PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Bush pity party

11-13-2005, 11:01 PM
From Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/006989.php)

What a sorry, sorry, unfortunate president -- caught in his lies, his half-truths, his reckless disregard ... caught with, well ... caught with time. Time has finally caught up to him. And now he doesn't have the popularity to beat back all the people trying to call him to account. He could; but now he can't. So he's caught. And his best play is to accuse his critics of rewriting history, of playing fast and loose with the truth -- a sad, pathetic man.

Chronicling the full measure of the Bush administration's mendacity with regards to the war is a difficult task -- not because of a dearth of evidence for it but because of its so many layers, all its multidimensionality. It's almost like one of those Russian egg novelties in which each layer opened reveals another layer beneath it. Hard as it may be, in the interests of getting Mr. Bush past the phases of denial and anger, let's just hit on some of the main themes.

1. Longstanding effort to convince the American people that Iraq maintained ties to al Qaida and may have played a role in 9/11. This was always just a plain old lie. (And if you want to see where the real fights with the Intelligence Community came up, it was always on the terror tie angle and much less on WMD.) The president and his chief advisors tried to leverage Americans' horror over 9/11 to gain support for attacking Iraq. Simple: lying to the public the president was sworn to protect.

2. Repeated efforts to jam purported evidence about an Iraqi nuclear weapons program (the Niger canard) into major presidential speeches despite the fact the CIA believed the claim was not credible and tried to prevent the president from doing so. What's the explanation for that? At best a reckless disregard for the truth in making the case for war to the American public.

3. Consistent and longstanding effort to elide the distinction between chem-bio-weapons (which are terrible but no immediate threat to American security) and nuclear weapons (which are). For better or worse, there was a strong consensus within the foreign policy establishment that Iraq continued to stockpile WMDs. Nor was it an improbable assumption since Saddam had stockpiled and used such weapons before and, by 2002, had been free of on-site weapons inspections for almost four years. But what most observers meant by this was chemical and possibly biological weapons, not nuclear weapons. Big difference! The White House knew that this wasn't enough to get the country into war, so they pushed the threat of a nuclear-armed Saddam for which there was much, much less evidence.

4. The fact that the administration's push for war wasn't even about WMD in the first place. Scarcely a week goes by when I don't get an email from a reader who writes, "I always knew that Saddam didn't have WMDs. How is that you, with all your access and reporting, didn't know that too?" Good question. They were right. And I was wrong. But like many things in this reality-based universe of ours, this was a question subject to empirical inquiry. No one really knew what Saddam was doing between 1998 and 2002. And US intelligence made a lot of very poor assumptions based on sketchy hints and clues. But the solution, at least the first part of it, was to get inspectors in on the ground and actually find out. That is what President Bush's very credible threat of force had done by the Fall of 2002. But once there the inspectors began making pretty steady progress in showing that many of our suspicions about reconstituted WMD programs didn't bear out, the White House response was to begin trying to discredit the inspectors themselves. By early 2003, inspections had shown that there was no serious nuclear weapons effort underway -- the only sort of operation which could have represented a serious or imminent threat. From January of 2003 the administration went to work trying to insure that the war could be started before the rationale for war was entirely discredited. They wanted to create fait accomplis, facts on the ground that no subsequent information or developments could alter. The whole thing was a con. It wasn't about WMD.

Beneath these top-line points of dishonesty, there were second order ones, to be sure -- claims that the entire war would cost a mere $50 billion, insistence that the whole operation could be managed by only a fraction of the number of troops most experts believed it would take. Of course, these may be categorized as willful self-deceptions or gross irresponsibiity. And thus they are properly assigned to different sections of the Bush-Iraq Lies and Deceptions (BILD) bestiary than the cynical exploitation of lies and attempts to confuse proper.

In the president's new angle that his critics are trying to 'rewrite history', those critics might want to point out that his charge would be more timely after he stopped putting so much effort into obstructing any independent inquiry that could allow an accurate first draft of the history to be written. In any case, he must sense now that he's blowing into a fierce wind. The judgment of history hangs over this guy like a sharp, heavy knife. His desperation betrays him. He knows it too.

