PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Age of Music

whiskeytown
11-14-2005, 12:14 AM
<disclaimer - stoned posting>

You know, I'll always be blown away by music. How a signal sent thru our ears - the way music can impact so many other senses and work such pleasure in unfamiliar ways is astounding.

I've always known this, but I'm even more stunned by the music that's doing it to me the most lately - Classic Country - Crystal Gayle, Emmylou Harris, old Waylon, Willie, George Jones and Hank Williams and Sylvia and Ronnie Milsap and David Allen Coe.

These songs are childhood songs - I didn't like them them and they're not something I'd ever compose or enjoy, (well, the GOOD stuff, like Hank Williams, I wish I could compose and pull off for real) - but this is the stuff I heard.

And now - at 33, these songs from my childhood, my parent's record collection and what the radio played, these are some of my favorite songs right now, which goes totally against my normal musical tastes.

And to be able to pipe it in 24x7 on XM satellite Radio or Cable TV Music stations - to have the music you want when you want it....

SERIOUSLY - think for a moment - I didn't know who the Replacements or Soul Asylum were in Montana in 1990 - But now, I hear a song, I can google the lyrics to find an artist website where the song is and then I can buy the album online without having to find the special catalog or store that might have a copy we could order.

I can listen to ANY preprogrammed music genre on live365.com - and listen to streaming Irish music where I first heard Kate Rusby, who has become my most favorite artist - and I'd have NEVER heard her on the radio or anywhere a few years ago.

and I can scope the whole album via preview before I buy it - so I can decide if it's worth my dollars cause I will pay for the music - I want the artists to keep making it, but I'm not gonna buy a dog [censored] album for $12 and two good tracks.

For the lover of music, the 21st Century is our pinnicle - we have total manipulation of the recording process now - we can do ANYHTHG we can sonically imagine in the studio, within only the barest of limits. We can distribue to ANYONE who wants it with an internet connection, and ANYONE can get a copy if they want it. No secret stores, singles clubs like the Subpop label had, no major label even required to make a living if you're good enough and have the drive to do the business too.

Ladies and Gentleman. If you love music, there is simply no better time to be alive - this is our new frontier - everything afterwards is gonna be so out in left field or unexpected that it'll probably go new directions in our enjoyment. But for now, we have reached Shangrai-La.

RB

jgorham
11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
This post really made me jealous that I am (supposed to be) writing a paper rather than just relaxing after a long weekend with some music. I agree with what you say here, and just wanted to add a couple things to it:

1) Besides giving direct access to music, the internet is a great resource to know what records to check out. There are a ton of great review sites for various genres (as well as message boards), so it is easy to weed out the really good stuff.

2) Record companies have lost a lot of power, and are losing more every year. IMO, this age gives more people the opportunity to go out and play music if they want to; more selections = better stuff all around.

Now, I know you are stoned and so this seems like the greatest revelation ever, but isn't just about everything better in the 21st centurty than it ever has been? Makes me want to live in the 24th century...

man
11-14-2005, 12:52 AM
I agree. I don't think there's been a better time in which to cultivate music. we aren't slaves to record companies and radio stations anymore.

another way that I feel music is getting better is in the necessity of bands to put together good live performances. since file sharing is so prevalent it's the last reliable method of bringing in money. bands like wilco, the slip, and anyone else who can put together a good show, are the ones who will be successful.

I think it's amazing that the market is actually adjusting so that skillful performers will be the successful ones, because I honestly feel that rock music is all about live performances. it's great to listen to music in your living room, but it's such a different experience to see the band before you. it's even unreal.

hopefully this is all more than just a pipe dream.

Jack of Arcades
11-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Not only that, there's a lot of really good music being made and it's even more accessible. Everyone thinks the music from <insert era, usually 60s> is the best, but that's because time has picked out what you should listen to that's the best. There's a lot of amazing music today that you just have to look for - but not very hard.

