PDA

View Full Version : Short BP routes in Olympic and Rainer NPs

Lance
06-24-2003, 02:07 AM
I haven't posted since the switch to UBB, and I think my last post was a request in this forum for good backpacking routes in Glacier NP for a trip I took up there last August. Well, according to the height of the noontime sun over San Diego, it's about time for this year's BP trip; this time it's to Washington.

Since I had such incredible success last year with finding routes through 2+2ers (thanks Ray and Ed I), I decided to come out of posting hibernation to solicit advice again this year. No one in our group has ever been to Washington, so we decided to cover as much ground as possible. Unfortunately most of it will be in the car. Everyone wants to see both Olympic and Rainier, but since we're only up there for 7 nights we're alloting just 2 nights in the backcountry in each park. Woefully inadequate, I am sure, but like I said, we were willing to sacrific detail for area. So if you know any good 1 or 2 nighters in either park, please share. For a poker site, there's a lot of great outdoors experience around these pages.

Ray: thanks again. Hole in the Wall is the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. I snapped a picture looking back at it as we were marching out, and it is the wallpaper on my computer desktop to this day. Looking at it makes me happy. I've been trying to find technical jobs in Whitefish ever since.

Lance

KJS
06-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Lance,

Too bad you don't have that much time. I think the wilderness coastline in Olympic National Park and Forest might be my favorite place on earth. But its a helluva drive from Rainier. If you want to do a one nighter on the ocean, go for a place called LaPush 2nd beach. Its in the NF so you can camp for free. Its only about 3/4 mile down. Best sunsets I have ever seen.

As far as Olympic NP, I would go for the Hoh Rainforest. Its the most unique ecosystem in the park (its the only temperate rainforest in the lower 48). Its a bit crowded close to the parking lot but if you have 2 days, you can get backcountry permits and go in enough miles to ditch everyone. Good fishing in the Hoh river too. Plan on getting rained on though. If you are worried about crowds, there is also rainforest on the Bogesheil River (Sp?). I have never been there so no comment on it.

Barring that, I like the Hurricane Ridge area, which is closer to the eastern edge of the NP, therefore closer to Rainier. There is also good backcountry valleys behind the big campground near the Elwah river. And great hotsprings near there as well. I would give you a bit more detail but the links to the maps section on the Olympic NP site are not working today. If you are worried about travel time, the whole eastern border of the NP is ringed by Olympic NF, which has views, trails and campgrounds that are just a nice as in the park. And usually less crowded.

I haven't been on any backcountry trips in Rainier. Only car camping there. Its a beautiful park too and I don't think most folks do a lot of backcountry stuff there. Tons of folks just drive as high as they can go and snap pictures.

KJS

Ray Zee
06-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Lance, thanks for the kind words. glad you had the trip you wanted.
as for ONP. i have been there a few times but no backcountry as you get soaked usually. watch the weather forecast and plan how you will go from there as you get close. the coastline is the prettiest but the whole area is wondeful. what KJS tells you is the way to go probably. your time frame will dictate your agenda anyway. too bad you dont have more time as along the way with little detours you have, lassen park in cali., crater lake which is beathtaking, and mt. st. helens which is worth a look but not worth the detour with your time short.
good stop along the way is mt. shasta for food. and a look at it.
one of my favorite parks is cascades nat. park east of seattle. some good high walks.