-- Josh Marshall

BCPVP
11-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Let's begin:
[ QUOTE ]
1. Longstanding effort to convince the American people that Iraq maintained ties to al Qaida and may have played a role in 9/11. This was always just a plain old lie. (And if you want to see where the real fights with the Intelligence Community came up, it was always on the terror tie angle and much less on WMD.) The president and his chief advisors tried to leverage Americans' horror over 9/11 to gain support for attacking Iraq. Simple: lying to the public the president was sworn to protect.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I'll readily admit I don't watch every speech by every Bush admin official, I've yet to hear anyone say that Saddam instructed or partnered with Al Qaeda to plot 9-11. If you can show me where they've done so, I'd be interested in seeing it. My guess is it comes from the leaps and assumptions of the anti-bush crowd.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Repeated efforts to jam purported evidence about an Iraqi nuclear weapons program (the Niger canard) into major presidential speeches despite the fact the CIA believed the claim was not credible and tried to prevent the president from doing so. What's the explanation for that? At best a reckless disregard for the truth in making the case for war to the American public.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the CIA was trying hard to get Bush not to say that, what's with Tenet's "slam dunk" comment?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Consistent and longstanding effort to elide the distinction between chem-bio-weapons (which are terrible but no immediate threat to American security) and nuclear weapons (which are). For better or worse, there was a strong consensus within the foreign policy establishment that Iraq continued to stockpile WMDs. Nor was it an improbable assumption since Saddam had stockpiled and used such weapons before and, by 2002, had been free of on-site weapons inspections for almost four years. But what most observers meant by this was chemical and possibly biological weapons, not nuclear weapons. Big difference! The White House knew that this wasn't enough to get the country into war, so they pushed the threat of a nuclear-armed Saddam for which there was much, much less evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing this is another assumption made by the author. I know what bio and chem weapons are and roughly the toll they could cause. I also knew that Saddam didn't yet have nuclear capability (because we wouldn't be attacking him if he did). The thought process, imo, was "Well he has chem and bio weapons and if left to his own devices will develop nukes, we should stop him before he gets them or it'll be too late."

11-14-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But once there the inspectors began making pretty steady progress in showing that many of our suspicions about reconstituted WMD programs didn't bear out, the White House response was to begin trying to discredit the inspectors themselves. By early 2003, inspections had shown that there was no serious nuclear weapons effort underway -- the only sort of operation which could have represented a serious or imminent threat. From January of 2003 the administration went to work trying to insure that the war could be started before the rationale for war was entirely discredited. They wanted to create fait accomplis, facts on the ground that no subsequent information or developments could alter. The whole thing was a con. It wasn't about WMD.

[/ QUOTE ]

This little tidbit is what makes the Bush lies so transparent. Before the war, when none of the inspectors were able to find any WMDs, Bush and his minions began to discredit the inspectors and attack the credibility of Hans Blix.

Mr. Blix, former chief U.N. arms inspector, was essentially accused of being an Iraqi sympathizer. He was totally villified by the Bush administration in this country. We now know that it was all a big lie and that the Bush administration did not care who they had to slander and destroy to fight their war for big oil in Iraq.

Republicans began their assault on U.N. inspectors even before the inspections had begun. In 2002, before any U.N. inspectors had even arrived in Iraq, Rumsfeld said the upcoming inspections would be a "sham."

The evidence is there for anyone that takes the time to read and understand it. President Bush knew that Iraq didn't have WMDs, but he pushed this country into a costly and deadly war anyway. Shameful.

USA Today link presenting the story in child-sized chunks for Republicans (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-03-02-un-wmd_x.htm)

[ QUOTE ]
But U.N. reports submitted to the Security Council before the war by Hans Blix, former chief U.N. arms inspector, and Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, have been largely validated by U.S. weapons teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

jman220
11-14-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While I'll readily admit I don't watch every speech by every Bush admin official, I've yet to hear anyone say that Saddam instructed or partnered with Al Qaeda to plot 9-11. If you can show me where they've done so, I'd be interested in seeing it. My guess is it comes from the leaps and assumptions of the anti-bush crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were numerous claims in Bush speeches that Iraq and Saddam had ties to Al Qaeda (although not specifically September 11). This was shown to be patently false later, there had been one meeting years earlier between Al Qaeda contacts and Hussein, and that it didn't go well, mostly because Al Qaeda is made up of religious fundamentalists, and Saddam's regime was one of the most secular governments in the Middle East. (I'm not saying it was a good regime, just a very secular one for that area of the world). Personally, even though I'm a Democrat, I'm not oppoosed to the Iraq war, or the concept of nation-building and spreading democracy (something that Bill Clinton was constantly being attacked for by Republicans). What I do take issue with is the fact that the President felt he had to mislead the American people as to his reasons for invading Iraq. We're a relatively intelligent country, we would have understood the reasons. The Iraq war has also clearly been handled incompetently, and I hope that the next democratic President is able to achieve victory over there where this incompetent administration has been unable to.