Colonel Kataffy
11-14-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone thinks the music from <insert era, usually 60s> is the best, but that's because time has picked out what you should listen to that's the best. There's a lot of amazing music today that you just have to look for - but not very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I think there is some good music being made today, but did time really have to pick out the Beatles, Zepplin, the Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, the Rolling Stones...

Now I wasn't alive back then, but I have a hunch that these bands were pretty big back in the day and I doubt you had to look for it in the slightest.

Jack of Arcades
11-14-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone thinks the music from <insert era, usually 60s> is the best, but that's because time has picked out what you should listen to that's the best. There's a lot of amazing music today that you just have to look for - but not very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I think there is some good music being made today, but did time really have to pick out the Beatles, Zepplin, the Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, the Rolling Stones...

Now I wasn't alive back then, but I have a hunch that these bands were pretty big back in the day and I doubt you had to look for it in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

No; time didn't pick out those bands. Time picked out bands like the Velvet Underground, weeded out everyone that wasn't worthy, and we were left with the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.

benza13
11-14-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<Disclaimer, very stoned response, likely to be complete gibberish>

These are definitely amongst the greatest bands ever, just like you could probably add Bruce Springsteen, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine to the list if you were to continue on with the best rock of its particular era, that will still be played years from now on rock radio (as long as it exists, at least).

The arts are going through revolutionary changes due in large part to technology, the two most affected areas being music and film. These are becoming so accessible to the average person that the boundaries are rapidly expanding for what might be popular enough that the artist can make a good living.

Certainly, the music industry will still cater to the 13-18 year old market, historically their most profitable. But, the increased niche fulfillment by such things as satellite radio and the internet has allowed for the talent to also rise to popularity, although sometimes measured in very different ways.

Basically, the biggest thing about artistic fields is that what is wildly popular at the time won't last if it isn't backed by considerable talent. Anyone can get lucky with a catchy tune, over the course of history, but few can produce a large volume of work that will remain popular to future generations. This is also the music that serves as the foundation for what comes next.

Colonel Kataffy
11-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Well, maybe your're right that the unappreciated-in-their-day bands are comparable from both eras. However, if you were to compare the popular bands from 1965-75 to the popular bands from 1995-2005, I think there is a clear candidate for golden age of music.

shant
11-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Thank you for the disclaimer. Listening to people I know discuss [censored] like this stoned is bad enough. Having to read yours and others stoned thoughts about it is enough to make me want to die.

MrMon
11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe your're right that the unappreciated-in-their-day bands are comparable from both eras. However, if you were to compare the popular bands from 1965-75 to the popular bands from 1995-2005, I think there is a clear candidate for golden age of music.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever find a copy of the Top 40 lists from 1965-75 on a weekly basis, you'll find out people had no taste back then as much as they do now. Here's a small sample of songs that made the Top 40 in 1966

