PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba blows

ilya
11-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I own a Toshiba Satellite laptop and, let me tell you, it is a piece of [censored]. The thing overheats at the slightest provocation...it can't even handle flash sites much of the time. It's winter weather here in New York and I find myself having to keep the AC on just to keep it from shutting down in the middle of a set (and no, there isn't a lot of heating in my house).

Long story short, death to Toshiba! I would sooner pay money for a North Korean hand-me-down than buy another laptop from those bastards.

tonypaladino
11-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Maybe the fan is burnt out?

11-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I have been using a toshiba satellite for 3 years now, and i have not had a problem.

srgodm
11-14-2005, 03:17 AM
My girlfriend has one. It sucks ass, overheating and such as you explained. Oh yeah, the CDROM drive also crapped out. I def think Toshiba blows.

ChipWrecked
11-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Maybe Russia traded them cooling technology for those submarine secrets Toshiba peddled to them in the 80's.

[censored] Toshiba.

daryn
11-14-2005, 12:34 PM
in other news, NEVER BUY XXXXX BRAND OF XXXXXX, THEY SUCK! THEY ARE TERRIBLE. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER XXXXX XXXXXX AS LONG AS I LIVE! TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW NEVER TO BUY A XXXXXX FROM XXXXX EVER!

KaneKungFu123
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I own a Toshiba Satellite laptop and, let me tell you, it is a piece of [censored]. The thing overheats at the slightest provocation...it can't even handle flash sites much of the time. It's winter weather here in New York and I find myself having to keep the AC on just to keep it from shutting down in the middle of a set (and no, there isn't a lot of heating in my house).

Long story short, death to Toshiba! I would sooner pay money for a North Korean hand-me-down than buy another laptop from those bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine works great and is super light, very good for travel.

swede123
11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in other news, NEVER BUY XXXXX BRAND OF XXXXXX, THEY SUCK! THEY ARE TERRIBLE. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER XXXXX XXXXXX AS LONG AS I LIVE! TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW NEVER TO BUY A XXXXXX FROM XXXXX EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. Talk about a pointless rant. Shesh.

Swede

HesseJam
11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I have one and it royally sucks. The fan is always acting up, the backlight of the screen dims down without any excuse, the sound buttons need seconds to react to a push, sometimes they don't work at all, the thing needs 3 min to boot and sometimes 2 minutes to shut down, the on/ off switch sometimes doesn't work, the battery went down after 100 hours usage, the a/c plug get's unstuck very easily which is nice if your battery is broke. It has a good processor but sometimes needs 4 seconds to come up with the file explorer.

In short, it's a piece of crap. I'll never ever buy one again.

GuyOnTilt
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
What would prompt you guys to buy a Toshiba laptop in the first place?

GoT

11-14-2005, 12:45 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/pinups/dell.jpg

Dude, you shoulda gotten a Dell!

daryn
11-14-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

somebody probably told them not to buy dell, because that person had a bad experience with a dell laptop one time. for reference, see my post earlier in the thread

Voltron87
11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

somebody probably told them not to buy dell, because that person had a bad experience with a dell laptop one time. for reference, see my post earlier in the thread

[/ QUOTE ]

and my friend had a sony vaio that had technical issues, so you can't buy one of those! etc etc

Blarg
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is the opposite of pointless, and very clearly so. I don't see what Daryn's on about and why you would agree, either.

I'm happy to hear warnings that keep me from blowing my money, and endorsements that help steer me and my money(and frustration level) in the direction of quality.

I think spreading the bad news about a product is a valuable thing and there's every point in the world to it. Complaining when someone does so is what is pointless. And it ranks pretty high up on the scale of pointless things.

Blarg
11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Toshiba used to have an incredible reputation, and still gets lots of featured space in reviews and plenty of publicity in magazines. It's pretty easy to get hit with lots of good word about Toshiba, or at least advertising.

tolbiny
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I have a Satellite- about 10 months now- and i am not particularly happy with it either. It def takes forever to start up and shut down, and i've had to reinstall windows twice on it (might just be bad luck). So i def wouldn't recommend them.

TheTROLL
11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is the opposite of pointless, and very clearly so. I don't see what Daryn's on about and why you would agree, either.

I'm happy to hear warnings that keep me from blowing my money, and endorsements that help steer me and my money(and frustration level) in the direction of quality.

I think spreading the bad news about a product is a valuable thing and there's every point in the world to it. Complaining when someone does so is what is pointless. And it ranks pretty high up on the scale of pointless things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the comment was about sample size. Specifically, a sample of one.

Jeebus
11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
I felt the same way for about 6 months, then the day before I had to turn in my thesis, the backlight when out as did the auxilary monitor port. According to Toshiba its not a big deal and will only take an hour to fix. But a week to ship out and a week to ship back.
I don't particularly care for Toshiba. I am now bothering my parents HP and it rocks. Plus I can play Civ 4 on it.

Blarg
11-14-2005, 08:53 PM
That's the sample size anyone is going to have, and it's enough to be useful or illustrative. There's no reason to restrict comment about the one you have, even though it may not be fair to extrapolate that to all of Toshiba's products.

Readers can decide for themselves how to take it. And one more data point from one more guy could only help.

ilya
11-16-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually didn't buy it...I just own it. I think the dotcom from which it trickled down to me bought it because...I dunno, cos they neglected to read my warning?