PDA

View Full Version : What is this game called?

protocol
11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Once again, I need OOT's help to settle an argument.
Earlier today, I was involved in a discussion with 4 of my friends. We were reminiscing about a game that we all played as kids, and that I assume that most of you have as well.

For those who haven't, it is a simple game played with a football, with any number of players, every-man-for-himself, basically with the goal of beating the [censored] out of whoever has the ball. In the most popular version, when you are tackled, you have to throw the ball into the air, and someone else takes over.

Amazingly, between the 5 of us, we each referred to the game by a different name.

PokerFink
11-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Commonly played in my elementary school days. We called it "Kill the Cow."

Where the name came from, I have no idea.

siccjay
11-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Smeer the queer.

11-13-2005, 10:44 PM
We called it Kill the 'Guy' with the Ball.

Ulysses
11-13-2005, 10:44 PM
That game is Smear the Queer. Period.

11-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Smear the Queer, but not with a football. Usually with a hackey sack or something. very fun [censored].

Ulysses
BTW, the guy who calls it "Fumbly Wumbly" probably isn't a big fan of the game's real name.

HopeydaFish
[ QUOTE ]
Smeer the queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that also called a Cleveland Steamer?

B00T
Whoever said the name of the game was Fumbly Wumbly needs to be taken into an alley and beaten by the rest of you.

Ulysses
11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smear the Queer, but not with a football. Usually with a hackey sack or something. very fun [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course w/ a football. Jesus, what the f is wrong w/ all you kids. No wonder you guys are scared of mice like little bitches.

mason55
11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
This thread makes me want to cray.

Smean the queer. No Question. With a (American) football.

chuddo
11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
im with siccjay and el d on this one. smear the queer.

though i have heard 'kill the man with the ball' in the past when i was a kid. usually followed by "you mean smear the queer?".

what a sweet game.

TimM
11-13-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dudd
11-13-2005, 10:50 PM
We called it Kill the Carrier. No one ever referred to it as Smear the Queer.

Russ McGinley
11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

siccjay
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys were wrong.

Aces McGee
[ QUOTE ]
Of course w/ a football

[/ QUOTE ]

A football is of course preferable, but lack of a football should not keep people from playing this game.

-McGee

11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
smear the queer

11-13-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course w/ a football. Jesus, what the f is wrong w/ all you kids. No wonder you guys are scared of mice like little bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

We played with a football a couple of times, but a hackey sack was easier to sidearm at peoples faces and nutsacks.

GoCubsGo
11-13-2005, 10:55 PM
This is called smear the queer. I've heard smear the queer about 400 times and kill the carrier about twice.

utmt40
11-13-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smeer the queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

TomHimself
11-13-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Los Feliz Slim
11-13-2005, 11:03 PM
We just called it "Kill the Guy".

protocol
11-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Wow, I had no idea that this poll was going to be so lopsided. Whenever I played this game, it was Fumble Rumble, occasionally Kill The Man With The Ball.

In fact, today was the first time I've ever heard "Smear The Queer"

daryn
11-13-2005, 11:05 PM
we called it "kill the kid with the ball"

smear the queer wouldn't work in boston because smear and queer don't even rhyme when spoken with the typical boston accent

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-13-2005, 11:06 PM
We always called it "Maul Ball." Sadly, this was the single sport I excelled in as a child, and it never made the Olympics.

tonypaladino
11-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Kill the carrier.

tonypaladino
11-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Any game where you beat people up is great. We also used to play Fuckup Suicide.

11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smeer the queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of it being called somthing else.

11-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Please explain FuckUp Suicide.

Also, we always called it smear the queer, as the results of the poll show.

ZeeJustin
11-13-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DukeSucks
11-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Kill the Man with the Ball, although when playing in other neighborhoods, Smear the Queer did come up.

We also played one where one guy would stand away from the rest of the group and throw high popups to the group with a tennis ball. Everyone would fight it out and try to catch it in the air.