[ QUOTE ]
19th Nervous Breakdown - The Rolling Stones (#2)
634-5789 (Soulsville, U.S.A.) - Wilson Pickett (#13)
7 and 7 Is - Love (#33)
96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians (#1)
98.6 - Keith (#7)
The "A" Team - Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler (#28)
Ain't Gonna Lie - Keith (#39)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations (#13)
Alfie - Cher (#32)
All I See Is You - Dusty Springfield (#20)
All Strung Out - Nino Tempo & April Stevens (#26)
Almost Persuaded - David Houston (#24)
Along Comes Mary - The Association (#7)
Are You Lonely for Me - Freddie Scott (#39)
At the Scene - The Dave Clark Five (#18)
At the Zoo - Simon & Garfunkel (#16)
B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas (#14)
Baby, Scratch My Back - Slim Harpo (#16) (instrumental)
Backstage - Gene Pitney (#25)
The Ballad Of Irving - Frank Gallop (#34)
Ballad Of the Green Berets - Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler (#1)
Band of Gold - Mel Carter (#32)
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Cher (#2)
Barbara Ann - The Beach Boys (#2)
Barefootin' - Robert Parker (#7)
"Batman" Theme - The Marketts (#17) (instrumental)
Batman Theme - Neal Hefti & His Orchestra (#35) (instrumental)
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - The Temptations (#3)
Billy and Sue - B.J. Thomas & the Triumphs (#34)
Black is Black - Los Bravos (#4)
Blowin' in the Wind - Stevie Wonder (#9)
Born a Woman - Sandy Posey (#12)
Born Free - Roger Williams (#7)
Breakin' Up Is Breakin' My Heart - Roy Orbison (#31)
Bus Stop - The Hollies (#5)
But It's Alright - J.J. Jackson (#22)
California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas (#4)
Call Me - Chris Montez (#22)
Caroline, No - Brian Wilson (#32)
The Cheater - Bob Kuban & The In-Men (#12)
Cherish - The Association (#1)
Cherry, Cherry - Neil Diamond (#6)
Come On, Let's Go - The McCoys (#22)
(Come 'Round Here) I'm the One You Need - The Miracles (#17)
Come Running Back - Dean Martin (#35)
Coming Home Soldier - Bobby Vinton (#11)
Coming on Strong - Brenda Lee (#11)
Cool Jerk - The Capitols (#7)
Cry - Ronnie Dove (#18)
Crying - Jay & The Americans (#25)
Crying Time - Ray Charles (#6)
Dandy - Herman's Hermits (#5)
The Dangling Conversation - Simon & Garfunkel (#25)
Day for Decision - Johnny Sea (#35)
Daydream - The Lovin' Spoonful (#2)
Day Tripper - The Beatles (#5)
Dedicated Follower of Fashion - The Kinks (#36)
Devil with a Blue Dress On / Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (#4)
Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind? - The Lovin' Spoonful (#2)
Dirty Water - The Standells (#11)
Distant Shores - Chad & Jeremy (#30)
Don't Bring Me Down - The Animals (#12)
Don't Mess with Bill - The Marvelettes (#7)
Double Shot (of My Baby's Love) - Swingin' Medallions (#17)
Dum-De-Da - Bobby Vinton (#40)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of crap in there.

Georgia Avenue
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
This is a very interesting post...I'm amazed cuz I was expecting, "Dude like the internet, y'no?"

Here's the thing...(Warning Sober Post!)...

I agree with the advantages of the new fluidity and availability of music nowadays, but in some sense this embarrassment of riches is causing a devaluing of the product. In less obnoxious terms, when I was a kid (around when you were), going to see a show (say, my first show: King Missile) was a big deal. A huge deal, really. It had a sort of mystical rituality associated with it…it felt like I was doing something with real importance. I couldn't hear or see this band anywhere else...The great new music was very hard to find…there was one good record store that I went to (Phantasmagoria in Wheaton MD) and I trusted the stringyhaired proprietor with my life. Even then, tho, the power of music was dying, because of the prevalence of mix tapes. Just about everything that was good in the late 80s I heard first because of mix-tapes. I can only imagine how precious and life-changing a new punk rock 7” in the late 70s must have seemed. And even more to my point, I saw a documentary recently about a Baltimore dance show (Amercan Bandstand-style, the basis for the show in Hairspray) that was a huge hit with African-Americans, even though it was blatantly racist and wouldn’t let black people come to the tapings, simply because it was the only place they could hear or see the performers they loved. I’m not talking some obscure musicians, I mean like Little Richard. Now I can’t get 50 cent, or even Talib Kweli, outta my face! I can’t avoid Sage Francis! Music is like a universal pop-up ad now, seeping between the cracks of everything. Sure we can FIND anything we want…but it’s a lot less valuable.

Bob Mould has some great stuff to say about this in the new Believer magazine…some of it is just grumpy old man grumbling, (see above) but some is spot on. Music is in danger of becoming wallpaper. Maybe this wouldn’t be the end of the world…but it would make me sad…This must be how a Jazz fan felt about electric guitars in the late 60s. “Geez, these things are everywhere now…maybe they won’t go away?!11!@”