jt1
11-14-2005, 02:08 AM
BCPVP: Thank you for your honest objections. I admire you commitment to the truth; your willingness to hear the other side and possibly change your mind if convinced.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an Iraqi refugee who maintained that Saddam had several high level contacts with al qaida. His testimoney was quoted fairly often by the admidistration and the media who were doing honest independent research on the matter. Furthermore, Rice has repeatedly stated that Iraq is a part of the war on terror. The refugee communities assertions have since been discredited.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

If the CIA was trying hard to get Bush not to say that, what's with Tenet's "slam dunk" comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tenant was referring to the WMD not to nuclear weapons. Saddam had no nuclear weapons so there could be no smoking gun that he was trying to get them. It is well documented that Cheney and Rummy knew that the CIA disapproved of the Nigerian document. I don't have the energy to do the research myself. My memory usually serves me well but if you want me to do some, just PM me.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing this is another assumption made by the author. I know what bio and chem weapons are and roughly the toll they could cause. I also knew that Saddam didn't yet have nuclear capability (because we wouldn't be attacking him if he did). The thought process, imo, was "Well he has chem and bio weapons and if left to his own devices will develop nukes, we should stop him before he gets them or it'll be too late."

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush's rhetoric was able to get inspectors on the ground before the invasion. They left before the bombs began dropping. It would have been significantly more difficult to get nuclear weapons with inspectors having access to every part of the country including Saddam's palaces and the ability to transport Iraqi scientist out of the country for questioning.

I hate Bush because he was incompetent not because he lied. I'm beginning to think he may have lied.

BCPVP
11-14-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There were numerous claims in Bush speeches that Iraq and Saddam had ties to Al Qaeda (although not specifically September 11).

[/ QUOTE ]
It looks like you fell into the trap I figured people who assume Bush lied on this fall into. I won't dispute that Bush's speeches have mentioned ties between Iraq and Al Qaeda, but I still haven't heard him tie Iraq to 9-11.

[ QUOTE ]
This was shown to be patently false later

[/ QUOTE ]
If you could provide such info, I'd be obliged. From what I've read in the past there were many connections, although there wasn't yet an operational link. Some more info:
http://www.techcentralstation.com/092503F.html
http://www.husseinandterror.com/
And even the 9-11 commission admits there were links but no collobartive connections (i.e. Saddam didn't help al Qaeda blow anything up yet).
Even if there were 0 connections to al Qaeda, Saddam is still supportive of other terrorist groups and, when last I checked, it's the War on Terror, not the War on Al Qaeda. This implies that if al Qaeda is defeated, we can all go home and relax.

[ QUOTE ]
The Iraq war has also clearly been handled incompetently, and I hope that the next democratic President is able to achieve victory over there where this incompetent administration has been unable to.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in knowing what a Democrat President would do differently to acive victory, if by victory you don't mean pulling out.

11-14-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like you fell into the trap I figured people who assume Bush lied on this fall into. I won't dispute that Bush's speeches have mentioned ties between Iraq and Al Qaeda, but I still haven't heard him tie Iraq to 9-11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush is a slippery bastard. Like most snakes, he's tough to get a handle on. The Bush administration has mostly implied ties between Iraq and 9/11:

[ QUOTE ]
While not explicitly declaring Iraqi culpability in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, administration officials did, at various times, imply a link. In late 2001, Cheney said it was "pretty well confirmed" that attack mastermind Mohamed Atta had met with a senior Iraqi intelligence official. Later, Cheney called Iraq the "geographic base of the terrorists who had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Bush, in 2003, said "the battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50679-2004Jun17.html

BCPVP
11-14-2005, 02:57 AM
So what part of "While not explicitly declaring Iraqi culpability in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, administration officials did, at various times, imply a link." don't you get? A link != "Saddam helped al Qaeda orchestrate 9-11".

Cyrus
11-14-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what part of "While not explicitly declaring Iraqi culpability in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, administration officials did, at various times, imply a link." don't you get?
<font color="white">. </font>
A link != "Saddam helped al Qaeda orchestrate 9-11".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right. Saddam Hussein was the producer and bin Laden the director, or rather the maestro. Ain't no two ways about it. Just damn unlucky we did not catch bin Laden's sorry behind in one of 'em Saddam palaces! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

...That "link" belongs to the same category of lies as that other howler about Saddam wanting "to kill my dad", as Dubya put it.