Los Feliz Slim
11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We also played one where one guy would stand away from the rest of the group and throw high popups to the group with a tennis ball. Everyone would fight it out and try to catch it in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like "500" to me.

cokehead
11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smear the queer

Smear the queer (also called smear) is a rougher tag variant more common among older children and teenagers. In this game, "it" is instead called "the queer" (the word is used in the Victorian sense of "strange person" rather than the modern definition of "homosexual", though contemporary players may interpret it in the latter sense). The queer does not try to tag the other players; instead, he tries to avoid being tagged, or, more often, tackled (knocked down to the ground).

Smear the queer is often played with an object such as a ball which is held by the "queer". Once the "queer" is tagged or tackled, he throws the object into the air. The other players then try to grab the object, thus becoming the new "queer". Unlike other forms of tag, those who stay "it" the longest are considered the best players.

It is also sometimes called "Kill the Carrier", "Kill the guy with the ball", "Kill the dill with the pill", "Keep off" or "Cream the Carrier".

The Japanese variant "Shippo-tori" is somewhat similar to smear the queer. In this variant, every player carries an object, usually a handkerchief, and is considered "it." A player is eliminated from the game when another player still in the game takes his object; the winner is the last player to retain his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maul Ball sounds familar to me too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag

SackUp
11-13-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

siccjay
11-13-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like "500" to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. I had forgot about this one.

Brainwalter
11-13-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

smear the queer wouldn't work in boston because smear and queer don't even rhyme when spoken with the typical boston accent

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill the kid with the ball does?

TheNoodleMan
11-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Sadly, the PC crap that has swept this country is going to kill smear the queer. I think we ought to start an orginization dedicated to saving it. Who's with me?

daryn
11-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we did this with a football.. in a pool

daryn
11-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill the kid with the ball does?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, clearly it doesn't. are you retarded?

Brainwalter
11-13-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, the PC crap that has swept this country is going to kill smear the queer. I think we ought to start an orginization dedicated to saving it. Who's with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear hear.

ozyman
11-13-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up about 25 miles northwest of Boston, we called it Smear the Queer but our accents weren't that bad.

ozyman
11-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Slightly offtopic, has anyone ever heard of the game Duck Duck Goose being called anything eles. In college two kids from Minnesota said it was called Duck Duck Grey Duck. WTF?

11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slightly offtopic, has anyone ever heard of the game Duck Duck Goose being called anything eles. In college two kids from Minnesota said it was called Duck Duck Grey Duck. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
never again

tonypaladino
11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please explain FuckUp Suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regular suicide is played with a blue rubber ball on a handball court. a player throws the ball against the wall. IF someone catches the ball, the catcher must try to hit the thrower with the ball before he tags the wall. If the ball hits the wall and then someone else, a player retrieves the ball and tries to hit the person who previously got hit before he tags the wall. Unless "no headhunting" is explicitly declared, you should try to hit people in the head whenever possible.

In the fuckup variety, instead of throwing the ball on the person whos ball was caught/hit by the ball, as many players as possible have to beat the [censored] out of the person until he either tags the wall or has been completely knocked to the floor.

Voltron87
11-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Why didn't you all just play free for all dodgeball like everyone else? We called it killerball. Lots of fun. We also played homicide, you throw a raquetball against a wall and other people have to catch it. If you catch it on the fly you get to bean the kid who threw it originally. You get until he touches the main wall. If someone is catching the ball on the bounce and drops it it works the same way.

Alex Levin
11-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Umm, we always called it Kill The Man With The Ball. Simple and descrpitive. Wtf is this smear the queer crap. That makes no sense at all.

Brainwalter
11-14-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Regular suicide is played with a blue rubber ball on a handball court. a player throws the ball against the wall. IF someone catches the ball, the catcher must try to hit the thrower with the ball before he tags the wall. If the ball hits the wall and then someone else, a player retrieves the ball and tries to hit the person who previously got hit before he tags the wall. Unless "no headhunting" is explicitly declared, you should try to hit people in the head whenever possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

We called it wallball, but I've heard suicide.

TheIrishThug
11-14-2005, 12:14 AM
sadly i grew up in the pc era so it was kill the man with the ball, but have known for a while that it was reffered to as smear the queer in an older time.

either way, suicide was more popular where i'm from.

siccjay
11-14-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, we always called it Kill The Man With The Ball. Simple and descrpitive. Wtf is this smear the queer crap. That makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are outnumbered. Give up now youngin.

