PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a Monarch Computer

TheMetetron
11-14-2005, 01:36 AM
I think I want to get a desktop from these guys, but they have so many weird options and I'm not THAT computer saavy that I don't want to mess something up. What I want:

- At least 250GB HD. I would take a bigger one if it was cost-efficient. I also have a 250GB External already, so I think I'm good.

- At least 1GB of RAM. 2GB would probably be preferred, though I'm not sure if getting it on here is best. Also, what the hell is DDR2? Made me seem like getting all the RAM there was better, but I'm confused.

- P4 3.0-3.2 Ghz Processor. Is that enough? I remember reading that processor speed isn't really all that important.

- DVD +- RW 16x Dual Layer. A separate DVD-ROM wouldn't be a bad idea either. I think cheapest one is the idea here, no?

- Video card. I want to be able to use 3 monitors. I think this means I need 2 video cards. I also want a TV-tuner to be able to watch/record cable on one of my monitors.

- I obviously need Windows XP. Home is fine, but is the Media Center upgrade worth it? I have no knowledge of it myself.

I think that's all... if someone can help me pick out the right components, I'd be super grateful. Also, if Monarch isn't the best place for this, someone let me know.

obsidian
11-14-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I want to get a desktop from these guys, but they have so many weird options and I'm not THAT computer saavy that I don't want to mess something up. What I want:

- At least 250GB HD. I would take a bigger one if it was cost-efficient. I also have a 250GB External already, so I think I'm good.

[/ QUOTE ]
250GB is a good number. Only reason you would need more is if you download a lot of videos/music.

[ QUOTE ]
- At least 1GB of RAM. 2GB would probably be preferred, though I'm not sure if getting it on here is best. Also, what the hell is DDR2? Made me seem like getting all the RAM there was better, but I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]
DDR2 is ram used by all new P4 chipsets. It is generally the only type compatible with new P4s.

[ QUOTE ]
- P4 3.0-3.2 Ghz Processor. Is that enough? I remember reading that processor speed isn't really all that important.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I prefer AMDs atm because they are currently kicking the P4's ass in almost all types of applications. Else 3-3.2GHz should be plenty

[ QUOTE ]
- DVD +- RW 16x Dual Layer. A separate DVD-ROM wouldn't be a bad idea either. I think cheapest one is the idea here, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the NEC ND-3540A.

[ QUOTE ]
- Video card. I want to be able to use 3 monitors. I think this means I need 2 video cards. I also want a TV-tuner to be able to watch/record cable on one of my monitors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, tough one. Are you planning on gaming at all? I would suggest getting a TV tuner separate from you video card.

[ QUOTE ]
- I obviously need Windows XP. Home is fine, but is the Media Center upgrade worth it? I have no knowledge of it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about Media Center. If you plan on recording shows off TV it might be worth it although there are probably better solutions.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's all... if someone can help me pick out the right components, I'd be super grateful. Also, if Monarch isn't the best place for this, someone let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Monarch is a good and respected retailer. They should be fine for this. If you want let me know what you will be using it for. TV recording, gaming, music, etc. I'll try to spec one out for you from them.

TheMetetron
11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Gaming isn't a big concern. I.e. I don't need some super crazy video card. In fact, I haven't played PC games in years so I wouldn't even worry about it.

My computer will be used as my office computer. So word processing, poker, internet, etc. Also, watching TV/movies, recording TV to the HD and possibly burning them to DVD, and copying DVD's. I will be doing the occassional light video and music (Pro Tools) editing, still I won't need a great audio card as it won't be used as a primary production computer. I'll probably have 2 2001FP's hooked up to it and 1 of those new 24" Dell widescreens. Plan is to be able to 8 table on the 2001's and use the other screen for misc stuff.

I will also have my current laptop that will be delegated for most of the DVD-copying and light music editing.

The most confusing thing for me is picking out TV Tuners, video cards, an audio card (I think the LiveBlaster! one is okay??), and a motherboard/processor/case/fan that work together. I don't want to accidentally screw something up.

Freakin
11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Spamatron,

If you're having them build a system, they should be able to provide decent recommendations on simple thinks like audio cards.

As for your needs, I don't think Media Center edition is a bad idea. It will probably be more straightforward than some other DVR options. I would recommend looking for a more expensive TV card that does hardware encoding on the board. This will free up a lot of system resources when TV recording.

I think that RAM is cheap enough that you might as well go with 2GB, but I'm big on overkill; you don't need 2GB for your requirements.

