PDA

View Full Version : pretty sure i did the right thing...

jaydoggie
06-24-2003, 06:11 AM
heads up NL, my opponent is raising 100% of the hands. no matter what i raise, he will call.

blinds 100/200, total chips on table 4200 im ahead by around 600. i have 2400, he has 1800.

in the BB im dealt AcJc. He raises it to 800 to go.
I move all in, and knowing he will call with any two cards.

obviously i wouldnt bring this up if i didnt get massacred here but did i do the right thing?

1800GAMBLER
06-24-2003, 08:02 AM
No. If he holds any 2 cards other than yours he's just under 50% chance of winning, you only hope he has Ax Jy, x > J.

I'd rather be calling you down with 3 5s than AT. Your hand is good but his hand probably has an equal chance to improve as does yours, so it's not that good. The only edge you have is him not improving really.

Plus if he plays like you said he does you don't need to be pressuring your cards to hold up for you, you could easily take this.

ohkanada
06-24-2003, 09:37 AM
"my opponent is raising 100% of the hands. no matter what i raise, he will call."

Based on this AJs is a monster!

The problem if you keep folding looking for a big pair you will be blinded away.

Ken Poklitar

ohkanada
06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Huh?

"If he holds any 2 cards other than yours he's just under 50% chance of winning"

What does this mean? If the opponent holds 97o the AJs wins 65% of the time. If the opp holds KTo, the AJs wins 64% of the time. Sure if the opponent has an underpair then AJs wins slightly less than 50% of the time.

Ken Poklitar

Rickfish
06-24-2003, 09:50 AM
The choice is all-in or call (fold is not an option). My first reaction would be all-in and is what I would probably do but often in hindsight I realise a call would have worked better. You move in on the flop and your oppo may have a hard time calling. E.g. you AJs oppo Q9, flop K 5 2, turn, 5, river Q. I've noticed this sort of thing happens quite often. This only works if you are first to speak on the flop which I think you are in the hand you describe.

If you go all-in pre-flop you can add it too your bad beat repertoire but you know in the back of your mind you could have done better.

jaydoggie
06-24-2003, 02:47 PM
i moved in he calls with 85o. I told you he would call with ANY 2 cards. If this opponent raises preflop (he probably was doing it a fair number of times preflop) no raise would push him out.

it was live so i didnt pick up strength, i play with him regularly.

anyway he calls allin with 85o flop comes 8 8 5 :/

with my remaining 600chips i did come back and win however. :0

DJA
06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Easy play if the situation is as you described. You are very likely ahead.

Just My Thoughts,

DJA
06-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Although it isn't often the brightest play in the world... calling any all-in... In this situation I don't think your opponent should fold after he raises to T800... But if he will call anything, why not put it allin to begin with.

So although you were unlucky on this hand, your opponent made the correct call after he gets caught trying to steal with 85o. He is getting 2.6:1 on his call, and I believe if you have 2 over cards you are a < 2:1 favorite, so basically he should call no matter what. He is just hoping you don't have an overpair.

Just My Thoughts,

jaydoggie
06-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Well, hes not that good. No one i play with is, including myself. My rationale as follows.

- I cant fold an AcJc against 2 random cards.
- If I only call, he is first to act and there is a good chance he's going all in regardless of the flop.
- If I go all in he's going to call with ANY 2 cards because he feels he's already too committed to this hand, he doesnt want to be pushed around, and on top of that he isn't that great of a card player. The chip lead that would have given me had he folded preflop would have been more than enough to make it comfortable for me to take the entire thing in a series of hands, and he knows that.

the only time he's ever beat me headsup was when he moved allin preflop and i called with AQs and he had T6o and drew a 6.

So, I figure against MOST random hands im ahead 2:1. Against some we're close to even money, and a select few I'm a HUGE dog. KK, AA, AK, AQ, JJ.

Oh well he won the pot fair and square, although I think my play here was correct. :/

Rickfish
06-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Sorry, he was first to speak therefore you must go all-in. Calling is only better if you will be first to speak (unless you think he will fold for the re-raise).