B00T
11-14-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smear the queer

Smear the queer (also called smear) is a rougher tag variant more common among older children and teenagers. In this game, "it" is instead called "the queer" (the word is used in the Victorian sense of "strange person" rather than the modern definition of "homosexual", though contemporary players may interpret it in the latter sense). The queer does not try to tag the other players; instead, he tries to avoid being tagged, or, more often, tackled (knocked down to the ground).

Smear the queer is often played with an object such as a ball which is held by the "queer". Once the "queer" is tagged or tackled, he throws the object into the air. The other players then try to grab the object, thus becoming the new "queer". Unlike other forms of tag, those who stay "it" the longest are considered the best players.

It is also sometimes called "Kill the Carrier", "Kill the guy with the ball", "Kill the dill with the pill", "Keep off" or "Cream the Carrier".

The Japanese variant "Shippo-tori" is somewhat similar to smear the queer. In this variant, every player carries an object, usually a handkerchief, and is considered "it." A player is eliminated from the game when another player still in the game takes his object; the winner is the last player to retain his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maul Ball sounds familar to me too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag

[/ QUOTE ]

These names just get dumber and dumber.

eviljeff
11-14-2005, 12:27 AM
when's the last time you played 3 solid hours of Butts Up?

edtost
11-14-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in fact, this post is the first time i've ever heard "smear the queer"

27offsuit
11-14-2005, 01:51 PM
"muckle" or "rumble fumble"

Duffman
11-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Me and my friends called it "The Champ", and whoever has the ball is the champ and gets [censored] up.

IndieMatty
11-14-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Maybe its a NY/Tri State thing? and everywhere else it is "Smear the Queer" ?

RustedCorpse
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smeer the queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that also called a Cleveland Steamer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland Steamer is when you have a one night stand, take a dump on her chest the next morning and leave without her waking up. Another childhood game.

CrazyEyez
11-14-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"muckle" or "rumble fumble"

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ.
This thread is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

CrazyEyez
11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What you have to take into account is that people from Minnesota are [censored] idiots. I learned it the hard way - grew up in San Diego and now live in MN.

11-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Its Clearly Smear the Queer the only other thing Ive ever heard it referred to is, is Fumbly Wumbly and that was because we were in grammar school and there was PC crap that stopped us fro saying Queer

aragorn_i
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I think I hold the record for most mass detentions at once.45 5th and 6th graders for breaking a kids leg during recess while playing, wait for it, Smear the queer.Good times

-Skeme-
11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr_J
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Kill the dill with the pill.

wayabvpar
11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the guy who calls it "Fumbly Wumbly" probably isn't a big fan of the game's real name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic. El D, I nearly choked when I read this. Kudos.

11-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Are y'all from five different places? In Texas, the boys always called this game Smear the Queer.

11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
definitely called smear the queer. i went to a catholic school so we were trained to target gays. not that i do, im hindu /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hellrazor
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Maybe its a NY/Tri State thing? and everywhere else it is "Smear the Queer" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another NY vote for "Kill the guy with the ball" Only other name I heard it by was "Kill the carrier"... First time I am hearing "smear the queer" is in this thread.

Senor Cardgage
11-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm from Tennessee and it was always "Kill the Guy with the Ball". Never heard of Smear the Queer till just now.

protocol
11-14-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are y'all from five different places? In Texas, the boys always called this game Smear the Queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are all from NY State, but since we all met each other in college, we're all from different parts.

If anyone cares, here's who thought what:

City of Buffalo: Fumble Rumble
Buffalo suburb: Fumbly Wumbly
Rochester area: Kill the Carrier
Syracuse area: Smear the Queer
Binghamton area: Kill the Man with the Ball

mostsmooth
11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We just called it "Kill the Guy".

[/ QUOTE ]
us too

woodguy
11-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Wow.

We called it smear the queer up here in Edmonon, Albeta back in the mid-80's when I was a kid.

No [censored].

Must be genetic.

Regards,
Woodguy