Some people have had problems with the Dell 24" (2405FPW) with a high-pitched whine. I love my 2405 and woudl not trade it for anything, but I would hesitate before buying another one unless they cleared up the whine problem (or will accept warranty exchanges on it). I think the Dell forums should have some threads on it (or use google).

If you find a stand that will hold the 2405 in the center and the two 2001's on the wings then let me know, because that is my setup. This is the only one I've found Ergotron (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824183107)
It says it only support up to 20", but the 24" is the same height as the 20"... i dunno

Terry
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
You can’t make a mistake on the Monarch system configurator ... it won’t let you choose incompatible components. And FWIW, I’ve been buying from them for years.

For three monitors you either need a quad card like the Matrox which is very expensive or two dual output cards. Most motherboards only have one slot for a video card, however the new SLI boards will take two PCI-E cards so that might be your best shot, choosing something like an Asus A8N Deluxe motherboard (which has fine onboard sound, no need for additional sound card) and two lower end GeForce 6600 video cards – just be sure to choose with TV.

Take a look at Monarch Furia Custom Desktop (PCI-E w/SLI) (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code= 80390).

obsidian
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Yea, matrox makes a quad-dvi card so you can run 4 monitors on 1 card but it is pretty expensive. Something like $770.

Nomad84
11-14-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most motherboards only have one slot for a video card, however the new SLI boards will take two PCI-E cards so that might be your best shot, choosing something like an Asus A8N Deluxe motherboard (which has fine onboard sound, no need for additional sound card) and two lower end GeForce 6600 video cards – just be sure to choose with TV.[/url].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still trying to figure out if the 2 PCIe slots can be used independently for video cards on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Some of what I am reading makes it look like only one can be used for a video card if you aren't using SLI. Can anyone clarify this?

obsidian
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out if the 2 PCIe slots can be used independently for video cards on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Some of what I am reading makes it look like only one can be used for a video card if you aren't using SLI. Can anyone clarify this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only with SLI disabled. It is my understanding that you can only use 1 monitor with SLI enabled and up to 4 monitors with it disabled.

obsidian
11-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Here's what I would suggest if you are going the Intel route:

Case: Lian-Li PC-60B (black) - $115
I just like this case. Pick whatever one you like

Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT SLI - $122

Motherboard: Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe - $159

Processor: Intel P4 640 3.2GHz - $211

Heat Sink Fan: None

Memory: DDR2 (533) 2GB (2 pieces 1GB) Patriot PSD22G533K - $161

Harddrive: Seagate 250GB ST3250823AS - $109

DVD: NEC ND-3540A (black) - $46

Floppy: Mitsumi (black) - $20

Video card: 2xBFG 6600GT - $197 each
* You will have to call them about this and tell them your needs

TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 - $127

Freakin
11-14-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absolute waste of money as he is not playing any games. There are $50 ATI Cards with dual DVI

Nomad84
11-14-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Only with SLI disabled. It is my understanding that you can only use 1 monitor with SLI enabled and up to 4 monitors with it disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find anything indicating this in the manual. In the manual, it says that default mode for those slots is one PCIe x16 and one PCIe x1. In SLI mode, it's two PCIe x8 slots. The ads say two PCIe x16 slots, so I would thing they could both be used as x16 slots with a video card in each without using SLI, but the manual says that if you put in two video cards and don't switch the selector card around to use SLI, a warning light comes on. Is this just a reminder, but the cards will still function normally? I wish I could get confirmation from someone that has this board with 2 video cards working indeopendently becasue the documentation is confusing at best. Of course, I still plan to get this mobo regardless because if it won't run 2 PCIe video cards, I can still run one PCIe and one PCI just like with any other board.

obsidian
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an absolute waste of money as he is not playing any games. There are $50 ATI Cards with dual DVI

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but I was just trying to use the configurator and NVIDIA cards for an SLI setup. He should probably call up monarch and ask them about this.

TheMetetron
11-15-2005, 02:55 AM
This is what I was worried about... I'm ridiculously confused as to video cards / tv tuner / motherboard, since you guys who know more about this stuff can't even come to a consensus /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TheMetetron
11-15-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these $50 cards? Do I need PCI-Express? I can't find anything without it.

Freakin
11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these $50 cards? Do I need PCI-Express? I can't find anything without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell Monarch that you want to power 3-4 monitors on DVI and will not be playing ANY 3d games. See what they have in stock.

If they try to sell you $200 6600's, tell them to [censored] themselves