PDA

View Full Version : Some measurement other than BB/100...?

DCWGaming
11-13-2005, 11:00 PM
In Greensteins book he uses a % edge measurement instead of BB/100. At the time I thought it seemed kinda goofy, but now that I think about it, that seems like a more efficient system, especially with sites other than party becoming popular and the different rake structures.

In addition to the rake structure, it seems that as your Avg players # goes down, your rake % goes up QUICK.

A % edge would be measurable right? If so, does anybody think this measurement could become standard? I sure would like it, but dunno if it would catch on...

But a % edge and a % rake would not only be more efficient, but more encouraging to newbies like me who are beating the players, but not the rake /images/graemlins/wink.gif

thoughts?

w_alloy
11-13-2005, 11:08 PM
A simpler solution is just measure base BB/100, instead of (BB/100-BBrake/100). If you want to use a %, you need to set a number of hands for this to be over. It would be harder to measure (either with or without rake) but only because PT doesnt have this number all over the place; it would still be relatively easy.

It only makes sense for tournaments where it is already used, called ROI (not sure if they include rake or not).

I dont see how this helps or changes anything.

ghostface
11-14-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
called ROI (not sure if they include rake or not).

[/ QUOTE ]

Its included.

11-14-2005, 02:31 AM
This might not be along the lines of % edge but......

For the multi-tabling pro, there is a number that is much more important than BB/100. That number is the true hourly win rate. While it's true that a superstar 10/20 player can win at 3BB/100 while 1-2 tabling, he makes less money hourly than the 8-tabler who wins at 1BB/100.

None of us are working on unlimited time, so it's definitely a factor used when calculating monthly or yearly earn.....Not to mention the benefits of RB when playing more hands in a shorter time frame.

Spicymoose
11-14-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For the multi-tabling pro, there is a number that is much more important than BB/100. That number is the true hourly win rate. While it's true that a superstar 10/20 player can win at 3BB/100 while 1-2 tabling, he makes less money hourly than the 8-tabler who wins at 1BB/100.

None of us are working on unlimited time, so it's definitely a factor used when calculating monthly or yearly earn.....Not to mention the benefits of RB when playing more hands in a shorter time frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hourly win rate is definetly important, but I think an even more overlooked stat is Rate of Improvement. Our learning of poker is done partially by books, partially by reading 2+2, partially by posting in 2+2, partially by thinking about the game on the spot in real time, and partially by noticing how opponents play against us. These last two go way down as the number of tables goes up. That isn't to say that multitabling is inherently bad, but the more you can actually focus and think on a game, the more you are investing in increasing your future BB/100 and therefore your future hourly rate of multitabling.

Nietzsche
11-14-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hourly win rate is definetly important, but I think an even more overlooked stat is Rate of Improvement. Our learning of poker is done partially by books, partially by reading 2+2, partially by posting in 2+2, partially by thinking about the game on the spot in real time, and partially by noticing how opponents play against us. These last two go way down as the number of tables goes up. That isn't to say that multitabling is inherently bad, but the more you can actually focus and think on a game, the more you are investing in increasing your future BB/100 and therefore your future hourly rate of multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to mention that poker becomes a lot more stressful (and less fun) when you play lots of tables, and the risk of bigger down swings increase. In the long run the hourly earn may actually be better when playing fewer tables because there is less risk of burnout (or long breaks to recover). The mental health aspect is super important in this tough game.