with one optional 30 rebuy limit holdem. We are down to 3 tables, Blinds 300-600, limit 600-1200. I have 3600 in my stack, on to my last hand.

MP with about 5000 limps, I raise with KQo, button who is table leader with at least 20,000 calls, blinds fold. I’m going to do my best to recall the precise cards, I just have a tough time remembering these live.
**Flop** Q46 rainbow
MP bets, I raise, button folds, MP calls.
**Turn** is either 7 or 8 putting two spades, and the possible straight out there.
MP bets, I’ve got 1200 in my stack, If I fold I can probably make it to the next level but the 1000 blind will just about put me all-in, so I figure my chances can’t get much better so I call. He flips over 34s, I’m ahead but he’s got oodles of out, not sure if had the gut-shot or not. Make a long story short, my heart is beating a mile a minute, river looks to be a dud, waiting for the pot and they push it to him, the dud was a spade.
I left pretty pissed off, getting beat runner-runner.

Did I make a mistake on this hand? I’ve never studied tournament play, and my experience is very minimal. Is there a sense of accomplishment making it this far and just getting outdrawn?

ohkanada
06-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Seems like you played it well. It sounds like the blinds are about to increase so you would rather not wait much longer. KQ against a weak limper looks fine.

Ken Poklitar

Justaloser
06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Am I missing something here?

MP limps, calls a reraise preflop. Bets and calls a reraise on the flop. With 32s??? On the flop he's got 4 solid outs and the backdoor flush draw. He bets and gets raised and still calls???
I understand a little better why he stayed in after the turn, though not really why he bet. He gained more outs, but still is behind.

Why do I think that is a really bad play? If I am wrong, please explain to me why that is a good play (other than the fact that he won THAT particular pot).

Greg (FossilMan)
06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
You played it fine. He's a lucky moron. If you can, just smile at him and say "nice hand".

There is NO way you should have folded on the turn. Based upon his play of this hand, even before he turned it over, there is no reasonable hand that he could've played in this manner, given the chip counts and overall situation. In fact, at this point, with the blinds so big compared to the stacks, it will just about NEVER be correct to limp as the first one in, so as soon as you wrote that he limped in, I knew he was a weak player. While a truly weak player could have anything here, that anything includes a lot of hands that KQ is beating, plus a lot of hands where you have more than sufficient pot odds to draw out here. Overall, a fold would be terrible.

If the guy were a total rock that had to have you beat to bet the turn, then you could fold. But I don't really know any rocks that are like this AND who could be limping in with these hands.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)