PDA

View Full Version : KK against a maniac

11-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Villain was a maniac, playing every hand, showing down good cards occasionally, but junk most of the time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB

Could I have played it better? Should I ever slow down in the spot?

tyler_cracker
11-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm not slowing down against a reasonable player, much less a maniac.

Felipe
11-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Could I have played it better?

let me guess... you lost the hand?

I would have played it the same!! If he has AA so be it, VEEERRY unlikely though. MANIACS RERAISE (CAP) AA FROM ANY POSITION. What did he show you?

11-14-2005, 12:58 AM
In my book this is perfect. You will be up against a 9, an Ace, or two sevens much more often than two nines or two Aces, so you've got to keep on betting.

Don't let it get you down if you lost this one.

TheMainEvent
11-14-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not slowing down against a reasonable player, much less a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChuckyB
11-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Done expertly.

MrWookie47
11-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Bad beat posts suck. Post them in the NC thread.

11-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Villian did end up showing AA to take it. I'm not results oriented, so it didn't bother me. I just wanted to see if better players could see any part of the hand I overplayed.

MrWookie, I did not post this looking for sympathy. I'm sure I dislike bad beat posts as much as you do, sorry if this thread came off as such.

cfjr2
11-14-2005, 01:45 AM
i would not cap the turn but that is optional if he is maniacal
the river seems like spewing

jaxUp
11-14-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a Bayesian analysis...we should at least cap turn and go 3 bets on river.

MrWookie47
11-14-2005, 01:56 AM
If you lose holding a set, you're generally going to lose a bunch of money, especially if it's the best set you can reasonably expect someone to have, especially if you fill up, and espeically if the villain is a maniac. I'd have probably gone at least 5-10 more bets with this guy if betting wasn't capped on the river, and if this guy really was a maniac I might have gone to the felt.

You say results don't matter, but the way you phrased the question asking if you could have saved some bets. This IS results oriented thinking. I suspect a big reason why you reviewed this hand to post in the first place is because you lost a lot of money on it. It's easy to sort your PT data looking for the biggest losses, and then go to those hands assuming you made a mistake. That's perfectly natural, but it's not how you become a good poker player. You become a good poker player by patching up the decisions you make every single session (or every single hand) with marginal holdings rather than patching up decisions in the rare event that your boat sinks. If you want to test yourself on the fundamentals to find spots where you regularly miss/lose bets rather than spots where you rarely lose bets, I'd encourage you to take this challenge (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=3464230&amp;fpar t=1&amp;PHPSESSID=) and respond to the posts of others and explain how you'd play the hand in the most complete manner you can. Don't be afraid to get something wrong - that's what we're here for. And if you do get something wrong, keep asking questions until someone explains it. If you can't get a good explanation, send me a PM. I'll either give it to you, or I'll get someone who can.

11-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Thanks Wookie. I appreciate your constructive comments. I read your "challenge" post last week and completed it for that day then stopped. I need to stay disciplined and learn how to play common hands like you suggest. I'm making a promise to you and myself that I will do the challenge for everyday this week. You can hold me to it.

2+2 wannabe
11-14-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're giving up a lot of value then

you're behind 2 hands (AA/99) and without a reraise preflop AA is unlikely

I probably go 2 or 3 more on the river if I have the option

11-14-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
without a reraise preflop AA is unlikely

[/ QUOTE ]
You HAVE played at Party, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

People try to sneak their pocket aces past the flop like they're smuggling diamonds. (It was great preparation for 6-max, where almost no one fastplays aces.)

That said, he can't think about that.

2+2 wannabe
11-14-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
without a reraise preflop AA is unlikely

[/ QUOTE ]
You HAVE played at Party, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

People try to sneak their pocket aces past the flop like they're smuggling diamonds. (It was great preparation for 6-max, where almost no one fastplays aces.)

That said, he can't think about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played party forever - why would you play there instead of somewhere where you can get RB/bonus?

aargh57
11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Grunching

I think that you played it the way I would've. I think that you can't slowdown here. He's probably going to 3 bet AA preflop so you have even less chance that he's got it. I don't see how you can't cap with this hand on the river. I'm thinking that you may have gotten beat by 99 here because otherwise you wouldn't have posted.